Thread: Can't seem to change BorderStyle for TextBox, RichTextBox - bug in VS?

Can't seem to change BorderStyle for TextBox, RichTextBox - bug in VS?

For TextBoxes and RichTextBoxes, the BorderStyle property can be set to None, FixedSingle, or Fixed3D.

However, TextBoxes seem to only display as either None, or FixedSingle. (Fixed3D is displayed as FixedSingle.)

And RichTextBoxes seem to only display as either None, or Fixed3D. (FixedSingle is displayed as Fixed3D.)

So I can't show RichTextBoxes with a FixedSingle border (my preference).

Am I missing something, or is there a bug? If a bug, not a big problem, it's just slightly annoying that I can't have my TextBoxes and RichTextBoxes looking the same. (I could just set RichTextBoxes' BorderStyle = None, and draw a rectangle round them, but that's a bit too much faff.)

Am using VB.NET in VS 2017, on Windows 10.

Re: Can't seem to change BorderStyle for TextBox, RichTextBox - bug in VS?

With regards to the TextBox, that's the OS. Windows 10 has a flat style by default so it's interpretation of a 3D border looks flat. If you run your app on Windows 7 then you'll see a 3D border for the TextBox.

For the RichTextBox, it's actually an old Win32 control wrapped in a .NET class and it doesn't have a flat border representation that I'm aware of.

Hyperactive Member

Re: Can't seem to change BorderStyle for TextBox, RichTextBox - bug in VS?

What actually do you want to use the textbox for? if it is a readonly property then why not make it a label and then change its border style to whatever you want?