Thread: Application / project virus detection?

Application / project virus detection?

Hello guys i have a problem with a visual basic project i found in other forum actually problem appear after compiling project because created file cotains virus ? I dont know how to fix it and where problem is in code or what ? Im not visual basic user so have no idea how to cure it ? Do you guys have solution for that ?
    http://www85.zippyshare.com/v/WjIz8lUn/file.html

Re: Application / project virus detection?

I didn't click your link. Did you actually post a link for a file that contains a virus?
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

No thats a project ready to compile and open in visual basic .

Oh intresting I quickly scan it with virustotal and whole project contain a virus somewhere ?
    https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/86...4937/detection
    Last edited by backslay; Sep 23rd, 2017 at 11:03 AM.

If it's a VB project source, then your zip would contain basically text files. Unless you are using a resource file that contains binary data that contains a virus, I don't see how 'text' files will have a virus attached.

If your compiled project is triggering virus detectors, I can think of two possible reasons:
    1) Your pc is infected and the virus infected your compiled exe
    2) Your project contains code that does stuff that a virus detector is looking for: DLL injection, etc.

I and many others on this forum, will not download stuff from external sites. You have the option of uploading your project directly to this forum. Simply zip it up. Click the 'Go Advanced' button available when you create a post/reply. Then on the displayed page, find the 'Manage Attachments' button and upload the zip.

Welcome to the forums

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

I trying upload it directly on forum but all the time failed :/ My Computer cant be infected ive done several virus scans there is something wrong with this project and i dont know what and really need this app creator :d

Maybe others will download your project. In the past, I've had a pc that I thought couldn't be infected because of the scan results. Turns out, it was infected with a virus my detector wasn't coded for. Not saying that is your case.

If you are 100% sure your pc isn't infected, it could be that whatever virus detection is being triggered is a false positive.

Another case where a project can be infected is when the setup.exe is created to distribute your project. If your pc is infected, then the setup.exe may contain infected DLLs, from your system, to be installed. But this won't apply if you are convinced your pc is not infected.

I trying upload it directly on forum but all the time failed
    What's failing? Errors noted? Did you zip it up and try to upload the zip? There are size requirements enforced by the forum, but if that is the case, there is a message (not message box) that is displayed indicating the attachment is too big. Do not include binaries in the zip, i.e., compiled exe, dlls, ocxs, etc.

"Installer.zip: Upload of file failed." that only 5 mb and failed anyway. Ive tried upload it through chrome and firefox :/

Ok i delete all compiled application created by this project and virus detaction decrease to this : https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/7d...cc2b/detection

In this project there is no dll files to inject .

Back

Does the issue (the virus detection) occur with this VB6 app only?
    Do you have other VB6 apps that run without issue?

Spoo

I have no idea i download this project from someone and im only use visual basic to edit this project .

Back

OK.
    If I follow you correctly, this is your one-and-only VB6 app on your computer

One possibility is for you to create another one, very simple, and see if you get same error.
    If that doesn't help, then I'm at a loss .. we'll need to wait for LaVolpe to reappear.

Spoo

Fanatic Member

Here is a copy+pasted reply from a similar thread on this topic:

VirusTotal is a problematic way to assess malware risk. They include way too many scanners, many of which are low-quality, and they fail to educate users on the pros and cons of their "shotgun" approach to detection. False-positives are pretty much guaranteed with any project of reasonable size, regardless of how "safely" it's written.

I had similar false-positive issues with my PhotoDemon project, which is simply a portable .exe (unsigned). I finally wrote an article to explain the problem to end-users - maybe the link will give you some ideas for how to explain the problem to your users.

As the link describes, if you compile a blank VB6 project into an .exe (one form, no custom code), you'll get multiple hits from VirusTotal. Avira and DrWeb in particular seem to hate files with VB6 signatures, and no amount of reporting false-positives helps, because those companies simply whitelist single files instead of fixing their garbage heuristics.

While not always feasible for your users, all you can do is recommend that they replace their low-quality virus scanner with something that actually works.
    tl;dr - VirusTotal is mediocre at best. There will almost always be false-positives on VB projects. While the standard "use at your own risk" warnings apply, I wouldn't be overly concerned unless many scanners detect something.
    Check out PhotoDemon, a pro-grade photo editor written completely in VB6. (Full source available at GitHub.)

You know if i care only for virustotal scores than i wont start this thread but google detect suspicious code on my website when i add this for download than people see a warning message

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by backslay View Post
    You know if i care only for virustotal scores than i wont start this thread but google detect suspicious code on my website when i add this for download than people see a warning message
    Google provides clear steps for dealing with this:

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/45449?hl=en

Have you tried stepping through those? (Similarly, can you just tell us what the application in question is, instead of requiring us to download and install it?)
    Check out PhotoDemon, a pro-grade photo editor written completely in VB6. (Full source available at GitHub.)

