Thread: [RESOLVED] MSFlexgrid

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] MSFlexgrid

Does anyone know how to make the MSFlexgrid on my VB6 project automagically get a Windows 10 look? The Richtextbox changed to flat scrollbars without prompting. TIA, Bob.

Re: MSFlexgrid

Bob

Not quite sure what "look" you're after.

Could you perhaps post 2 screen-shots ..
    1. what you currently have
    2. what you want

Spoo

PowerPoster

I think he wants theme look on the MSFlexGrid.
    Short answer: It is not possible.

Short reaction: sweet

PowerPoster

People often choose to use the clunkier VB5 LIstView in report view. Since this just wraps the system control for which a themed version exists (in the CC6 assembly) it can be used to stand in for a flexgrid control for an improved appearance.

Each kind of control has advantages and limitations, but at least you can get a proper look with a CC6 ListView with little effort. It depends on what your application needs.

Lively Member

Below is a vertical scrollbar of a richTextBox (VB6/Win10).

Name:  Noname.gif
Views: 2798
Size:  1.7 KB

Below is a vertical scrollbar of a Flexgrid (VB6/Win10)

Name:  Noname.gif
Views: 2774
Size:  2.6 KB

I would like the Flexgrid to look like the RichTextBox. I have read much about manifests, but have yet to find a practical example that works for a Flexgrid. I have experimented with skins (some of which actually work on Flexgrid scrollbars). Unfortunately skins tend to favor the 'retro' look, and I have yet to see a skin that implements the Win10 scrollbar look. I have investigated skin builder tools, unfortunately the documentation for these tools appears to written in hieroglyphics (to me anyway).

PowerPoster

@K4CY, my VBFlexGrid (MSFlexGrid replacement) control have themed scrollbars and other fixes and improvements.

PowerPoster

If you are just worried about the scrollbars, then selecting the Common Control 6 assembly does the trick, at least for the newer and more robust MSHFlexGrid.

Quote Originally Posted by K4CY View Post
    I have read much about manifests, but have yet to find a practical example that works for a Flexgrid.
    Seems strange. Many of these have been posted.

See http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...=1#post5194539 for an example.

PowerPoster

I went back and looked at that project (linked above).

Turns out it doesn't even have a manifest and it still got scrollbars that look right on Windows 10.

Lively Member

dilettante: Thanks for the tip/pointer. The link you posted certainly looks like it'll provide the eye candy I'm looking for. However, when I downloaded the project to investigate mshflexgrid and see just how easy it would be to swap msflexgrid for mshflexgrid in the application, I find I have no mshflxgd OCX on my PC. Microsoft downloads doesn't offer it either. Googling *** mshflxgc ocx wasn't much help either. So, what gives with this illusive little puppy?

Dozens of web sites kindly offered guaranteed fixes for lost/broken mshflxgd OCXs. URLs were similar to those used by the daughters of deposed/executed Nigerian Oil Ministers, who need to wash their millions (I forward the messages to the Clinton Foundation). I'm standing by to be flogged at dawn, and/or keel-hauled as necessary. Thanks, Bob.

PowerPoster

MSHFlexGrid (MSHFLXGD.OCX) was supplied as part of the VB6 package. It is a licensed control, so nobody should be just passing it around, and even if you found the bare OCX it wouldn't work.

Are you certain that the MSFlexGrid doesn't do what you need?

Oops, I guess not. I didn't have any examples so I made a small one and sure enough it gets the old Windows 95 style scrollbars.

If you have VB6 installed you should have the MSHFlexGrid. It wasn't optional as far as I can recall. If you have VB5 then you may be out of luck and you'd have to find or buy some 3rd party control.

PowerPoster

dilettante: Thanks for the tip/pointer. The link you posted certainly looks like it'll provide the eye candy I'm looking for. However, when I downloaded the project to investigate mshflexgrid and see just how easy it would be to swap msflexgrid for mshflexgrid in the application, I find I have no mshflxgd OCX on my PC. Microsoft downloads doesn't offer it either. Googling *** mshflxgc ocx wasn't much help either. So, what gives with this illusive little puppy?

Dozens of web sites kindly offered guaranteed fixes for lost/broken mshflxgd OCXs. URLs were similar to those used by the daughters of deposed/executed Nigerian Oil Ministers, who need to wash their millions (I forward the messages to the Clinton Foundation). I'm standing by to be flogged at dawn, and/or keel-hauled as necessary. Thanks, Bob.
    If you don't have the Ocx installed how could you run the dilettante's example project and see that it looks like what you want?

PowerPoster

I think he saw the posted screenshot.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I think he saw the posted screenshot.
    Ah, OK.

May be he is using VB5

Lively Member

As I said, I can't run the example project. But, the link dilettante provided had a picture (and it's worth 1000 words). This PC didn't have a file C:\windows\syswow64\mshflxgd.OCX. So, I copied the file from another PC, and registered it (without error). The project still does not run.

Thanks, Bob.

Lively Member

Eduardo, no VB6. See my pictures with the text VB6/Win 10

PowerPoster

Just copying the OCX isn't enough, it needs a design-time license.

Try making a new empty Project and add an MSHFlexGrid yourself after adding the OCX to the Project. If you are missing the design-time license you should know right away.

If it works then get suspicious about what might have deleted the OCX on you.

Lively Member

... and as a cerebral exercise, I made a new project. Blank form. C\Windows\Syswow64\mshflxgd.ocx registered (without error). The IDE Components shows this

Name:  Noname.jpg
Views: 3379
Size:  46.0 KB

But I can't put an mshflexgrid on the form. I have Googled this for an hour. Recommendations from Sandeep, Ashok, and Mandoup (nice pictures by the way) didn't crack the code ...

PowerPoster

But I can't put an mshflexgrid on the form.
    What happens when you try? Is there an error message and number?

Lively Member

Name:  Noname.jpg
Views: 2858
Size:  14.7 KB

PowerPoster

Well that only leaves three possibilities:

1. You have some stripped down edition such as the Learning Edition that came along with a few books and intro classes Microsoft approved. Those probably left out a lot of the OCXs.

2. You have misinstalled VB6.

3. You have some pirated VB6 such as the "Portable Edition" warez that have been floating around.

Case (2.) seems pretty common, though I don't remember this particular symptom being reported very much. Usually if one OCX is messed up the others are too.

Lively Member

Resolved Re: MSFlexgrid

Good thought, but none of the above. Out of the box Enterprise Edition. I just checked on another PC, and everything is as expected. I'll re-install VB6 tomorrow.

Now for the hardest part ... I can never remember where they hid the 'solved' button? Thanks for the help. Now for the compatibility testing.

PowerPoster

Sounds weird. Maybe the second stage of the install was not elevated? But then all of the OCXs ought to have problems so that doesn't seem right either.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Sounds weird. Maybe the second stage of the install was not elevated? But then all of the OCXs ought to have problems so that doesn't seem right either.
    Perhaps some program installed a different version of the ocx over the original and something got messed up, I don't know.
    But it seems unlikely.

Lively Member

Resolved Re: MSFlexgrid

A reinstall of VB6 solved that problem. MSHFlexgrid installed, and as advertised, the scrollbars show as standard Win 10 flat scrollbars. Now for the acid test. Change the application properties/compatibility setting to Reduced color mode (256 color). Voila! Clunky Mount Rushmore 3D (to the extreme) scrollbars on the MSHFlexgrid.

Question answered. Problem solved. Now where is that pesky option to close this thread?

Now where is that pesky option to close this thread?
    Look above your 1st post >> Thread Tools >> Mark as Resolved

Lively Member

Merci beacoup ...