Thread: Unspecified Error

Unspecified Error

When working with Word 2016 document I am facing the following problem. Whenever i want to view Word document i am getting the message: 'Unspecified Error.Location: Part: /word/document.xml'

How to avoid this error message or is there another way to open this document?

Re: Unspecified Error

Is it one particular document? Or all Word Docs? What is the extension? .Doc or .Docx?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hello.
    One particular docx file

Sounds like a corrupt file then. At least it's just the one... if it was all... then you'd be in trouble. But since it's just the one, I'd say that it makes that one file suspect.
    I'd find out from whom ever you got it from if they can send a proper version.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Try to open a new Word document, and drag the .docx files into it. Try to rename the .docx files to .doc and open again. Also you can open your file with the help of LiberOffice or DOCX Viewer Tool
    Regards
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Oct 13th, 2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: removed link

Try to rename the .docx files to .doc and open again.
    That would only work if it was originally a .doc file that had been renamed .docx ... the two file formats are not compatible with each other - that's why the different extensions. .docx files use the OpenDocument format, which is a compressed xml/file/folder structure.... actually that might be an option... rename it .zip and see if you can open it as a zip file and see what's going on with document.xml in the word folder. My guess though is that that file is corrupt somehow or yacked up at least. For which there is very little you can do.

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    That would only work if it was originally a .doc file that had been renamed .docx ... the two file formats are not compatible with each other - that's why the different extensions. .docx files use the OpenDocument format, which is a compressed xml/file/folder structure.... actually that might be an option... rename it .zip and see if you can open it as a zip file and see what's going on with document.xml in the word folder. My guess though is that that file is corrupt somehow or yacked up at least. For which there is very little you can do.

-tg
    there is something you can do. .docx files are actually .zip files but they contain many files. One of them is an xml file. If that file is corrupt you can find the file's plain text in one of the other files. For more information, go here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/3884...pted-docx-file
    Last edited by Lord Orwell; Oct 13th, 2017 at 07:54 PM. Reason: I didn't read all of the quoted post and duplicated some info.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell