Thread: Get rid of Highlights

Fanatic Member

Get rid of Highlights

This is not a hair thing.

Here is an example of a form that is highlighting controls.

Name:  change Request.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  42.6 KB

This is the form as it is displayed after the load event is executed. I would really prefer to not have any of these controls highlighted. I have looked for a properties setting for that and have been unable to find one.

Re: Get rid of Highlights

Well, unless they are custom controls, they don't magically highlight their text unless there's code added to highlight the text. So, no, you're not going to find a property for it. At least not directly. There's probably code somewhere that sets the SelectionStart and SelectionLength (or SelStart, SelLength)... so look for that.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Fanatic Member

Well Tech, I can assure you that there is nowhere in the code (or otherwise) that I asked those controls to be highlighted. I searched through the code and the nearest thing I found to that was where I set all three of the comboboxes to SelectedIndex = -1. I also set tabstops and TabIndex on some of the controls.

It's also worth noting that the HideSelection property controls whether selected text is highlighted when a TextBox doesn't have focus. That said, I think that the highlight is blue when focused and grey when not. I haven't tested to confirm that though.

Fanatic Member

It would appear then that the focus should be set to off/false for those controls. How does one do that?

Quote Originally Posted by gwboolean View Post
    It would appear then that the focus should be set to off/false for those controls. How does one do that?
    No it would not. Only one control can have focus at a time, so the issue can't possibly be that multiple controls have focus.

Fanatic Member

That is a very good thing to know JM. Perhaps you might be willing to enlighten me as to what might be causing this phenomenon and how to remediate the cause?

I've already given you all the information you need on the only cause I can think of based on standard functionality. If it's some custom control that we don't know about then we can't really help. If it's a standard TextBox then you already have all you need from us. If you aren't willing to read the documentation for a property when someone refers you to it then that's up to you.

Fanatic Member

OK JM. Thanks for the help. By the way, it is absolutely not a custom control. I am curious as to what this helpful and comprehensive documentation is that you are referring to though JM? Certainly I looked up the information on the properties you suggested. The information provided........ nothing.

GW

I'm a bit confused as to which controls you are referring

1. Cyan
      • Change ID
      • Item Supplier ID
      • Change Type
      • e-File Directory Path
    2. Blue
      • Title Name
      • Item Owner
      • Item Manager
      • Where Used

Could you clarify

Spoo

Certainly I looked up the information on the properties you suggested. The information provided........ nothing.
    Either you don't know how to look, you don't know how to use simple information or your issue is caused by something unrelated. The documentation for the HideSelection property would have told you that it can be set to True, in which case selected text is not highlighted when the control does not have focus, or to False, in which case selected text will be highlighted when the control does not have focus. I'm not sure how much simpler it could be.

OK JM. Thanks for the help. By the way, it is absolutely not a custom control. I am curious as to what this helpful and comprehensive documentation is that you are referring to though JM? Certainly I looked up the information on the properties you suggested. The information provided........ nothing.
    well the Form Load Code would help to see what's going on.

here some Code to check your Control properties ..
    start with the first Textbox
    Code:
    Imports System
    Imports System.Drawing
    Imports System.Windows.Forms
    Imports System.Reflection

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
    'place your textbox here
            Call EnumObjectProperties(TextBox1, ListBox1)
        End Sub

Private Sub EnumObjectProperties(ByVal ctrl As Object, ByRef lb As ListBox)
            Dim Item As PropertyInfo
            Dim gt As Type = ctrl.GetType

For Each Item In gt.GetProperties(BindingFlags.Public Or BindingFlags.Instance)
                Dim hObject As Object
                If Item.CanRead Then
                    Try
                        hObject = Item.GetValue(ctrl, BindingFlags.Public Or BindingFlags.GetProperty, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing)
                        lb.Items.Add(Item.Name & " > " & hObject.ToString())
                    Catch ex As Exception
                        lb.Items.Add(Item.Name & " > " & "can't get Value")
                    End Try
                End If
            Next
        End Sub
    or try this..
    (but this is really cheating yourself with a workaround)

Code:
     Private Shared Sub ClearTB(ByRef frm As System.Windows.Forms.Form)
            For Each ctrl As Control In frm.Controls
                If TypeOf ctrl Is TextBox Then
                    DirectCast(ctrl, TextBox).SelectionStart = 0
                End If
            Next
        End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            Call ClearTB(Me)
        End Sub
    regards
    Chris
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

As a simple test, I'd implement the Shown event handler for the form and set the focus explicitly to one of the textboxes. I feel like you could replicate this behavior on certain types for forms, but it wouldn't be easy, so you certainly didn't do it by accident. If setting the focus, or explicitly selecting one textbox, changes the appearance, then...you haven't fixed a thing, but it might give you some place to start.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Fanatic Member

Either you didn't bother thinking it through or you are just intentionally being obtuse. Yes JM, I did read the information. Yes JM I set to both true and false and yes JM the information provided almost nothing of use. I am not sure how much simpler that could be.

Fanatic Member

Spooman,

The controls I am referring to is a single textbox (title/Name) and the three comboboxes. All of these controls already had data in them prior to the load event. Additionally, in running the app, I have noticed that only those controls behave that way. Furthermore, these same controls, if empty, are not highlighted after the load event. Anyway, here is the pertinent code for the load event:

Code:
                    Try
                        Me.LnkChangeRequestTableAdapter.FillByChangeNum(Me._MasterBase4_0ItemMasterDataSet.lnkChangeRequest, glbintCRNum)
                        glbstrBaseCategory = Me._MasterBase4_0ItemMasterDataSet.lnkChangeRequest(0).strMasterBaseType
                        DisplayAdmin()
    DisplayAdmin is a sub routine used to set properties on the form for a particular usage. For this usage the settings below define the properties for the controls of interest. No other property settings, in the properties window, were set to anything different than the default settings.

Code:
            With txtTitle
                .BackColor = Color.Snow
                .ReadOnly = False
                .TabStop = True
                .TabIndex = 0
            End With
            With txtRev
                .BackColor = Color.Snow
                .ReadOnly = False
                .TabStop = True
                .TabIndex = 1
            End With
            'grpChangeRequest
            With lblChangeType
                .BackColor = Color.LightSteelBlue
                .Enabled = False
                .TabStop = True
                .TabIndex = 2
            End With
            With cmbOwner
                .BackColor = Color.Snow
                .Enabled = True
                .TabStop = True
                .TabIndex = 3
            End With
            With cmbManager
                .BackColor = Color.Snow
                .Enabled = True
                .TabStop = True
                .TabIndex = 4
            End With
            With cmbWhere
                .BackColor = Color.Snow
                .Enabled = True
                .TabStop = True
                .TabIndex = 5
            End With

Hi, this is a weird one....
    I wonder if HideSelection in the textboxes proprety window its set to false?
    Last edited by Mike Storm; Oct 4th, 2017 at 10:14 AM.

Fanatic Member

I have been looking through what I have on this form and it has become obvious that the .tabstop settings in some way relates to this. There are three containers that contain controls that have .TabStop = True and the containers .TabIndex are set to 0, 1 and 2 respectively (Change Information groupbox, Change Request groupbox and Change Order groupbox). Within the group boxes I have set the .TabIndex in the order I would like tabbing to occur.

Since the textbox (labeled Title/Name) is in the container with the lowest .TabIndex and since it has the lowest setting in that container it is where the cursor will be when the form is loaded. I expect that to be highlighted (although I would prefer no highlights at all). So the question is, why are all three of the comboboxes in the second container highlighted?

Fanatic Member

Mike,

I have played around a little bit with the HideSelect property and have noticed no difference in behavior whether set to False or True. The fact is that all of the controls have the default setting for this, which is True. Of course that doesn't mean that I am wrong and there are some that might have been set accidentally. I am looking through everything as we speak to see if that might be the case.

Fanatic Member

It has become apparent that the whole issue seems to be with the comboboxes. Based on a little experimentation I have found that if the .TabStop = True, for any combobox, it will be highlighted. And conversely, if the .TabStop = False for any combobox it will not be highlighted. I had not noticed this in the past because I did not usually set .TabStop = True for comboboxes. While I would like to know why this behavior occurs, it seems that the easy course is just to not tab through the comboboxes.

It will be related to your code or propertyes set in the property window, i use tabstop on mine, actualy my forms normaly have KeyPreview set to true, and i supress Enter key and use send key {TAB}, so that when the user presses enter in a combo or in a textbox insted of hear the anoing sound, the sound is supressed and it moves to the next control.

Another way to test that, and as a wild guess what i think is happening there is that somewhere in you code you are setting the value of does combos using comboname.selectedindex/comboname.selectedtext=something, you can add a combobox and bind it to the same as where used one in your form, and see if it does the same.
    Last edited by Mike Storm; Oct 4th, 2017 at 11:09 AM. Reason: i ment test, not text... my bad spealing

Fanatic Member

Mike,

I did check all of the HideSelection properties for all of the controls in the properties window. They were all set to True. Comboboxes do not have this property. Funny thing, I have never used the Enter Key and always use the Tab Key when moving through controls. This is even true when I am using any application at anytime. I never even noticed that I did that. I guess that is why I never hear any sound (it would be annoying).

I tried it with the KeyPreview set to True and the comboboxes are all still highlighted if the .TabStops are set to True.

Keypreview will not solve that issue, was just to give u a exemple that its not TABStop that is doing that.
    Is there any code seting the value of does combos?

Fanatic Member

I think you got me Mike. I do set the comboboxes to .SelectedIndex = -1 in the code in a single sub routine where I am generating a new change request. However, this subroutine is not called in the sequence that I am running here. I do not see how that could have an effect.

The comboboxes are bound though. They are bound to what I call lookup tables (I use these instead of collections). Each of them has their .Text set to the change request table.

a way to check that is to add a new combo, bind it to the same value as the "Where used" for exemple, and do not add any other code, ans see what it does.

As for the fact that you like to style each control, an alternative that will save you many lines of code is to have a Module in you app, name it for exemple MyControlStyles, and in this module create a sub for each style:
    Code:
    Module yControlStyles

Sub DGV_READONLY(MyDGV as Datagridview)

With MyDGV
    .Readonly=true
    'And subsequente properties you wnat to set
    End With

End Sub

Sub MyBlueTextbox(MyTextBox as textbox)
    With MyTextBox 
    .backcolor =color.Red
    'And subsequente properties you wnat to set
    End With

end sub

End Module

'Then under you form load event you only need to 

Private Sub Yourform_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

MyBlueTextbox(textbox1)

end sub

GW

OK, so we've narrowed it down to the ComboBoxes ("blue" set of controls)

Truth be told, I don't have VB.Net
    But, FWIW, I noticed a similar behavior with VB6
    • If TabStop = True .. get a blue highlight
    • If TabStop = False .. don't

Spoo

Fanatic Member

Thanks Spoo.

Mike, I am going to have to drop this for awhile. Just got a phishing call about ICloud and data and they want me to call them back (damn sure won't). I need to spend some time going through and making sure that whomever they are that they are not already into my computer. As soon as I get the chance I will do as you suggested and see what occurs. Later man.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooman View Post
    GW

OK, so we've narrowed it down to the ComboBoxes ("blue" set of controls)

Truth be told, I don't have VB.Net
    But, FWIW, I noticed a similar behavior with VB6
    • If TabStop = True .. get a blue highlight
    • If TabStop = False .. don't

Spoo
    You right, but only when you set its value, once it loses focus by default will become white again.
    Another option to prevent it of ever be highlighted is to set DropDownStyle = DropDownList, instead of its default value DropDown what has another advantage or disavantege depending on whats the goal, by doing this he will prevent the user from inser data to the combo and limit it to the values in the list.

Either you didn't bother thinking it through or you are just intentionally being obtuse.
    No, I thought it through the whole way and you are being unintentionally obtuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Either you don't know how to look, you don't know how to use simple information or your issue is caused by something unrelated.
    Yes JM, I did read the information. Yes JM I set to both true and false and yes JM the information provided almost nothing of use.
    Except the information was of use because you have now confirmed, exactly as I said, that your issue is caused by something else. If you don't think that ruling out a cause is a step in solving a problem then that is part of your problem to begin with.