Thread: Group by and also a sargable question.

King of sapila

Group by and also a sargable question.

Hi.

Code:
      LEFT JOIN tblBooking_Header BH ON BH.TransC_lgnNumber = I.TransI_lgnNumber
    	LEFT JOIN tblItem_Class IC
    					ON	IC.Class_strCode = IT.Class_strCode 

LEFT JOIN tblWorkstation W
    					ON	W.Workstation_strCode = ISNULL(BI.TransI_strPickupWorkstn,I.Workstation_strCode)

--where I.TransI_strType = 'S' --if like so we do not get refunded items
              where IT.Item_strBookingFee <> 'Y'                              --Exclude Booking Fees
              AND ISNULL(BI.TransI_strPickupWorkstn,'') NOT LIKE '%UNRED%' 		

and 
    CASE WHEN ISNULL(I.TransI_decNoOfItems,0) < 0 THEN I.TransI_dtmRealTransTime --Refund
                     ELSE CASE WHEN BH.BookingH_intNextBookingNo IS NULL THEN I.TransI_dtmRealTransTime ELSE I.TransI_dtmDateCollected END
                END between '20170902 06:00:00' and '20171011 05:59:59'

and CASE 
    	        WHEN ISNULL(TransI_decNoOfItems,0) < 0 THEN 'C'  --Refund
    	        ELSE CASE TransI_strStatus WHEN 'R' THEN 'R' ELSE 'V' END
    	        END  = 'V' --Transaction Status C:Refund, V:Valid, R:Refunded			

-- remove inline recipre
    			and TransI_curValueEach > 0
    			group by BH.BookingH_strPickupWorkstn,ISNULL(BH.BookingH_strPickupWorkstn,I.Workstation_strCode),BH.BookingH_intNextBookingNo

First a quick question.
    Am I correct to group by ISNULL(BH.BookingH_strPickupWorkstn,I.Workstation_strCode) as per the select statement?
    When I group by only by I.Workstation_strCode I get the same results but I do not group on a broad range right now.

OK Next. I get A table scan on tbltrans_inventory and a missing query.
    As I cannot temper with the database, I cannot insert any indexes, so I was hoping to somehow make the cast better.

An problem may be the like ‘%unread%’ but unfortunately I cannot remove the beginning % . However when I remove the like , I get the same execution table scan.

I also removed the casts on the select clause and the execution plan breaks down to index scans on tbltrans_inventory.

But from what I can see the problem seems to originate from the 2 case, on the and statement.

Lastly, let me say that the query does not take a long time to execute but I guess this may have to do with the new servers we have installed a month ago. So this is not actually a very huge problem but I would appreciate some thoughts, as we will be running this also on older servers from time to time.

Thanks.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Re: Group by and also a sargable question.

AND ISNULL(BI.TransI_strPickupWorkstn,'') NOT LIKE '%UNRED%'

"UNRED" or "UNREAD"?? the code has "UNRED" as in "not red" but your comments are "UNREAD" as in "I haven't read it" .... normally I'd chalk it up to a typo, but I doubt your code is typed in by hand, it looks copy/paste to me, which means it is probably like that in production. Not that it's a source of any issues, other than you're not getting results you should be getting.

That said...
    Am I correct to group by ISNULL(BH.BookingH_strPickupWorkstn,I.Workstation_strCode) as per the select statement?
    I believe so... it's going to be grouping by the results of the expression, so if it is a non-aggregated expression in the select, it should be part of the group by. The only time I've found that I don't need to include non-aggregated fields from the select in my group by is when they are static values: variables, hard-coded text or numbers, things that are not going to change from row to row.

I'm not sure about the rest.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

King of sapila

Re: Group by and also a sargable question.

Yes we use a pattern from the initial code and I put stuff in.

Unred as Unredeemed
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·