Thread: ASP.Net VB - framework

ASP.Net VB - framework

Hi,

My current work role is using a framework to build user forms with logic using tomcat and java (jsp pages). The designer of the framework suggested that I create my own framework to see exactly how annoying/difficult it is to build one.

OK, so remembering that an old work place i used to work at used asp.net and c#/vb for an internal intranet I thought it might be good to learn how to do that. Plus if I made anything good, they may be interested... who knows.

However, being somewhat slow, unmotivated its taken several months to flatten a laptop, install iis, asp asp.net, etc. visual studio 2017 (promptly crashed) uninstall it install vs 2015 (errors occasionally).

I hunt around for asp.net vb, not too many tutorials and, of course it is not just install and run. it is install, configure, run reconfigure run... normal i guess.

Anyway, my question after the ramblings... If I just want to shove out asp.net pages but not use vs (ie create my own framework) is it going to be a lot of trouble to use this server? Would it be better to shift to asp classic or move to xampp and php?? I didnt want to use tomcat and java as it might seem I`m copying what they are already using... I thought a different platform would open more learning knowledge and not conflict with the day to day stuff...

From what Im seeing in the tutorials its all web forms code behind, but I cannot see how that might relate if I was making a html front end framework, making a page and shelling it out.

I just want to know whether it is worth continuing.

(I know/knew vba via access so thought it may be closer to it...)

BOFH Now, BOFH Past, Information on duplicates

Feeling like a fly on the inside of a closed window (Thunk!)
    If I post a lot, it is because I am bored at work! ;D Or stuck...
    * Anything I post can be only my opinion. Advice etc is up to you to persue...

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Re: ASP.Net VB - framework

How does your current Framework work? is it its own application?

Is it essentially an application that allows you to do various configuration create a form or page, that in the end outputs HTML & JavaScript to create submitable html forms? or does it do more than that?

It sounds like its some sort of designer like that, and i would say that if it is then it will take a fair amount of effort to reproduce.

Its perfectly doable, in fact i have recently been doing a project at work that creates HTML landing Pages inside one of our apps, but so far i have spent 3 months on it and i am about half way through the project. I am doing a full drag and drop designer and code editor so it would take a lot less if you dont need on of those, but even so its not a small project.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

yeah similar to that . including drag n drop - although i think that would be more js with the end result thrown to a huge var char or text field.

The main bit is that all the examples so far are using the web form controls. I guess i need to understand how the http request is formed and sent, received and returned and put something in there that forms a response or html or whatever.

Its just... how?

I saw one person had an example using a class, yet in vs2015 i can only add html, js, css, web form... may be i missed something on installation - there were a lot of parts....

so far its request.write("something")... Is that all there is? or do I need a class or two to deal with things?

BOFH Now, BOFH Past, Information on duplicates

Feeling like a fly on the inside of a closed window (Thunk!)
    If I post a lot, it is because I am bored at work! ;D Or stuck...
    * Anything I post can be only my opinion. Advice etc is up to you to persue...

A simple example might be, if you put a Div on a page and set it to run at server like this -

Code:
    <div id="MainDiv" runat="server">

</div>
    You can now access that Div (due to the runat server tag) in the code behind and add to it.

So in the code behind -

HtmlGenericControl LineDiv = new HtmlGenericControl("Div");
    HtmlInputText Textbox = new HtmlInputText();
    Label label = new Label();

LineDiv.Controls.Add(label);
    LineDiv.Controls.Add(Textbox);
    MainDiv.Controls.Add(LineDiv);
    Very simply the above code will add a label and textbox to a div, and then add that div to your div on your main page.

You will obviously need to do things like add text to the label -

Code:
    label.Text = "SomeText";
    you will probably want to add a css class to some of the elements so you can control how they look and there position

Code:
    Textbox.Attributes.Add("class", "textbox");
    If you add the code behind to a function and call it from you page load, as the page loads it will build your web page

There is lot more you can do but is that the kind of thing your looking for?

If so i can also post on how to add JavaScript functions to your page dynamically and events!
    Last edited by NeedSomeAnswers; Sep 11th, 2017 at 07:21 AM.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

nb - you will need the following using statements at the top of you page -

Code:
    using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;
    using System.Web.UI.WebControls;