Help with ActiveBar issue in VB 6 - no appropriate license for dev env-VBForums

Thread: Help with ActiveBar issue in VB 6 - no appropriate license for dev env

Help with ActiveBar issue in VB 6 - no appropriate license for dev env

Hi all! When I go to "Make" my VB 6 project, it gets about half way through and then an error pops up: "ActiveBar license information for this component not found. You do not have an appropriate license to use this functionality in the design environment."

I purchase this VB component many years ago called ActiveBar version 1.0 rev1065 that I've used with VB 6 all these years just fine. Recently, however, my VB 6 build machine hard drive crashed and so I had to install VB 6 on my Windows 10 machine and use that going forward. I have VB 6 installed and working fine on Windows 10. But when I go to make the project I get the above error. If I hit F5 to run the project within VB, I don't get the error. So as things stand now I can't build my exe.

I actually recall having this error once before on the original machine, well over a decade ago, and recall the tech support from the company I bought it from guided me on how to resolve it. This product is no longer made and the company is no longer around, so I am desperately trying to get this working.

To install on the Windows 10 machine I ran the original ActiveBar installer which prompted me for the serial number and registration info, which I fortunately have. That worked and the install went fine. I then ran the build 1065 "service pack" (as they called it) to update its version.

Can someone please let me know what steps I can take to resolve it or more troubleshooting steps I can take to collect more information that can help solve this? I would be so very grateful!! Thank you.

Hyperactive Member

Re: Help with ActiveBar issue in VB 6 - no appropriate license for dev env

Can you reproduce this compile error in a new project with a single form and a single ActiveBar control?

Did you try to reinstall the control from setup?

cheers,
    </wqw>

DataDynamics, the manufacturer of ActiveBar, has been absorbed by GrapeCity.
    https://www.grapecity.com/en/

I honestly doubt that ActiveBar version 1.0 works under Windows 10, since I think it's really too old.
    Version 3 works fine (I use on Windows 10 latest build), so I suggest that you request an upgrade.

Hyperactive Member

@gibra: ActiveBar version 1.0 works as expected on win10. It seems its bugs are OS version independent :-))

We are using the control reg-free in some projects of ours too.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Thanks guys! I did a little more digging and actually it turns out it was not the ActiveBar control after all. Rather it was an old control that I didn't need any more. I deleted it and it compiles fine now. Yes like wqweto said ActiveBar 1.0 seems to run just fine under Windows 10 - at least the runtime part. Haven't tried the design part as I don't need to touch that.