Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] How to setup a UserControl Property to Browse for a file

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] How to setup a UserControl Property to Browse for a file

Setting a UserControl's property to a PictureBox instructs the IDE to displays an ellipse button that when clicked will open the CommonDialog so that the user can select a file.

Is there a way to get this same functionality, an ellipse button & CommonDialog, for a 'string' property so that the UserControl can get and store a file name?

I know that I can accomplish this by using a PropertyPage but that seems like a lot for just a file name.

Thanks.

Re: How to setup a UserControl Property to Browse for a file

There is, but it requires some nasty subclassing/hacks to get the ellipse button. A common approach is to offer a property page which you are aware of. The property page can still offer other property settings so it doesn't look like its only purpose is a browse button ;(

Here's a codebank submission that does what you are after, but it's a lot of effort for an ellipse button.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Yeah, I was looking into it too.

Even creating a string property that internally called some OpenFile dialog gets tricky. The Let property doesn't get called until you click off of the property on the Properties Window. So that's not really a good solution either.

You really need a generic version of that ellipse button that LaVolpe mentioned to do it correctly.

I'm also going to take a look at LaVolpe's link because I'm interested too.

Good Luck,
    Elroy

EDIT1: @LaVolpe: Whewww, that is nasty. I'm quite impressed that you got that sorted, thunk and all. For me personally, I think I'll chalk the "Generic Ellipse on Properties Window" as impossible (or very nearly so).
    Last edited by Elroy; Sep 2nd, 2017 at 04:39 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

LaVolpe

If it isn't too much of a pain, could you post an image of an ellipse button?
    TIA

Spoo

Quote Originally Posted by Spooman View Post
    If it isn't too much of a pain, could you post an image of an ellipse button?
    TIA
    A button, no caption, with three dots: ...
    The link I provided in previous posts shows it also. But it's not the button per se, its what it does or better yet, what you want it to do.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

I think everyone means "ellipsis" button (not "elipse")

Quote Originally Posted by jpbro View Post
    I think everyone means "ellipsis" button (not "elipse")
    Yep. But for me, I can blame it on "old-fart syndrome"
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Sep 2nd, 2017 at 05:17 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Yep. But for me, I can blame on "old-fart syndrome"
    Haha! Wasn't criticizing, just clarifying for Spooman in case it was the source of confusion re: an "ellipse" box

JP

Nice one, bro.

Spoo

Quote Originally Posted by jpbro View Post
    Haha! Wasn't criticizing, just clarifying for Spooman in case it was the source of confusion re: an "ellipse" box
    Oh, I know. After all, an ellipse button would be a round or oval button, no? Oh well, could've been even further off if I called it an eclipse button

After all, an ellipse button would be a round or oval button, no?
    D'oh .. why didn't you say so?

Name:  roundbutton.png
Views: 1183
Size:  48.4 KB

Very nice ellipse ellipsis button Spoo

LOL.
    Thanks LaVolpe.
    I owe that entirely to JP.

PowerPoster

In my RichTextBox I have a property called "FileName" which is used to browse for a file via OpenDialog at design-time.

Name:  PropertyBrowserEllipsis.png
Views: 869
Size:  36.5 KB

As you see it shows up the ellipsis button.

Of course in the PropertyPage you need to include something like this:

Code:
    Private Sub PropertyPage_EditProperty(PropertyName As String)
    If PropertyName = "FileName" Then Call CommandFileName_Click
    End Sub

Private Sub CommandFileName_Click()
    With New CommonDialog
    .Flags = CdlOFNExplorer Or CdlOFNPathMustExist Or CdlOFNFileMustExist
    .Filter = "Rich Text Files (*.RTF)|*.RTF|Text Files (*.TXT)|*.TXT"
    .DialogTitle = "Select File"
    If .ShowOpen = True Then
        TextFileName.Text = .FileName
        PropertyPage.Changed = True
    End If
    End With
    End Sub
    This approach does not requie any subclassing/hack.

Krool, OP didn't want to use a property page if another option was available. The subclassing/hack negates a property page.

PowerPoster

I know but it was not sure what the OP mentioned with his property page.

It could have mean:
    1. He don't want to use property page at all. Then your right.
    2. He just know how to browse in a property page but don't know how to get the ellipsis button. Then my info was helpful.
    3. He already knew how to get the ellipsis button with a property page. Then my info was not helpful for him but maybe to others.

Here's what we need, and I may dig into LaVolpe's code and see how easy (or difficult) it would be.

