Thread: Format Function in date array

Format Function in date array

I have a simple date array where I intend to store 3 dates in a certain date-time format but I met some difficulties using the native Format function in conjunction with that date array. I am able to get month on the first position formatting current day but once I try to assign the result to myData array this result is somehow converted back to dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss (that is the default date-time format of my OS via regional settings) . So, how could I preserve the new date-time format in myData array ?
    Code:
    Dim myData(1 To 3) As Date
    myData(1) = Format(Now, "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss")
    "VB code is practically pseudocode" - Tanner Helland
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - Matt Groening
    "If you wait until you are ready, it is almost certainly too late" - Seth Godin
    "Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see" - Edgar Allan Poe

Re: Format Function in date array

Hi Daniel,

Any variable declared as "Date" (array or not) knows nothing about any formatting. It's just a special case of an IEEE Double. It's only when you print (or otherwise show) the date that formatting comes into play.

If you wish to preserve formatting, possibly save your dates in a String array rather than a Date array. I'm not personally crazy about that idea, but maybe it'll meet your needs.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Format is for strings
    You would use Format to display the contents of your date variables not to assign a value to them

Hi,

try it like this
    Code:
    Dim myData(1 To 3) As Date
    myData(1) = Format(Now, "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy hh:mm:ss#")
    regards
    Chris
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

@Chris: So long as myData() is declared as a Date, nothing is going to go into it that "remembers" any formatting.

@DataMiser: Yes, I like the way you said that.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    @Chris: So long as myData() is declared as a Date, nothing is going to go into it that "remembers" any formatting.

@DataMiser: Yes, I like the way you said that.
    Hi Elroy,
    your right didn't see that.

this should work
    Code:
    Public Enum cDateType
       asDate = 1
       asTime = 2
       asDateTime = 3
    End Enum

Public Function strDate(varDate As Variant, DateTyp As cDateType) As String

Dim s As String
       Dim d As Date

If TypeName(varDate) = "String" Then
             varDate = Trim(varDate)
             If Len(varDate) = 0 Then
                strDate = "NULL"
                Exit Function
             End If
          End If

d = CDate(varDate)

If d = 0 Then
             s = "NULL"
          Else
             Select Case DateTyp
                Case 1: s = Format(d, "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy#")
                Case 2: s = Format(d, "\#hh:mm:ss#")
                Case 3: s = Format(d, "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy hh:mm:ss#")
             Case Else: Exit Function
             End Select
          End If

strDate = s
    End Function

regards
    Chris
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Dan

Given the foregoing good posts, it seems that now we are dealing only with the display of your info.
    Perhaps you could post a screenshot of what you have.

Spoo

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Any variable declared as "Date" (array or not) knows nothing about any formatting.
    Very well pointed out. Unfortunately, this is the truth... I know that Format is for strings but honestly I would have expected that a date variable to preserve the format returned by function. My requirement is related to the need to compare 2 dates that have a different format, one is starting with month and other with day. For this this reason both dates should be converted in the same format but in this case, considering the result of Format function, what we do compare: strings or dates ? In my opinion a date variable had to be more versatile with its content without having to call other functions or making tricks in strings for this purpose. Indeed, saving the dates as string make possible the comparison (greater vs. lower) but are strings able to evaluate their content as date ? Thank you.
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - Matt Groening

PowerPoster

If you have dates that are strings and in different formats then you may be able to use CDate(Format$()) to place the string in the correct format and then convert it to a date.

I have not tried this myself so can't be sure it that would work in all cases.

The actual format of the date is based on the system regional settings.

If both are dates and both have been types as DATES, then the format is irrelevant. Again, the format of a date is for display. It doesn't change the underlying value (which is a decimal value by the way) ... so if both date value have been properly cast into Date values, you should be able to compare them safely w/o worrying about dmy or mdy ...

That said... you have to be careful about the source of the dates... where did they come from and in what form (ie, did they come in as strings initially in their different formats? or did they actually come in as dates, simply masquerading as strings? did that make senses? it did in my head at first).

-=tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Again, the format of a date is for display. It doesn't change the underlying value (which is a decimal value by the way)
    Hey Techgnome,

Just wondering what you mean by the bolded part of what I've quoted. A Date is truly just a special case of a Double where 0 = #12/30/1899 00:00:00#
    The integer part is a count of days, and the fractional part is the portion of a day that has lapsed.
    It's not terribly efficient, but it gets it done.

Here's a test...

Code:

Option Explicit
    Private Declare Sub CopyMemory Lib "kernel32.dll" Alias "RtlMoveMemory" (ByRef Dest As Any, ByRef Source As Any, ByVal Bytes As Long)

Private Sub Form_Load()
        Dim dt As Date
        Dim d As Double
        dt = 1.1234

MsgBox dt   ' <--- reports: 12/31/1899 2:57:42 AM, which is correct.

CopyMemory d, dt, 8

MsgBox d    ' <--- reports: 1.1234

Unload Me
    End Sub

If a Date wasn't really a Double, there's no way that the second MsgBox would report correctly.

Best Regards,
    Elroy

Sorry, double, not decimal.... but yeah, that's what I meant... the internal storage of a date uses a double storage bucket. All too often people get hug up on what it looks like rather than focusing on the value itself.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Using CDate on strings could fail if the format does not match your regional settings.

If you pass July 1st using mm/dd when your system settings is dd/mm, you should get a date of Jan 7th, not July 1st. Likewise, if you pass July 15th using mm/dd then an error should occur but doesn't. VB knows there aren't 15 months in a year, so it assumes you got the dd & mm reversed and auto-guesses.

If you want to use a different format from the system settings, you may want to use the DateSerial() function?
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Strings versus dates, storage as double and conversions considering the format from system settings...I am a bit more confused than I was before. The idea is I have to find the minimum date/time in a day. I have a variant array (2 dimensional) that comes via ADO with many values from a database. On a certain element of this array are stored these date values I am interested in and they keep the format from database (date/time as mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss). Mainly I have to loop this array searching for minimum date/time value but for this purpose I need to initialize a variable as result and this variable cannot be zero but something comparable with date/time format from above. I considered that formatting the current day via Now function will solve this initialization issue but as long as Format is designed for strings ... Considering that my system settings are dd/mm/yyy, the question is what is properly to compare: strings, dates or double values ?
    Code:
    Dim dbArray() as Variant
    Dim i as Long, minDate as Date

'dbArray is loaded in ADO via getRows method and dates are stored on 8th element of first dimension
    'example of dates: 09/13/2017 12:58:21 AM , 09/13/2017 2:08:30 PM , 09/13/2017 8:17:17 PM 

minDate = Format(Now, "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss") 

For i=0 to UBound(dbArray,2)
        If dbArray(7,i) < minDate Then minDate=dbArray(7,i)
    Next i
    Last edited by Daniel Duta; Sep 14th, 2017 at 02:23 AM.

Frenzied Member

no reason to be confused:some examples
    Code:
    Private Sub Command1_Click()
        Dim TheArray(1 To 12) As Variant
        TheArray(1) = 1234.25
        TheArray(2) = Date
        TheArray(3) = Now
        TheArray(4) = #7/3/1964#
        TheArray(5) = "Your grandma told my grandma"
        TheArray(6) = TheArray(2) + TheArray(4)
        TheArray(7) = TheArray(2) + 7
        TheArray(8) = DateAdd("ww", 1, TheArray(7))
        TheArray(9) = CDbl(Now)
        TheArray(10) = CDbl(TheArray(4))
        TheArray(11) = CDate("2016-09-23")
        TheArray(12) = CStr(TheArray(11))
        For i = 1 To 12
            Print i, TheArray(i)
        Next
    End Sub
    so your
    simply becomes
    minDate = now()
    and now mindate will be a date and not a string
    so you can compare dates with dates (and pears with pears)
    (wanted te say apples with apples, but i think that advertising is considered a 'bad' thing)
    do not put off till tomorrow what you can put off forever

Frenzied Member

or:
    dim V as variant
    V=#2017-09-14 22:10:15#
    ? V
    and vb will automagicaly change V in your systems format

Ikke

Tutti-fruity to you, mate ..
    I think you've got it.

BTW, that was for post #15

Spoo
    Last edited by Spooman; Sep 14th, 2017 at 04:31 AM.

PowerPoster

Date values do not contain any values for year, month, hour, minute, or second. There is only a day value. This value is defined as a time with no date for values less than 1, otherwise the number of days since December 30 1899 which can be fractional (part of a day):

Code:
        Debug.Print CDate(0.5)
        Debug.Print CDate(0.75)
        Debug.Print CDate(1#)
        Debug.Print CDate(1.5)
    Code:
    12:00:00 PM 
    6:00:00 PM 
    12/31/1899 
    12/31/1899 12:00:00 PM
    So stop getting hung up on textual representations of dates, and don't assign String values to Date variables willy-nilly.

Come on folks, 2017 is very late in the day to be stumbling over a concept this ancient.
    Last edited by dilettante; Sep 14th, 2017 at 05:02 AM.

I agree with dilettante, but the hours, minutes and seconds are easily calculated from the date value.
    The number of seconds passed since midnight is stored as: seconds/86400

If often do direct calculations on the date value:
    Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()
      Dim dtData As Date
      Dim dData As Double
      Dim dTime As Double, dSeconds As Double
      Dim lDate As Long, lHours As Long, lMinutes As Long, lSeconds As Long

dtData = Now
      dData = dtData

Debug.Print dtData
      Debug.Print "Double value:", dData
      lDate = Int(dData)
      dTime = dData - lDate
      Debug.Print "Date value:", lDate
      Debug.Print "Time value:", dTime
      dSeconds = dTime * 86400
      Debug.Print "Total seconds:", dSeconds

lHours = dSeconds \ 3600
      lMinutes = (dSeconds - lHours * 3600) \ 60
      lSeconds = dSeconds - lHours * 3600 - lMinutes * 60

Debug.Print "HH:MM:SS", Format(lHours, "00") & ":" & Format(lMinutes, "00") & ":" & Format(lSeconds, "00")
    End Sub

Frenzied Member

Hihi, proofpositive that december 30 1899 never existed

Code:
        Dim D As Date
        For D = #12/28/1899# To #1/1/1900# Step 0.125
            Print D
        Next
    End Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Duta View Post
    Strings versus dates, storage as double and conversions considering the format from system settings...I am a bit more confused than I was before. The idea is I have to find the minimum date/time in a day. I have a variant array (2 dimensional) that comes via ADO with many values from a database. On a certain element of this array are stored these date values I am interested in and they keep the format from database (date/time as mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss). Mainly I have to loop this array searching for minimum date/time value but for this purpose I need to initialize a variable as result and this variable cannot be zero but something comparable with date/time format from above. I considered that formatting the current day via Now function will solve this initialization issue but as long as Format is designed for strings ... Considering that my system settings are dd/mm/yyy, the question is what is properly to compare: strings, dates or double values ?
    Code:
    Dim dbArray() as Variant
    Dim i as Long, minDate as Date

'dbArray is loaded in ADO via getRows method and dates are stored on 8th element of first dimension
    'example of dates: 09/13/2017 12:58:21 AM , 09/13/2017 2:08:30 PM , 09/13/2017 8:17:17 PM 

For i=0 to UBound(dbArray,2)
        If dbArray(7,i) < minDate Then minDate=dbArray(7,i)
    Next i
    Wait... hold on.,.. so the dates come from a database? That means you have them in a recordset, right? A couple of stupid questions: 1) couldn't you ask for the Min(datefield) from the database? or 2) sort the recordset by the date field and get the date from the first (or last, depending on how you sort) record?
    Meanwhile, if all you want is the min date from an array, as long as the values in the array are dates, that should be simple:

(shooting from the hip here)
    Code:
    Private Function GetMinDate(Dates() as Date) as Date
      Dim currDate as Date
      Dim a as Integer
      currDate - Dates(0) ' Start with the first date
      For a = 1 to UBOUND(Dates)
        If Dates(a) < currDate Then 'If the next date is less than the current date
          currDate = Dates(a) 'Store the current date
      next
      GetMinDate = currDate ' return the stored current (min) date

End Funciton
    -tg

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Duta View Post
    The idea is I have to find the minimum date/time in a day.
    Now that's a bit of a fun problem, and I'll accept that as a challenge. Also, I'm going to do it without using any of the built-in date functions, as they'd just make it more complex.

Building on what I said above about a Date just being a special case of a Double, we can do the following:

Code:

Option Explicit

Public Function MinTimeForDay(ByVal TheFocusDay As Date, TheDateArray() As Date) As Date
        ' Be sure TheDateArray() is dimensioned, or this will crash.
        ' Returns midnight for TheFocusDay (actually the day prior) if nothing is found.
        '
        Dim i As Long
        '
        TheFocusDay = Int(TheFocusDay)                          ' Strip portion of a day from our focus day.
        MinTimeForDay = 999999#                                 ' Set a very large min to start.
        '
        For i = LBound(TheDateArray) To UBound(TheDateArray)
            If Int(TheDateArray(i)) = TheFocusDay Then          ' It's the same day, so check it.
                If TheDateArray(i) < MinTimeForDay Then MinTimeForDay = TheDateArray(i)
            End If
        Next i
        If MinTimeForDay = 999999# Then MinTimeForDay = TheFocusDay
    End Function

Private Sub Form_Load()

' Just a test to see if it works.

Dim dtArray(1 To 5) As Date

dtArray(1) = #5/5/2017 12:04:02 AM#
        dtArray(2) = #5/6/2017 12:01:02 AM#
        dtArray(3) = #5/5/2017 12:23:02 AM#
        dtArray(4) = #5/5/2017 12:01:02 AM#
        dtArray(5) = #5/5/2017 12:01:24 AM#

Dim dtAnswer As Date

dtAnswer = MinTimeForDay(#5/5/2017#, dtArray())

MsgBox Format$(dtAnswer, "mm/dd/yy hh:nn:ss AM/PM")

Unload Me
    End Sub

So, see? If you state what you're after, you'll often get it.

However, after looking at that code, I'm still not sure that's what you're really after. But hey ho. That's what you said you were after.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Last edited by Elroy; Sep 14th, 2017 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IkkeEnGij View Post
    Hihi, proofpositive that december 30 1899 never existed

Code:
        Dim D As Date
            Print D
        Next
    End Sub
    Hi IkkeEnGij,

I'm not sure what you're trying to say there, but maybe try the following code:

Code:

Dim D As Date
            Debug.Print Format$(D, "mm/dd/yyyy hh:nn:ss AM/PM")
        Next

Best Regards,
    Elroy

EDIT1: The results:

Code:
    12/28/1899 12:00:00 AM
    12/29/1899 09:00:00 PM
    12/29/1899 06:00:00 PM
    12/29/1899 03:00:00 PM
    12/29/1899 12:00:00 PM
    12/29/1899 09:00:00 AM
    12/29/1899 06:00:00 AM
    12/29/1899 03:00:00 AM
    12/29/1899 12:00:00 AM
    12/30/1899 09:00:00 PM
    12/30/1899 06:00:00 PM
    12/30/1899 03:00:00 PM
    12/30/1899 12:00:00 PM
    12/30/1899 09:00:00 AM
    12/30/1899 06:00:00 AM
    12/30/1899 03:00:00 AM
    12/30/1899 12:00:00 AM
    12/30/1899 03:00:00 AM
    12/30/1899 06:00:00 AM
    12/30/1899 09:00:00 AM
    12/30/1899 12:00:00 PM
    12/30/1899 03:00:00 PM
    12/30/1899 06:00:00 PM
    12/30/1899 09:00:00 PM
    12/31/1899 12:00:00 AM
    12/31/1899 03:00:00 AM
    12/31/1899 06:00:00 AM
    12/31/1899 09:00:00 AM
    12/31/1899 12:00:00 PM
    12/31/1899 03:00:00 PM
    12/31/1899 06:00:00 PM
    12/31/1899 09:00:00 PM
    01/01/1900 12:00:00 AM

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    This value is defined as a time with no date for values less than 1
    Hi Dilettante,

Actually, you can go less than one. It just starts counting the days backwards from 12/30/1899.

Take Care,
    Elroy

Code:

debug.Print format$(-5, "mm/dd/yyyy") ' <--- prints: 12/25/1899

Frenzied Member

proof that the date "december 30 1899" never existed keeps piling up
    or is the above statement a contradiction in terms ?

Code:
      Dim D as Date
      D=#12-30-1899#
      ? D
      D=#1899-12-30#
      ? D 
    End Sub

Private Sub Command2_Click()
        Dim D As Date
        For D = #12/28/1899# To #1/1/1900#
            Print D,CDbl(D)
        Next
    End Sub
    just copy and paste

of cource the string "december 30 1899" clearly exists
    proof: i have just written it down twice

so for everyone who ever wondered if there ever was a year 0 (zero)
    proof positive that there ever was a day 0 (zero)
    so if the year 1899 did have a day 0 (zero)
    maybe the year 0 (zero) did have 365 days 0 (zero) ?