Thread: Start company and create programs

Question Start company and create programs

Hello everyone,

I'm a programmer at my company and mainly code in VB. I want to start my own side business and create a program on the cloud that people could register for and use. What would I need to learn to accomplish this. Someone told me I should learn ASP.NET. Is this the best course of action or would is something else better?

Re: Start company and create programs

what you would need to learn would be dependent on the more specific details of what you are trying to accomplish with your program. You only indicated that you want to use the cloud and to have people register. Why are those important criteria? What is your actual business model and/or product that you are creating? If you are trying to capture names/leads to sell, that would be different from trying to get people to download and run an application that has advertising to drive revenue.

In short - you haven't really provided enough information on what you want to actually accomplish, so a coherent answer can't be provided.

As a side note....
    If you are a programmer working for a company, then you might want to check your employment agreement before doing too much on the side to determine if you are allowed to do such work and/or if such work would be owned by the company you work for....

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply Brad! I know my company would not own anything I code on the side.

Where this question is coming from has 2 parts.
    1. My brother owns his own mechanic shop and I would like to make him an invoicing program. I want to put it and his databases on all the cloud. For the databases I think something like AWS would work but if I wanted to create him a program that I could update from home, what would work best? At my company my programs are in VB.NET and on a server that every user has access to. When I update the code and deploy it, it basically warns everyone and kicks them out so they can the latest update of my code.

2. I have an idea for another program that I would possibly want to sell. I was thinking it would be along the same lines as QuickBooks which I hear is just on the cloud and you pay a yearly fee and have an account that you can use from anywhere. I would probably do something along the same lines.

I'm obviously extremely new to this so I'm just need help getting pointed in the right direction.
    Is this sufficient details to help me or do you need more info?

Quote Originally Posted by Huisman7 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Brad! I know my company would not own anything I code on the side.

Where this question is coming from has 2 parts.
    1. My brother owns his own mechanic shop and I would like to make him an invoicing program. I want to put it and his databases on all the cloud. For the databases I think something like AWS would work but if I wanted to create him a program that I could update from home, what would work best? At my company my programs are in VB.NET and on a server that every user has access to. When I update the code and deploy it, it basically warns everyone and kicks them out so they can the latest update of my code.

2. I have an idea for another program that I would possibly want to sell. I was thinking it would be along the same lines as QuickBooks which I hear is just on the cloud and you pay a yearly fee and have an account that you can use from anywhere. I would probably do something along the same lines.

I'm obviously extremely new to this so I'm just need help getting pointed in the right direction.
    Is this sufficient details to help me or do you need more info?
    If you are already proficient in a .Net language then there is no reason to not develop for the cloud in the same language, AWS would certainly work but if you are looking at using a Microsoft dev stack then Azure has an awful lot going for it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    If you are already proficient in a .Net language then there is no reason to not develop for the cloud in the same language, AWS would certainly work but if you are looking at using a Microsoft dev stack then Azure has an awful lot going for it as well.
    Okay perfect. I've never developed anything for the cloud so I'll have to do some research. If anyone has any links to get me started, that would be greatly appreciated.

So would learning ASP.NET only benefit me in making my application web based?

PowerPoster

Everyone knows that Step 1 is "Steal underpants."

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Everyone knows that Step 1 is "Steal underpants."
    Yes but what about Phase 2??????

But seriously I have a great idea and I know how to code it if I was making it for the company I work for but I want to make it available to the masses. I would like people who want to use my software to go to a web page and register if they want to use it. Exactly the way Quickbooks (https://quickbooks.intuit.ca/) is. I just don't know where to start (other than stealing some underpants) on making this possible. I'm totally fine with going to night school to learn but I don't even know what I need to learn.