We need some code that, when called, puts that ellipse (i.e. three dots, not oval) button on a custom property of the Properties Window. And then, when that's done, and when it's clicked, an event fires with which we can do what we like. That would potentially be very nice for several things regarding User Controls.

But I'm being dragged to a party today, so maybe next week.

Y'all Take Care,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

there's also plenty of ways to avoid using thunks... although I haven't studied LaVolpe's example in depth.

(though they would still require a TLB, or lightweight COM Object)
    Last edited by DEXWERX; Sep 5th, 2017 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DEXWERX View Post
    there's also plenty of ways to avoid using thunks... although I haven't studied LaVolpe's example in depth.
    Not so sure regarding changing the behavior of the property sheet in IDE unfortunately, unless an outside DLL is used. If there is a cleaner method, I think many would appreciate it. An easier method of customizing the property sheet would be a nice.

@LaVolpe: I'm sure (hoping) you mean the Property Window. Wow, wouldn't it be nice if, under Procedure Attributes, we had a "Show ellipse button with code event for this procedure" option (Just for UC Get/Let procedures, of course).

PowerPoster

Not so sure regarding changing the behavior of the property sheet in IDE unfortunately, unless an outside DLL is used. If there is a cleaner method, I think many would appreciate it. An easier method of customizing the property sheet would be a nice.
    good point. "unless an outside DLL is used" is key. I would just go the DLL route, and I think that's the same route vbAccelerator went. I guess it all depends on what's meant by clean. (who wants an extra DLL dependancy on a user control)
    For me it's clean enough if I can swap out the DLL for release builds.

Fanatic Member

I can't thank you guys enough for all of the responses here, It looks as if I'm not the only one that has tried to accomplish the creation of a generic ellipse button.

Not having done much with property pages, I made a bad assumption that there would be a great deal of common functionality between a VB Form and a VB Property Page, so I went down a dead-end-road.

I created my own property page and in the Form_Load procedure I setup the Common Dialog to browse for a file which all worked. And as it was placed in the Load event, VB didn't display the Property Page, at least not at first. My goal was to then Unload the Property Page, or Hide it, or set Visible to False or something; and to do so either right at the end of the Form_Load procedure, or in the Form_Activate event thus closing out the Property Page before it had a chance to be displayed. Sadly I couldn't find a way to terminate or 'force' unload a Property Page. As a bit of a drastic last ditch effort, since I was close to a solution, I even tried using the dreaded 'end' statement, which worked - well sort of.

I was able to browse for a file name using my 'custom' ellipse button without any Property Page being displayed, but once the 'end' statement was executed, my UserControl 'stalled' or whatever it does when the cross-hatching appears, so that sort of ended that.

If anybody knows of a way to programmatically close a Property Page, without the user clicking on a button, this could still be a workable solution.

Such a bummer as It seemed like an OK approach until I hit the brick wall. I tried something close to the same thing with the 'about' property method which worked, but this only shifted the problem to dealing with using a property named (About) to bring up a Common Dialog, or find a way to change it's name from (About) to Browse.

As an interim solution I created a Boolean property named Show Browser that when changed to True, I display the Common Dialog. After the Common Dialog is closed I immediately return the Boolean value back to False for the next time around. While this works, it's a bit clumsy.

I don't know if I will use the sub classing example or not, but knowing that it's out there I can't help myself from at least taking a look at it.

Thanks.

Fanatic Member

LaVolpe: I had just gone back to take a look at the code bank submission in your post when the digits '69' caught my eye!

You have a beautiful Mach I and the coupe is pretty nice as well. I'd say you made the right decision as to which one to sell. Unfortunately I haven't been able to work on it for some time, but I have a 69 Mach I in mid restoration sitting on a rotisserie. Next to the car sits a 429 waiting for it's 460 crank and a possible 30 over-bore bringing it to 514 ci. Boy I miss working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by stuck-n-past View Post
    You have a beautiful Mach I and the coupe is pretty nice as well. I'd say you made the right decision as to which one to sell. Unfortunately I haven't been able to work on it for some time, but I have a 69 Mach I in mid restoration sitting on a rotisserie. Next to the car sits a 429 waiting for it's 460 crank and a possible 30 over-bore bringing it to 514 ci. Boy I miss working on it.
    Sounds a lot like the Stang on John Wick. I'm too old to mess with complete restoration, probably only be able to drive it for another 10 years, as-is. Then my reflexes may not be good enough any longer -- manual brakes, stick = fast reactions needed to stop quickly. Any way, plans are to pass it down to my son if he's financially stable enough for it; else will be selling it. Love the 69. The 70 is nice too. After that -- Machs/Fastbacks kinda went ugly IMO until Ford brought back the retros.

Fanatic Member

I'm right there with you, I feel like Ford completely destroyed the Mach I, by 73 I grew to hate it. I don't like to think about it, but I doubt I'll ever put a wrench to her again! Somehow just having it near sitting in the garage gives me hope. My boys have been fighting over who gets it since they were born. I think if I were ever on life support, they wouldn't have a problem making the final decision knowing it would get them one step closer to the car. No - actually my boys are pretty great about it, even wanting to submit it to Overhauling so I would have a finished car, but for me a large part of the enjoyment is in doing the restoration myself. My goal was to have a completely stock looking car from the outside with a monster under the hood and all of the modern day conveniences, power everything.

It just makes me cringe when I see them wreck up the classic old muscle cars on movies. John Wick, Jack Reacher, etc. Seeing those cars crashed makes me pang more than the blood and guts. Hopefully, they're just some kind of mocked-up reproductions, and not the real thing.

I know that, on the Italian Job, those were real Mini Coopers. Supposedly, they went through 16 of them, although only 3 were "featured" in the movie. I guess they had 5 of each color, and one to spare.

@Elroy. There was a 69 Mustang Fastback in Jack Reacher, but you'd have to be alert to notice. Hint: When he parked the Camaro at the crack-house.

@Stuck... The 67 was destined for my daughter, but at the time I sold it, she was only 15. Wife didn't want to keep it for another 5+ years as I wasn't going to give it to her until at least that age. Son is looking at the 69 right now as a lottery ticket. I told him that when the time came and he was mature enough (he'll turn 26 this year & will be in 30's by that time), he could have the car but no title. He'll get that when I die. That way he won't be able to sell it while I'm alive. Problem with these old cars, if you drive them, they're money pits. I've got $25K invested in my 69 to date and still need to restore the interior, plus some minor external body work
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Sep 8th, 2017 at 06:10 PM.

Ah, here's a nice link with images of Machs through their short history. I think the Mustang II Mach version was used in the Charles Bronson movie "Mr. Majestik". Egad, what an ugly Mustang. The 69 & 70 are the best. But if you're gonna include fastbacks, love the earlier non-Mach versions too, like the 68 in Steve McQueen's "Bullitt".

http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/...ustang-mach-1/

LaVolpe, have you seen the Go Like H*ll movie? It's basically a documentary about how Henry Ford II went on total tilt to start taking the titles of the 24 hours at Lemans away from Enzo Ferrari in the mid-1960s. He couldn't get it done until he brought in Carroll Shelby, and even then it took a few years.

Ferrari had totally dominated the race prior to that point, typically coming in with Ferrari's in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd spots. They'd often slow down on the last lap and cross the finish line together.

For a documentary, it's an incredible movie, at least as good as Senna or Winning (The Racing Life of Paul Newman).

And, truth be told, my favorite car of all time would be an original Shelby Cobra (not Mustang). But I'd certainly take a blown Shelby Mustang.

Take Care,
    Elroy

Fanatic Member

Ah man Elroy, I little part of me dies every time I see a classic car needlessly wrecked for a TV show.

Over seven seasons, the General Lee went airborne more than 150 times. Although it seemed fine on screen, the General rarely survived a jump. Warner Brothers totaled an average of two Chargers per episode. By the time filming ended, an estimated 300 Chargers had starred as the General Lee

Not that the Charger was a favorite of mine, but that’s a crazy number of cars.

LaVolpe – That might be the best I’ve heard yet, hand down the car but hold onto the title. Yea know in a way I’m glad I had two boys because if I had a girl I just know I’d be over protective, the whole double standard thing for sure. A teen and a car don’t always mix well and even a straight-6 in a 67 coupe has some getup and go and I’d be on the edge of my sear till I saw her back home and safe, and yes I'm talking about the girl and not the car, well mostly about the girl. I can’t imagine what I would do whenever she was out on a date simply because I know what I was like as a teen and dating. I've been lucky as both of my boys survived there first years of driving.

Ahhh, man. 300 Chargers. That might actually be more criminal than Microsoft abandoning VB6. *laughs*

Fanatic Member

Steve McQueen's car was really nice, I think there was an episode of Pawn-Stars where Rick had the chance to buy the actual car from the movie. Even though it was heavily modified, the Mustang in gone in 60 seconds, Eleanor, was pretty cool. You can buy the entire body kit to make your own.

Regarding the 67 and the daughter -- absolutely. You know what's crazy. The guy that bought my 67 asked lots of questions and then I asked him one... Who is the car for? Reason I asked is that guys my age (most guys) would want an 8 cylinder vs 6 unless it was a "my very first car" scenario. When he said his 15-year old daughter, I considered to refuse selling it to him unless he promised one condition... Install modern 3-point seat belts at a minimum and seriously consider converting from drum to disc brakes, preferably boost-assist. Though that car was solid metal, with a lap belt the only thing holding you in, it's a death trap in a front-end collision. Those were the minimal modifications I would've made if I did pass it down to my daughter. Any way, he agreed and I sold him the car.

Edited: I could've sold the car a year earlier. I'm in Illinois and someone from Virginia called about it. Wanted it as a 50th year birthday present for her husband. I asked her to reconsider and find out first whether her hubby would want a 6 cylinder. Because I told her that if I had a choice, I'd want the V8. She called me back a week later and thanked me for my honesty and frankness -- her hubby would've been disappointed. My wife accused me of intentionally sabotaging the sale because she felt I didn't want to sell it. I think she was partly correct.

BTW. I initially bought the car to drive for a couple years and flip. I got such a great deal that I cleared a few grand, even after putting a couple grand into it to make it road safe & dressing
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Sep 8th, 2017 at 07:10 PM.

Fanatic Member

LOL - when dealing with cars, there have been many a times where my wife passed the verdict of guilty without even entertaining the possibility of innocence. It's hard to try and bluff your way out of a $1,000 dollar Visa bill when they include the damn description for the merchandise right there on the invoice - "Aluminum Heads". So I can relate to her suspicion of you sabotaging the deal to keep the car.

If you could get airbags into these classics along with decent seat belts, you would have a very survivable car especially with there ace in the hole, large heavy gauge steel bodies. They would more then likely be the victor in a crash with a modern day car.

Quote Originally Posted by stuck-n-past View Post
    If you could get airbags into these classics along with decent seat belts, you would have a very survivable car especially with there ace in the hole, large heavy gauge steel bodies. They would more then likely be the victor in a crash with a modern day car.
    Ain't that the truth.

Some people ask why I drive my car if you can believe that? It only gets about 11-12 MPG and I improved that from 8 MPG when I first got it. That is their rationale along with it not being Earth-friendly (polluter). Even at $3+ per gallon for high octane, I drop $50 a week most weeks of the summer months... It's not the cost, its the joy/thrill, its the feeling of truly driving. Can't really be done with just a finger and toe like modern cars. Though today's cars can be more powerful than these 50-year old engines, it isn't the same. It's something our millennials may never have the opportunity to experience and some can't even comprehend. How unfortunate. But at least their life expectancy behind the wheel is vastly improved with the newer cars -- as long as they refrain from texting!!!
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Sep 8th, 2017 at 09:06 PM.

The way you describe yours, you are headed to about where I was with mine. Cost of driving it did limit at times how much I drove. I bought mine to drive, not a "trailer queen". I replaced a Holley 670 dual pumper with a Holley 600 single and swapped out a radical racing cam needing 1300 RPMs to idle with a more mild cam needing about 900 RPMs give or take. Invested in a modern electronic dizzy custom curved for my engine. I think 12 MPG was original specs for these when they came out of the factory

Edited: The one thing I wished I did different was instead of rebuilding the 4-speed tranny, I replaced it with a 5/6-speed. At that time, I was waffling in the mindset "keep 69-ish" or "modernize". I decided to stay year-specific. But at 40 mph, and 4th gear, there are no more gears. Not horrible, but would be nicer with extra gears. At 75 mph, I'm right around 3200 rpm in 4th
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Sep 8th, 2017 at 08:42 PM.

Fanatic Member

Man the decision of what transmission to use is a tough one, Manual or Auto, number of gears, matching cam profile / power curve to individual gear ratio spacing and then the final drive so you can hear your own radio at highway speeds. You can pick just about engine / transmission pairing with all of the after market parts. Just from Holly, Edelbrock and Lokar, you can find just about any cable and or electronic control units to handle shifting. And then there’s Gear Vendors allowing one to virtually double the number of gears in your tranny. Although I think they are way over priced for what you’re getting.

I had almost completely given up manual transmissions because of a bum knee. But I enjoyed shifting too much to give in, so I slapped together some custom pivot arms, bearings, a cordless drill and some electronics rigged to a thumb actuated level that I mounted to the side of my 5-speed shift knob.

When my knee would act up, regular shifting became a problem especially in stop and go traffic, so with my home made contraption, I was able to engaged and disengage my cars manual clutch proportionally with the simple press of the thumb lever. I had positioned the level in such a way that it comfortably fit my hand with a normal grip on the shift knob without it feeling awkward. As I would pressed the lever with my thumb you could watch the clutch pedal being depressed and if needed or desired you could still use your foot to work the clutch just as you normally would. It was the coolest setup I’ve ever had in a car. You had the fun of a manual, and very close to an automatic during any annoying city driving.

The ultimate goal for my Mach I was to have a daily driver with all of the creature comforts of a modern car, especially A/C, all with a bone stock outward appearance. And if I were to ever get the chance to work on it again, I believe that my age would dictate having an automatic transmission or recreate my thumb activated shift lever and toss in a manual tranny for the fun of driving.

I'm in Illinois and someone from Virginia called about it.
    Aha .. the truth about Waldo is finally out ..
    Is it anywhere near Cham-bana?

Going somewhat more OT on this somewhat OT discussion, I got my degree in Architecture there.
    And, oh, yeah, I'm in Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooman View Post
    Aha .. the truth about Waldo is finally out ..
    Is it anywhere near Cham-bana?
    Not too close, I'm just outside of St Louis

Quote Originally Posted by stuck-n-past
    ... then the final drive so you can hear your own radio at highway speeds... especially A/C...
    A/C would be nice and my radio is pointless at highway speeds. But then again, I don't drive with the windows rolled up either, even if I had A/C. Like the wind thru my hair and the sound of the dual FlowMasters 40s. At idle the lope is a head-turner; that classic sound never gets old. I've even had people pull up beside me on the highway and screaming their approval

If I were a much younger man when I got mine, I would've converted her similar to what you are doing, not so radical. I would've added a modern Crate for performance, economy & reliability, added power brakes, A/C, maybe an automatic (maybe not), and considered other modern items like cruise & powered windows. All that would've been done with the idea that I'd be keeping the car forever. However, got this car shortly after turning 50 when son moved out on his own. Getting too long in the tooth to wait much longer. A 69 Fastback (stock 302) was my very first car @ 17. Two best friends had a 70's Nova & Cutlass 442. These beasts were common first cars for many teenage boys back then. Just needed to put in the hours at McDonalds (et al) for a year or so to save up.

Our girls turn 50 in another 18 months. You may want your sons to start putting yours together, with your oversight, so she can feel the road again. After all, if one of them will eventually get the car, they'll need to be able to work on it too. 69 Machs are not nearly as common as coupes and it's shame for them to stay hidden under a roof and dust.

Edited. Too bad about your knee. Even if I lived in a crowded city, I think I'd still want the stick. In the past, when I lived in Chicago, I hated driving sticks between the stop lights... Barely get to 3rd before downshifting again. But for this Mustang, I'd gladly suffer through it if I had too. The area I live in now is comparable to a small suburb -- lots of 2 lane roads with miles between stop lights/signs once outside the town-proper.

Know we've been carrying on about our cars, but I gathered you kinda got your answer for this thread and now it's just a matter of deciding how you are going to proceed?
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Sep 9th, 2017 at 10:38 AM.

Fanatic Member

Sorry, I guess all now understand that my condition stems from an obsessive interest and exposure to both VB and Cars, medically proven to be a deadly combination.

Displaying the Common Dialog in my UserControl will most likely stay with the ‘dummy’ property that I named ‘FileSearch’. It’s a boolean property that when double clicked in the IDE, temporarily sets it’s value to True which then displays the file browser.

Code:
          Public Property Let FileSearch(New_Value As Boolean)
    '
          Dim Filter As String
          Dim FileName As String
    '
    '     Only display the Common Dialog when the property value is True
    '
          If (New_Value) Then
    '
            Filter = "Input Files" & Chr$(0) & "*txt;*.log"
    '
            FileName = File_Browser(App.hInstance, UserControl.hwnd, "Select File", Filter)
            If (Len(FileName) <> 0) Then
    '
    '         Mark the property as being changed
    '
              Call PropertyChanged("FileName")
    '
    '         Put your own File processing here
    '
              Call Process_File(FileName)
    '
    '         Return the 'FileSearch' property back to False so it will be ready the next time around
    '
              FileSearch = False
    '
            End If
          End If
    '
          End Property
    Minus the ellipse button, this functions very much like a PictureBox property when loading an Image.

I really like the Sub-Classing example, but I still have this uneasy feeling about Sub-Classing, and if avoidable, I tend to take a different route when there’s an option to do so.

I’m still holding for an ‘Unload (Me)’ equivalent for a PropertyPage, which could prove to be the best solution of all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast