Thread: [RESOLVED] Form can't maximize completely when displayed on extrenal monitor with higher res.

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Form can't maximize completely when displayed on extrenal monitor with higher res.

Hi all,

I have a customer who has a laptop, and an external monitor (as a secondary monitor) that has a higher resolution than his laptop monitor. When he drags my application on his external monitor, the form does not maximise to the new screen dimensions, but rather keeps he previous laptop screen dimensions, thus making it look like the form is not maximised. He was able to reduce the window size, and change the width and height by click-and-dragging the form borders, but the form size lockes when it reaches the laptop screen size.

Does anybody have an idea of what's going on? (I have no experience with secondary monitors whatsoever, so I might be the source of he problem...)

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Alain; Sep 18th, 2017 at 09:46 PM.
    Don't ask why, just reboot!

Re: Form can't maximize completely when displayed on extrenal monitor with higher res

This may be beyond your control. It's likely not the resolution but rather the DPI that is the issue. Windows Forms was created long before high-DPI monitors came along and hasn't been updated with specific support, so there can often be issues when moving forms between monitors. My boss has a recent laptop with a high-DPI screen connected to two external monitors with a lower DPI and he often has such issues. I think he has to make sure that a form opens on a particular screen to be sure that it will behave. He's buying new monitors to avoid such issues.

Fanatic Member

Re: Form can't maximize completely when displayed on extrenal monitor with higher res

Thanks for the answer jm.

But then wouldn't my customer have the same problem with other applications? He says only mine behaves this way.

I think he has to make sure that a form opens on a particular screen to be sure that it will behave.
    That's a good indication as to where to look for a solution. I read somewhere that if a form as a StartUpPosition property set to CenterScreen, it creates some problems with dual monitors. I had forgot about it. I'll read on and report back...

Thanks again!

Fanatic Member

Woah! Never mind...

Looking in my code where I set the 'Startupposition' property, I noticed old code lines that set (for reasons I don't even remember myself!) a form.Maximumsize to the size of the current screen...

So, in other words: my bad!

Thanks for helping, nonetheless!