Thread: The "Visual Basic FAQs" section -- how does it work?

The "Visual Basic FAQs" section -- how does it work?

I've been studying the "Visual Basic FAQs" section in preparation for requesting that a thread be moved into there.

However, I'm confused about how this "Visual Basic FAQs" section works. For instance, I can go to the "Classic VB - What picture types does VB support?" thread, and see that it's within the "Visual Basic FAQs" section.

However, when I back up to the "Visual Basic FAQs" section, that thread isn't listed. Am I doing something wrong? It'd be nice if I could browse any/all of the "Visual Basic FAQs" thread entries.

Thanks For Your Work as Moderators,
    Elroy

Name:  faqs.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  33.4 KB
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Sinecure devotee

Re: The "Visual Basic FAQs" section -- how does it work?

Its been mentioned several times for other forums.
    Toward the bottom left, in the "Thread Display Options" area, change the "Show thread from the ..." drop down to "Beginning".
    Then to the right hit the "Show Threads" button.

I changed the default view to be the last year. If that doesn't pull too much, I'll leave it. It was previously set to just pulling the last few days as the default.

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ahhh, thanks for the explanation. If it were me, I'd default it to "Beginning", but that's just my humble opinion.

Again, Thanks for All You Do,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    If it were me, I'd default it to "Beginning", but that's just my humble opinion.
    There is a balance between loading hundreds of threads and server load, especially on a popular forum. In this case, going back a year is still more posts than what most people would page through.

Elroy

Forgive me for possibly "stealing" the gist of this thread, but were you thinking of
    the "Installing the VB6 IDE ..." you've been working on?

If so, I'm heartened by the fact that Replys are accepted in "Visual Basic FAQs"

Brad

I mention this, because my first inclination was that Elroy was going to go into the FAQ section listed in the general Forums menu bar region, and Replys do not appear to be accepted there.

So ...
    for newbies like me that are inclined to just hit FAQ, which produces this ...

Name:  faq1.png
Views: 164
Size:  32.5 KB

.. would it be deemed useful to include a "Language FAQ" section, with entries such as

VB.Net FAQ
    Visual Basic FAQ

.. where upon clicking one of them would direct the user to said sub-forum.

As it is, finding the Visual Basic FAQ section is somewhat obscure .. 13th in the listing
    of Visual Basic when one clicks on the Forum button

Spoo
    Last edited by Spooman; Aug 31st, 2017 at 04:47 PM.

Interesting. I don't recall anyone ever asking that before. I'll look at this over the next few days. Feel free to remind me in a week or so if nothing changes....
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Brad

You're on! ..

Spoo

Brad

Here's a possibly related side-issue for you to deliberate on .. create a parallel Questions section.

I've since taken notice of your sticky adminition ..

Exclamation "How to submit a FAQ - READ ME FIRST"

This forum is for FAQs related to Visual Basic. You can use this forum to see the answers to commonly asked questions.

Please note that questions should not be posted on this forum. If you require help with code etc, please select the appropriate forum from the forum index.

You can submit new FAQs; however, be aware that they need to follow the format as described below. Additionally, this is a fully moderated forum, which means that posts must be approved before they are displayed.
    ..which is fine.

But I did one somewhere (I can't recall exactly), and after I clicked Submit (actually, it may even have just been Go AdVanced), I got a "blue" screen akin to the one one gets when Unsubscribing from a post. I have 2 issues with that situation.

1. The message appeared, but it lasted such a short time I was unable to "get" it.
    2. I never got a PM explaining what happened.

So, the concept of the parallel Questions section would be that "inappropriate" questions would be placed there pending review, and the questioner would at least be able to see what he posted, and at best would have the opportunity to reflect on the situation and make adjustments, if appropriate.

Hope that makes sense.

EDIT-1:

Regarding the "primary" issue, upon reflection, I looked at the 1st 2 "stickies". Here is Si's

Name:  faq2.png
Views: 152
Size:  37.1 KB

Pino's is similar.
    This is exactly what I was thinking of.
    So, if you in fact deem it reasonable to put a similar feature in the basic FAQ section, all that would be needed would be to automatically redirect to either Si's or Pino's thread.

Spoo
    Last edited by Spooman; Sep 1st, 2017 at 08:21 AM.

If the issue was the "something went wrong" warning, then a copy of the post is not stored on our system, so there would be nothing pending to review. We'd have to know what the 'blue' screen was in order to know if something could be done.

Brad

10-4 on that.
    If I can replicate the situation, I'd advise.

BTW, you posted while I was Editting .. hope you caught the contents thereof.

Spoo

Keep in mind - this forum is third party software that we avoid hacking. As such, what we will do is limited.

10-4

Brad

Name:  faq3.png
Views: 300
Size:  17.9 KB

That didn't take even close to a week !!
    Nice

Spoo

Quote Originally Posted by Spooman View Post
    That didn't take even close to a week !!
    Nope. The basic link was easy to add. It would be nice to do something more comprehensive, but what I put there last night seems like a good compromise for now!