Thread: MS Access Multi User Development

MS Access Multi User Development

What's involved in multi-user development in Access?

How can multiple developers work on the same Access code at the same time?

Thanks

Re: MS Access Multi User Development

with difficulty

are you sure you dont mean development for multi user (used to be max 255 at any one time)?

If you have different back ends and linked, each developer could work on a separate section with one main section linking them all...

Whats your situation?

BOFH Now, BOFH Past, Information on duplicates

Feeling like a fly on the inside of a closed window (Thunk!)
    If I post a lot, it is because I am bored at work! ;D Or stuck...
    * Anything I post can be only my opinion. Advice etc is up to you to persue...

That could be read a couple ways:
    1) the OP meant multi-users, not developers.
    2) multiple users hitting the same database at the same time
    3) multiple developers creating and modifying objects (tables, queries, views, etc) in the database
    4) multiple developers creating not only db objects but also user forms and other things in the database.

that list is a progressively good to bad to worse case.

1 & 2 probably aren't a big deal. 3 starts getting tricky and required developers to (gulp) communicate with each other.
    Number 4 ... yeah, that's just not going to work well. I've never seen it work well. Last time I worked on a system like that, everyone worked on a local copy, then had to do an export-import-merge cycle (it was 15 years ago, so I don't remember the specifics) to get the main db synched up. it. was. a. pain.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Yes, I meant multiple developers working on an Access app together.

Youd need a resource tracker in the database that you can 'check out' items.
    Each developer takes a copy of the item/db does the dev.
    Merging back is > rename current object to a temp name, import the newly updated object - test it works...
    if it works delete the temp object. check in the object on the control list.
    If not delete the imported object and rename the temp object back.

only one way...

I think I recall that visual studio had something like this built in. Possibly the latest versions of Access have this option too.

I do C# in Visual Studio full time. This Access project is a side gig. My client keeps changing code on his desk while I'm working on it at home. It's becoming a real pain to figure out who did what.

ahhh.... hmmmmm

Why whould the client be changing it if they asked you to do actions on it?
    Tell them you cannot work on it if it changes and request that the changes they want go through you ?

Otherwise notepad++ has a comparison plugin, very fast, you can copy and paste the two codes in and compare them for changes... works pretty well. Might be able to export the frm from the form and do the same.. tedious though

Or put some comments in the vba code and request any changes get logged there..? At least you'd be able to track when they've changed something...?

As long as the structures arent changing you should be ok, the logic in the coding and form layout, well... depends....

Good luck

Just curious, do you know if it's possible for me to pull the content of the code file out of Access using C#?

PowerPoster

never tried with access, don't have it, but would work in excel
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete