Thread: How portable is SQL Server? Want DB on laptop, but want to easily back up or move.

How portable is SQL Server? Want DB on laptop, but want to easily back up or move.

I have this MS Access database on my laptop, and am developing a VB.NET app as a front end. I'm quite happy about the DB being on my C: drive -- it's a single-user system (the user being me), plus I don't have to worry about security or costs or connection difficulties if it's hosted on the Internet.

The nice thing about Access is its database can be a single file, hence easy to back up or move as and when necessary. But I dislike Access, plus I would rather like to use the stored procedures that SQL Server offers.

What's involved in backing up a SQL Server DB to a thumb drive, and then restoring to another machine if my laptop should die?

Re: How portable is SQL Server? Want DB on laptop, but want to easily back up or move

If you have SQL Server Management Studio installed, backing up and restoring is a few clicks. If you don't, it's running a commandline in a console window.

Re: How portable is SQL Server? Want DB on laptop, but want to easily back up or move

Thanks, will investigate.