Thread: [RESOLVED] Ellipse Button on Property Window (again)

Threaded View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Ellipse Button on Property Window (again)

Okay, I sort of dropped out of the other thread discussing this because it used thunks & subclassing, and it was only for the IDE's design-time. So, it was only to make my life "prettier", and had nothing to do with my users. Given all of this, I figured I'd never actually use it because I'd never put my IDE's stability at risk just for my own design/authoring time to be "prettier".

However, Stuck came along and (sort of) showed how to do it without thunks or subclassing. He pointed out the "Use This Page in Property Browser" option that can be assigned on a "per property" basis. This gives us the ellipse button (almost).

In the attached project, I've worked out how to totally eliminate the flash of the Property Page. However, I've yet to figure out how to tell which property clicked the ellipse button in the property page's code. That's my current dilemma.

To see it, download and load the attached project. No need to execute it. We're talking about things in design-mode. Just open Form1, select one of the UCs on Form1, open your Property Window (F4), and then click the ellipse on SomeProp1 (or SomeProp2 or SomeProp3). From the Property Page's code, I can't figure out which one was clicked (nor from the actual UC's code).

I suppose I could find the Property Window's handle and start exploring its children to see which had the focus. However, before I dove into that, I thought I'd throw it out here and see what others had to say.

Personally, this all seems stable enough that I might actually use it for some of my UCs.

Take Care,
    Elroy

EDIT1: Okay, before someone else says it, I know I could create a separate Property Page for each property of each UC (that wanted an ellipse). However, that pushes it over the edge for me. It's just got to be more self-contained than that before I'd actually use it. Ideally, if the Property Page's code can figure out which property was clicked, I'd pass its name back in the callback to the EllipseCallback sub in the UCs.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Elroy; Oct 3rd, 2017 at 04:08 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.