Actually there is nothing to install , ill add a "game installers"on my website so basicly its a ordinary game installer which actually didnt install anything just ask for "Activation code" at the end .

Anyone can help me ? Btw im not sure that thread is in correct subforum ?

Really forum dedicated to this software and you guys cant help me with it ?

With what?
    You download a VB6 project somewhere, when you place it on your website(????) then you get a message from google about suspicious code.

What do you thing we can do about that?
    First it's some external project which you downloaded yourself, it's not even your own source code.
    Second how does Google detect suspicious code?
    What dit YOU put on your website? The executable? The source project as a ZIP archive?
    Third, this forum is NOT about dealing with virus warnings in source code projects.

PowerPoster

Also, Tanner_H did provide a link to Google that describes the steps you should take if your site is showing the suspicious site warning - have you tried those (see the Remove the message from your site section)?

Visual Basic project looks clean just when i compile a file apps starts goin crazy and detect some suspicious malware or other kind of viruses and yea on my website i have this executable things in rar ?

If you didn't write the code and you don't understand what it does... then don't use it. It's possible someone has written code that looks fine on the surface, but once compiled, reveals itself to be a virus. No amount of "fixing it" is going to help that... If you know what it is you're after, scrap it and write it yourself.
    If you do understand it, or if you wrote it yourself, then what you may be suffering from is a false positive. This happens when you write certain pieces of code a particular way that leaves a signature that closely resembles a known virus that it triggers an alert. These are hte worst because it could be anything. I had one once because of the way I was accessing a file. There was something about how I wrote the code to build the path and open the file that trigger a flag.

To figure some of this out...

1) when does this happen: a) When you build the exe? Or b) when you create the install?
    2) If it's the install, which installer are you using?
    3) What is it that the app is supposed to do in the first place?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

This video shows everything i hope so and this app contains a suspicious code .

What you mean which installer ?

PowerPoster

An archive in RAR format doesn't prove anything (even Microsoft uses them when warranted). But it is a very strong indicator or a script kiddie, of malware or warez. This was probably because originally few antivirus scanners could look inside them.

I don't download RAR archives ever unless from a trusted source.

Posting some random YouTube video (let alone one that is missing, perhaps because it was taken down) lends zero credibility. It just suggests some 3rd world bad actor is posting.

This entire thing reeks.

You for real ? I record this video how this application works as answer for technognome ... Please stop bullshit answers if you are here to hate ..

Frenzied Member

backslay, a vb6 program is just text
    and text you can put here (prove: i am responding to text you did put here Today, 10:40 PM)

so what is keeping you from placing the text of that vb6 program here ?
    do not put off till tomorrow what you can put off forever

Quote Originally Posted by IkkeEnGij View Post
    so what is keeping you from placing the text of that vb6 program here ?
    5+ MB zipped probably. But point made. It appears from his posts that he has the source code (which may not be his originally). If the source code is open source, no reason not to post it.

In either case, text files (raw VB source files) don't carry viruses AFAIK. Therefore, if there is a virus then his detection app isn't picking it up. Otherwise, it is either a false positive or can contain signatures that are questionable... global hooks, DLL injection/hijacking, possible spyware, etc that may be picked up by AV, anti-spyware or anti-cheat software.

Since we can't look at the source or know the dependencies, I don't know what else anyone can do to assist. I guess the OP can zip (zip nor rar) the entire package to an off-site and hope others will download it and scan it and report back. But not sure how helpful that would be.

Fanatic Member

Looking more closely at the VirusTotal links provided by the OP, I now see that the project in question isn't even VB6. The zip and rar contain .sln and .suo files.

VirusTotal also suggests (via the "Relations" tab) that the files are a small custom-built installer for Dragon Age. (I assume Dragon Age, the Bioware game?)

Seems pretty clear to me that this is an installer for a pirated copy of the game. If (by some miracle) that's not the case, we can at least turn this fiasco over to the VB.Net section of the forum, because it has nothing to do with VB6.

I'll leave it to the mods to decide how to handle this thread beyond here. It's above my paygrade!

Thread moved to VB.NET, and also closed. There are a few things about the thread that concern me. For one thing, as it stands it is pretty useless. Anybody who clicks on strange links is living dangerously. If the project really is just a .NET project (as those sln and suo files suggest), then the code is plain text and can be copied and pasted into the thread. However, a custom installer for a commercial app certainly doesn't smell too good. If you feel I'm wrong about this, feel free to send me a PM.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing