Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to prevent duplicate entry in database?

How to prevent duplicate entry in database?

Hello,

I am working on a cinema hall booking project. At many places I have to prevent duplicate entries. I am running a string to find out if there is any previous entry or not. I am running following code

Private Sub cmdSave_Click()
    Dim Sev As New ADODB.Recordset

Str = "Select * from Movie_Time where 'Mov_Name' = '" & cboMovie.Text & "' and 'screen' = '" & cboScreenName.Text & "' and 'cls' = '" & cboClass.Text & "' and 'Mov_Time' = '" & cboMovieTime.Text & "' and Week_StDate = " & StDate.Value & " and Week_EnDate = " & EnDate.Value & ""
    'CN.Execute Str
    Sev.Open Str, CN, adOpenDynamic, adLockPessimistic
    MsgBox Str & vbCrLf & Sev.RecordCount, vbOKOnly

If Sev.RecordCount > 0 Then
    End If
    If Sev.EOF = False Then
    MsgBox "This Entry is Already Added", vbOKOnly, "Duplicate Entry!!!"
    Sev.Close
    Exit Sub
    End If
    Sev.Close
    Sev.Open "Select * from Movie_Time", CN, adOpenDynamic, adLockPessimistic
    If Not Sev.EOF Then Sev.MoveLast
    Sev.AddNew
    Sev.Fields("Mov_Name") = cboMovie.Text
    Sev.Fields("Screen") = cboScreenName.Text
    Sev.Fields("Cls") = cboClass.Text
    Sev.Fields("Mov_Time") = cboMovieTime.Text
    Sev.Fields("Price") = txtPrice.Text
    Sev.Fields("Week_StDate") = Format$(StDate.Value, "MM/DD/YY")
    Sev.Fields("Week_EnDate") = Format$(EnDate.Value, "MM/DD/YY")
    Sev.Update
    Sev.Close
    MsgBox "Movie Time Saved Succesfully", vbInformation + vbOKOnly
    frmNewMovie.Mov_Display
    Unload Me

End Sub

All fields in database are text except Week_StDate & Week_EnDate which are Date/Time

Even when the table is not empty, when open the database with Sev.Open"Select * from Movie_Time",CN,AdOpenDynamic,AdLockPessimistic & pass a line with Sev.Recordcount I get -1 as result.

Please help.

Thanks,

Dharmesh Joshi

Re: How to prevent duplicate entry in database?

Welcome to the forums

Don't rely on the .RecordCount property. Depending on which cursor type you use (server side usually) when connecting to DB/RS, it may return -1 instead of an actual count. To see if any records are returned: If .EOF = True And .BOF = True

If you need to the actual record count, I think you can .MoveLast then .RecordCount returns the correct value; but not 100% positive about that.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Thanks LaVolpe for the response.

I am using LaVolpeButtons in all my projects. Thanks for those lovely button controls, too.

BTW, looking at above code, do you smell something fishy?

Dharmesh Joshi

Hi joshidharmesh101,

I didn't study your code above, but I do a tremendous amount of work with VB6 and MS-Access databases. To begin with, I'd like to second what LaVolpe stated about the .RecordCount property. I've never found it to lie about the presence (or lack) of records. In other words, I've always found it to be truthful when used as a boolean (there are records versus there aren't records). However, it's often quite unreliable when asking it to tell you the exact number of records.

Regarding your question about duplicates, in these cases, I always create an index on the field for which I don't want duplicates. If you create the index to "have no dupes", then you can either use error trapping or the .Seek method to check. Personally, I'd strongly recommend the .Seek method over error trapping, as I don't like error trapping when there's an obvious solution without using it.

Just saying how I'd do it.

Best Regards,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

I altered the code posted in the OP removing the extra select statement exit sub, record count and extra close statement.

Give it a try
    Code:
        Dim Sev As ADODB.Recordset
        Set Sev = New ADODB.Recordset

Str = "Select * from Movie_Time where 'Mov_Name' = '" & cboMovie.Text & "' and 'screen' = '" & cboScreenName.Text & "' and 'cls' = '" & cboClass.Text & "' and 'Mov_Time' = '" & cboMovieTime.Text & "' and Week_StDate = " & StDate.Value & " and Week_EnDate = " & EnDate.Value & ""
        Debug.Print Str
        If Sev.EOF Then
            Sev.AddNew
            Sev.Update
            Sev.Close
            frmNewMovie.Mov_Display
            Unload Me
        Else
            Sev.Close
        End If

End Sub
    Last edited by DataMiser; Aug 30th, 2017 at 11:02 AM.

Fanatic Member

The typical way of ensuring uniqueness is a database is to use a Composite Key or a unique index across multiple fields.

In this case, I think that's Mov_Name, Screen and Mov_Time.
    Create a unique index on these three fields.

Then your application no longer needs to worry about checking for duplicates because the database simply won't allow then. Also, in a truly multi-user environment (which Access isn't) this is the only reliable way of doing this check; reading and then inserting based on the outcome can result in what's called a "Race Condition" where two competing processes do the same things in the same order at [almost] the same time and both of them succeed. With the database protecting itself, this cant happen.

Regards, Phill W.

I glossed over everything after I read that you got a -1 ... so this may be repeat info... if you're getting -1 it means that there are rows, but because it is server-side cursor, ADO does NOT know how many rows there are.
    To be honest, if all you're interested int knowing is if there are rows or not... then use a select count(*) instead. Just return the count don't bother returning all the rows. As long as there is data in the table you'll always get a row back and it'll have the count of the rows that matched which should be 0 (meaning no rows matched) or >=1 (meaning one or more rows matched). I see Phill's remark about a primary key and I agree... but I don't like to rely solely on that because it cause errors to happen and they can be expensive (from a CPU) and sometimes difficult to capture properly. So if it take a split second to be proactive and run a quick query to see if the data is about to be duplicated, then that's a better way to go in my opinion. Now, that's not to say you shouldn't add a PKey index, you should, but you shouldn't rely on that being the sole means of deduping the data.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hi,

it might be helpful to visualize the rows and seats of the cinema with a Flexgrid?

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()
     Dim i As Long

With MSFlexGrid1
             .Rows = 50
             .Cols = 50
             .FixedCols = 0
             .FocusRect = flexFocusHeavy

For i = 0 To .Cols - 1
                .TextMatrix(0, i) = "Row " & i + 1
             Next

For i = .FixedRows To .Rows - 1
                .TextMatrix(i, 0) = "Seat " & i
                .TextMatrix(i, 1) = "Seat " & i
                .TextMatrix(i, 4) = "Seat " & i
             Next
          End With
    End Sub

Private Sub MSFlexGrid1_RowColChange()
    With MSFlexGrid1
    Row = .Row
    Col = .Col
    Text1.Text = "your row" & .Col + 1 & " your seat" & .Row

End With

End Sub
    regards
    Chris
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    ,,, deduping the data.

-tg
    D'oh

PowerPoster

Define a check constraint on the table, something like:

CONSTRAINT ccUnique UNIQUE(Mov_Name,Screen,Mov_Time,Week_StDate,Week_EnDate)

Span as few fields as it takes to make each entry unique. The check constraint expression that follows its name is limited to 64 characters long in Jet and ACE SQL, other DBMSs may have other limitations.

This can be defined in SQL DDL as part of the table definition or via a subsequent ADD CONSTRAINT.

If your teacher has given an assignment like this then most likely the topic was already covered in lecture or in reading assignments and you are expected to use it instead of hackish alternatives.

Thanks all for the replies.

Let me clarify that assigning a primary key to avoid duplicates is not possible because every field can be duplicated. I want to avoid duplicate entries of combination of all parameters.

I am not a programming person & have learnt VB out of curiosity so my knowledge is limited to what I have gained from code examples from different forums & what I have worked with. Please bear with my limited knowledge.

Let us talk about business. I tried to run code suggested by DataMiser but it did not prevent duplicate entry. So I modified the opening string as in following code.

Code:

Str = "select * from Movie_Time where  Mov_Name   =  " & cboMovie.Text & " And  Screen = " & cboScreenName.Text & " And    cls    = " & cboClass.Text & " And   Mov_Time  = " & cboMovieTime.Text & " And  Week_StDate  = " & StDate.Value & " And  Week_EnDate =  " & EnDate.Value & ""

Debug.Print Str

MsgBox Str & vbCrLf & Sev.RecordCount, vbOKOnly

'If Sev.RecordCount > 0 Then
    'End If
    'If Sev.EOF = False Then
    '    MsgBox "This Entry is Already Added", vbOKOnly, "Duplicate Entry!!!"
    '    Sev.Close
    '    Exit Sub
    'End If
    'Sev.Close
    'Sev.Open "Select * from Movie_Time", CN, adOpenDynamic, adLockPessimistic
    'Sev.Open Str, CN, adOpenDynamic, adLockPessimistic

If Sev.EOF Then
                Sev.Close
            Exit Sub
        Else
        Sev.MoveLast
        Sev.AddNew
        Sev.Update
        Sev.Close
        End If
    frmNewMovie.Mov_Display
    Unload Me

End Sub
    Running this code gives me error as in attached picture.

Name:  Error Message.bmp
Views: 1806
Size:  222.7 KB

Even changing properties of Week_StDate & Week_EnDate field properties from Date/Time to Text in database did not solve the error.

Thanks for all the help you are offering me.

Dharmesh Joshi

Even changing properties of Week_StDate & Week_EnDate field properties from Date/Time to Text in database
    Don't do that. Ever. Treat dates as dates.
    The reason your SQL didn't work is because it came out like this: Week_StDate = 08/25/17 ... which, when WE see it, looks like a date, because we apply human reading and context to it... but to a computer, it's a mathematical equasion of 8 divided by 25 divided by 17 ..... hmmm... I see that the problem is actually triggered before that.... it all starts with the Mov_Name ... when you compare something to a string, the string needs to be in tick marks so that SQL knows you mean string as opposed to an object or a function or something else... it hit the word "Hero" and it goes "I don't know what the heck hero is... soo.... syntax error".... Also dates and times (as long as they remain typed correctly) should be marked as such, in Access it uses #
    So your code should look like this:
    Code:
    Str = "select * from Movie_Time where  Mov_Name   =  '" & cboMovie.Text & "' And  Screen = '" & cboScreenName.Text & "' And    cls    = '" & cboClass.Text & "' And   Mov_Time  = #" & cboMovieTime.Text & "# And  Week_StDate  = #" & StDate.Value & "# And  Week_EnDate =  #" & EnDate.Value & "#"
    Personally, I'd store the date and time together, rather than in separate fields. But that's probably just me.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by joshidharmesh101 View Post
    Let me clarify that assigning a primary key to avoid duplicates is not possible because every field can be duplicated. I want to avoid duplicate entries of combination of all parameters.
    That makes no sense. In one sentence, you're saying they CAN be duplicate, in the next you're saying you want to prevent that. Either they can be duplicated, or they can't. If they can't then creating a Unique PKey index on the columns that can't be duplicated will help. That's what it's for. Take a school. A given class, say Biology can only happen at a given time in a given room - it can happen in other rooms at the same time, it can happen in the same room at other times, it can be at other times in other rooms... but for a specific time and room, there can only be one class happening there... so if I want to prevent two classes from being booked in the same classroom at the same times, I'd create a composite index that includes the ClassID (Biology), the RoomID (Edison Hall, Rm 205), and the TimeSlotID (9:25am-M,W,F) (I wouldn't use the time specifically because they, like strings tend to index poorly)... so now I have an index that covers all three fields. Now I can't insert that same combination into the database. (granted, as I write that, I see other issues with it, but I'm just trying to illustrate a point that I don't see why you can't create a PKey on your table with the fields that you don't want to be duplicated.)

I am not a programming person & have learnt VB out of curiosity so my knowledge is limited to what I have gained from code examples from different forums & what I have worked with. Please bear with my limited knowledge.
    That's fine.... we all started somewhere. At least you have the internet. I didn't have that luxury. I had to read books! Eeep!

-tg

Fanatic Member

> "Let me clarify that assigning a primary key to avoid duplicates is not possible because every field can be duplicated. I want to avoid duplicate entries of combination of all parameters."

A primary key can be made up of any number of fields, the combination of which must be unique. Given a primary key on Mov_name, Screen and Mov_Time, all of these are possible:
    Code:
    +--------------------+----------+----------+
    | Mov_Name           | Screen   | Mov_Time | ... 
    | Hero               | Screen-1 | 21:00    | 
    | Hero               | Screen-2 | 22:00    | 
    | Gulliver's Travels | Screen-2 | 22:00    | 
    Actually, looking it at it like this, the Primary Key probably ought to be on just Screen and Mov_Time because you can't have more than one film showing on any one screen at any one time. Which film is showing is only a secondary concern and so this field doesn't need to be part of the Key.

> "Running this code gives me error as in attached picture ... "

Remember that you are constructing a String that just happens to contain text that your database understands.

You need to wrap character values in single quotes (and double-up any single-quotes within each value) and date values in hash marks:
    Code:
    "Mov_Name = 'Hero' and Screen = 'Screen-1' and Cls = 'Gold' and Mov_Time = '12:00' and Week_StDate = #08/25/17# and Week_EnDate = #08/31/17#"
    Nice try with using Format() on the date values but, if your column is already a Date[Time] then it's pointless; you're taking a Date value, turning it into a String, then putting it into a Date[Time] column; all of those implicit type conversions are opportunities for VB and/or Windows to do something stupid in [mis-]interpreting your dates.
    When is "01/04/07"? April 1st? January 4th? April 7th [2001]?
    All of these are potentially right, depending on where in the World your code gets run.

With your code as it stands, have fun trying to screen "Gulliver's Travels".
    (Hint: Double-up single quotes in character values when building your SQL).
    (Better Hint: Read up about Parameterised queries).

Regards, Phill W.

Hi Phil

Actually, looking it at it like this, the Primary Key probably ought to be on just Screen and Mov_Time because you can't have more than one film showing on any one screen at any one time. Which film is showing is only a secondary concern and so this field doesn't need to be part of the Key.
    I don't now about the US Cinemas, but in Germany on the ticket there is Row/Seat number/Date/ and Movie
    somtimes there are more then one Cinemas in a Complex.

so if there are pre-bookings, when people like to sit way back(like I do) they ask for a certain seat or row.

just my thought's

regards
    Chris
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

PowerPoster

Running this code gives me error as in attached picture.

Dharmesh Joshi
    This line is wrong
    Code:
    Str = "select * from Movie_Time where  Mov_Name   =  " & cboMovie.Text & " And  Screen = " & cboScreenName.Text & " And    cls    = " & cboClass.Text & " And   Mov_Time  = " & cboMovieTime.Text & " And  Week_StDate  = " & StDate.Value & " And  Week_EnDate =  " & EnDate.Value & ""
    Compare it to this one and take notice of the delimiters around each string value

Code:
    Of course now that I look closer at it this one also is missing delimiters for the dates at the end [the part in red]

Edit: Now that I look closer still I see delimiters in that second line that should not be there either
    You should not have the 's around the field names
    You should have the 's around the values for the text fields.

Frenzied Member

i did a quick read trough this topic, and i have to agree with Phill.W
    placing a unique constraint on the combination of Screen and Mov_Time (and maybe seat number ?)
    is enough to avoid duplicate reservations (if Mov_time is a datetime, and not just a time)

and if this is an access db, and you have difficulties with sql
    you could use isam methods (seeking on an index, blazingly fast), to do the check of existence

but what time after time amazes me, is that almost nobody who searches help in these forums, finds it usefull to post a database
    do not put off till tomorrow what you can put off forever

Thanks all for the responses. I really learn something from each reply.

I did some changes to my code & finally it is working fine. I had to find the way by trial & error just because I am not a professional coder. Below is my final working code. I was missing # around date records & that was my mistake. Below is my final working code.

Code:
    Str = "Select * from Movie_Time where Mov_Name = '" & cboMovie.Text & "' and Screen = '" & cboScreenName.Text & "' and cls = '" & cboClass.Text & "' and Mov_Time = '" & cboMovieTime.Text & "' and Week_StDate = #" & StDate.Value & "# and Week_EnDate = #" & EnDate.Value & "#"
        If Sev.EOF = False Then
                Sev.Close
            Exit Sub
        Else
        Sev.AddNew
        Sev.Update
        Sev.Close
        End If
    frmNewMovie.Mov_Display
    Unload Me
    End Sub
    My project is going on & will post my queries as I progress.

Thanks all for the time taken to help me.

Dharmesh Joshi

Hi Joshi,

I am just curious, I this one cinema room or more ?
    I always take a pen and paper and wright the scenarios down that could ocur.

like...
    what if a family shows up and want 5 seat's next to each other
    what if a prebooking is canceled.
    when a prebooking is in place, when do they have to be there before the tickets become invalid( say 20min before the film starts)
    etc.....

hope this will get you to think about you project.

regards
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
    Hi Joshi,

I am just curious, I this one cinema room or more ?
    I always take a pen and paper and wright the scenarios down that could ocur.

like...
    what if a family shows up and want 5 seat's next to each other
    what if a prebooking is canceled.
    when a prebooking is in place, when do they have to be there before the tickets become invalid( say 20min before the film starts)
    etc.....

hope this will get you to think about you project.

regards
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

This is a multiplex with 2 screens. It does offer seats as per your choice. I have a flowchart on paper & have reached at a point where I am coding booking system with on screen chart of seating arrangement with booking, printing & cancellation. It will be a fun to learn new features.

Dharmesh Joshi

Hi Joshi,

well that sounds alot diffrent than just checking for a duplicate entry.

good luck with your project

regards
    Chris

Frenzied Member

yes, indeed
    and if well implemented you could even do away with the 'read before you write'
    because 'unique constraint' and 'read before you write' are reactive systems
    and clearly seeing on screen what is free, and what is occupied, and making it impossible to choice occupied
    is proactive
    and if you make it so there is at the same time a 'unique constraint'
    and a 'read before you write'
    and a 'impossible to choice the impossible'
    then you have a well designed system

Quote Originally Posted by IkkeEnGij View Post
    yes, indeed
    and clearly seeing on screen what is free, and what is occupied, and making it impossible to choice occupied
    is proactive
    +1 this

-tg

yes, indeed
    is proactive
    Hi Ikke,

I was playing aroung with an on screen display what is free or not, there would be a few ways of doing that.
    here is one of many...
    a Flexgrid is needed
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Sub FlexInit(Flex As MSFlexGrid)

Dim i As Long, j As Long

With Flex
             .Redraw = False
             .Cols = 20 * 8 + 2
             .Rows = 10
             .FixedCols = 2
             .FixedRows = 2
             .Clear

.ColWidth(0) = 1500
             .TextMatrix(1, 0) = "Date 04.08.2017"
             .TextMatrix(1, 1) = "Time"

.TextMatrix(2, 0) = "Jaws"
             .TextMatrix(3, 0) = "Jaws"
             .TextMatrix(4, 0) = "Jaws"

.ColWidth(1) = 1500
             .TextMatrix(2, 1) = "Sunday  12:00 AM"
             .TextMatrix(3, 1) = "Sunday  03:00 PM"
             .TextMatrix(4, 1) = "Sunday  06:00 PM"

For i = 1 To 20
                j = (i - 1) * 8 + 2
                .TextMatrix(0, j) = Format(i, "00") & " Row"
                .TextMatrix(0, j + 1) = Format(i, "00") & " Row"
                .TextMatrix(0, j + 2) = Format(i, "00") & " Row"
                .TextMatrix(0, j + 3) = Format(i, "00") & " Row"
                .TextMatrix(0, j + 4) = Format(i, "00") & " Row"
                .TextMatrix(0, j + 5) = Format(i, "00") & " Row"
                .TextMatrix(0, j + 6) = Format(i, "00") & " Row"
                .TextMatrix(0, j + 7) = Format(i, "00") & " Row"

'add more

.TextMatrix(1, j) = "1"
                .TextMatrix(1, j + 1) = "2"
                .TextMatrix(1, j + 2) = "3"
                .TextMatrix(1, j + 3) = "4"
                .TextMatrix(1, j + 4) = "5"
                .TextMatrix(1, j + 5) = "6"
                .TextMatrix(1, j + 6) = "7"
                .TextMatrix(1, j + 7) = "8"

'add more
                .ColAlignment(j) = flexAlignCenterCenter
                .ColAlignment(j + 1) = flexAlignCenterCenter
                .ColAlignment(j + 2) = flexAlignCenterCenter
                .ColAlignment(j + 3) = flexAlignCenterCenter
                .ColAlignment(j + 4) = flexAlignCenterCenter
                .ColAlignment(j + 5) = flexAlignCenterCenter
                .ColAlignment(j + 6) = flexAlignCenterCenter
                .ColAlignment(j + 7) = flexAlignCenterCenter

.ColWidth(j) = 300
                .ColWidth(j + 1) = 300
                .ColWidth(j + 2) = 300
                .ColWidth(j + 3) = 300
                .ColWidth(j + 4) = 300
                .ColWidth(j + 5) = 300
                .ColWidth(j + 6) = 300
                .ColWidth(j + 7) = 300

Next
             .Redraw = True

.MergeCells = flexMergeRestrictRows
             .MergeRow(0) = True
          End With
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
          FlexInit MSFlexGrid1

End Sub
    regards
    Chris

Thanks for the replies.

With my ongoing project, I am facing one more challenge. I need to determine index of alphabet. How can I do this in code?

Let me explain the situation. In ticket booking form, I have populated a flexgrid with Rows A to Q & Columns 1 to 28. Now I want to block some cells to mark passages. I want to mark them by black color & disabling those cells for selection.

I have worked with flexgrid in past but this type is new for me.

Thanks,

Dharmesh Joshi

Hi,

try this
    Code:
    Private Sub flexUrlaub_MouseDown(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, x As Single, y As Single)
    Dim Msg As String

If Button = 2 Then
    If flexUrlaub.Row = 2 And flexUrlaub.Col = 2 Then
                Msg = "this cell in this row is blocked "
                MsgBox Msg, vbInformation, "Termin"
                Exit Sub
             End If
    end Sub

regards
    Chris

Fanatic Member

I need to determine index of alphabet.
    Luckily, the ASCII character set is neatly arrange to help you with this:
    Code:
    Dim eLetter as Variant ' String 
    For Each eLetter in Split( "A,B,C,X,Y,Z", "," ) 
       Debug.Print Asc( eLetter ) - Asc( "A" ) 
    Next
    Regards, Phill W.

Thanks Chris & Phill for kindness.

Regards,

Dharmesh Joshi

Frenzied Member

thought i'd have a stab at designing a possible visible interface with a flexgrid
    fg is a flexgrid
    Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()
        Dim i As Integer
        With fg
             .ScrollBars = flexScrollBarNone
             .Appearance = flexFlat
             .AllowBigSelection = False
             .Cols = 33 '28 seat columns + 1 row header + 4 pathways
             .Rows = 20 '17 seat rows + 1 column header + 2 pathways
             .Move 0, 0, Me.ScaleWidth, Me.ScaleHeight
             .ColAlignment(-1) = flexAlignCenterCenter

'the column header (3 seat blocks)
             For i = 2 To 10
                 .TextMatrix(0, i) = i - 1
             Next
             For i = 12 To 21
                 .TextMatrix(0, i) = i - 2
             Next
             For i = 23 To 31
                 .TextMatrix(0, i) = i - 3
             Next

'the row header
             For i = 2 To 18
                 .TextMatrix(i, 0) = Chr(64 + i - 1)
             Next

'the 6 pathways
            .FillStyle = flexFillRepeat
            .Row = 1
            .Col = 1
            .ColSel = .Cols - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen

.Row = .Rows - 1
            .Col = 1
            .ColSel = .Cols - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen

.Col = 1
            .Row = 1
            .RowSel = .Rows - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen

.Col = 11
            .Row = 1
            .RowSel = .Rows - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen

.Col = 22
            .Row = 1
            .RowSel = .Rows - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen

.Col = 32
            .Row = 1
            .RowSel = .Rows - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen
        End With
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Resize()
        With fg
             For i = 0 To .Cols - 1
                 .ColWidth(i) = Me.ScaleWidth / .Cols
             Next
             For i = 0 To .Rows - 1
                 .RowHeight(i) = Me.ScaleHeight / .Rows
             Next
        End With
    End Sub

Private Sub fg_MouseMove(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, x As Single, y As Single)
        With fg
             .Col = .MouseCol
             .Row = .MouseRow
        End With
        ShowSeatStatus
    End Sub

Private Sub fg_DblClick()
        With fg
             If .Row = 0 Or .Col = 0 Or .CellBackColor = vbGreen Then Exit Sub
             If .CellBackColor = vbRed Then
                'make seat available again (maybe ask for confirmation ?)
                .CellBackColor = vbWhite
             Else
                'make seat reserved (maybe ask for confirmation ?)
                .CellBackColor = vbRed
              End If
        End With
        ShowSeatStatus
    End Sub

Private Sub ShowSeatStatus()
        Dim TheCaption As String
        With fg
             Select Case .CellBackColor
                    Case vbGreen
                         .MousePointer = flexNoDrop
                         TheCaption = "Pathway"
                    Case Else
                         .MousePointer = flexDefault
                         If .Row = 0 Or .Col = 0 Then
                             TheCaption = "Header"
                         Else
                             TheCaption = "Seat " & .TextMatrix(.Row, 0) & "-" & .TextMatrix(0, .Col)
                                TheCaption = TheCaption & " Reserved"
                             Else
                                TheCaption = TheCaption & " Free"
                            End If
                         End If
             End Select
        End With
        Me.Caption = TheCaption
    End Sub
    not extensively tested and no attempt made to link to a database
    in fact, i do not clearly 'see' the database

thought i'd have a stab at designing a possible visible interface with a flexgrid
    fg is a flexgrid
    Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()
        Dim i As Integer
        With fg
             .Appearance = flexFlat

For i = 2 To 10
             Next
             For i = 12 To 21
             Next
             For i = 23 To 31
             Next

'the row header
             For i = 2 To 18
             Next

'the 6 pathways
            .Row = 1
            .Col = 1
            .ColSel = .Cols - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen

.Row = .Rows - 1
            .Col = 1
            .ColSel = .Cols - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen

.Col = 1
            .Row = 1
            .RowSel = .Rows - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen

.Col = 11
            .Row = 1
            .RowSel = .Rows - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen

.Col = 22
            .Row = 1
            .RowSel = .Rows - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen

.Col = 32
            .Row = 1
            .RowSel = .Rows - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen
        End With
    End Sub

With fg
             For i = 0 To .Cols - 1
             Next
             For i = 0 To .Rows - 1
             Next
        End With
    End Sub

Private Sub fg_MouseMove(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, x As Single, y As Single)
        With fg
             .Col = .MouseCol
             .Row = .MouseRow
        End With
        ShowSeatStatus
    End Sub

With fg
                .CellBackColor = vbWhite
             Else
                .CellBackColor = vbRed
              End If
        End With
        ShowSeatStatus
    End Sub

Dim TheCaption As String
        With fg
                    Case vbGreen
                         TheCaption = "Pathway"
                    Case Else
                             TheCaption = "Header"
                         Else
                             Else
                            End If
                         End If
             End Select
        End With
        Me.Caption = TheCaption
    End Sub
    not extensively tested and no attempt made to link to a database
    in fact, i do not clearly 'see' the database
    Hi

hope you don' mind, I added a few things.
    Function=SaveToFile and ReadFromFile
    when you doubleclick a cell it will add a simple "x"

just about ready to sell ticket's ;-)))

Code:
    Private Sub Command1_Click()
    Call SaveToFile("C:\ChristFlex.txt", fg, , ";")
    End Sub

Private Sub Command2_Click()
    Call ReadFromFile("C:\ChristFlex.txt", fg, , ";")
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
    Dim i As Integer
        With fg
             .Appearance = flexFlat

For i = 2 To 10
             Next
             For i = 12 To 21
             Next
             For i = 23 To 31
             Next

'the row header
             For i = 2 To 18
             Next

'the 6 pathways
            .Row = 1
            .Col = 1
            .ColSel = .Cols - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen

.Row = .Rows - 1
            .Col = 1
            .ColSel = .Cols - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen

.Col = 1
            .Row = 1
            .RowSel = .Rows - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen

.Col = 11
            .Row = 1
            .RowSel = .Rows - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen

.Col = 22
            .Row = 1
            .RowSel = .Rows - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen

.Col = 32
            .Row = 1
            .RowSel = .Rows - 1
            .CellBackColor = vbGreen
        End With
    End Sub

With fg
             For i = 0 To .Cols - 1
             Next
             For i = 0 To .Rows - 1
             Next
        End With
    End Sub

With fg
             .Col = .MouseCol
             .Row = .MouseRow
        End With
        ShowSeatStatus
    End Sub

With fg
                .CellBackColor = vbWhite
             Else
                .CellBackColor = vbRed

'Edit Chris : just added a X
                .Text = "x"

End If
        End With
        ShowSeatStatus
    End Sub

Dim TheCaption As String
        With fg
                    Case vbGreen
                         TheCaption = "Pathway"
                    Case Else
                             TheCaption = "Header"
                         Else
                             Else
                            End If
                         End If
             End Select
        End With
        Me.Caption = TheCaption
    End Sub

'Flexgrid in eine Datei schreiben
    Public Function SaveToFile(FileName As String, _
                               mFlex As MSFlexGrid, _
                               Optional RowDelimiter As String = vbCrLf, _
                               Optional ColDelimiter As String = vbTab) As Boolean

Dim Rows() As String, Cols() As String
       Dim i As Long, j As Long
       Dim FNr As Integer

On Error GoTo Fehler
          ReDim Rows(mFlex.Rows - 1)
          'ein Array füllen
          For i = 0 To UBound(Rows)
             'Spaltenwerte übernehmen
             ReDim Cols(mFlex.Cols - 1)
             For j = 0 To UBound(Cols)
                Cols(j) = mFlex.TextMatrix(i, j)
                'ggf Delimiter entfernen
                Cols(j) = Replace(Cols(j), ColDelimiter, Space(1))
                'CrLf ersetzen
                Cols(j) = Replace(Cols(j), vbCrLf, vbCr)
             Next
             'als Zeile übernehmen
             Rows(i) = Join(Cols, ColDelimiter)
             'ggf Delimiter entfernen
             Rows(i) = Replace(Rows(i), RowDelimiter, Space(1))
          Next
          FNr = FreeFile
          Open FileName For Output As #FNr
          Print #FNr, Join(Rows, vbCrLf);
          Close #FNr

SaveToFile = True
          On Error GoTo 0
          Exit Function
    Fehler:
          FehlerAnzeige Err.Number, Err.Description, "SaveToFile"
          On Error GoTo 0
    End Function
    'Flexgrid aus einer Datei füllen
    Public Function ReadFromFile(FileName As String, _
                                mFlex As MSFlexGrid, _
                                Optional RowDelimiter As String = vbCrLf, _
                                Optional ColDelimiter As String = vbTab) As Boolean

Dim Rows() As String, Cols() As String, s As String
       Dim i As Long, j As Long
       Dim FNr As Integer
          If Len(Dir(FileName)) = 0 Then
             MsgBox "Datei nicht gefunden", vbInformation, "ReadFromFile"
             Exit Function
          End If
          On Error GoTo Fehler
          'Datei binär komplett einlesen
          FNr = FreeFile
          Open FileName For Binary As #FNr
          s = Space(LOF(FNr))
          Get #FNr, , s
          Close #FNr
          'Datei prüfen
          If Len(s) = 0 Then
             s = Space(1)
          End If
          'in Zeilen zerlegen
          Rows() = Split(s, RowDelimiter)
          '1. Zeile splitten
          Cols() = Split(Rows(1), ColDelimiter)
          'Flexgrid herrichten
          i = mFlex.Rows + 1
          If i < mFlex.FixedRows + 1 Then
             i = mFlex.FixedRows + 1
          End If
          With mFlex
             .Redraw = True
             'verkleinern
             .Rows = i
             'Restinhalte löschen
             .Clear
             'dimensionieren
             i = UBound(Rows) + 1
             If i > .Rows Then
                .Rows = i
             End If
             j = UBound(Cols) + 1
             If j > .Cols Then
                .Cols = j
             End If
             'Flexgrid füllen
             For i = LBound(Rows) To UBound(Rows)
                'Zeile für Zeile
                Cols() = Split(Rows(i), ColDelimiter)
                For j = LBound(Cols) To UBound(Cols)
                   'ersetze Cr durch CrLf
                   .TextMatrix(i, j) = Replace(Cols(j), vbCr, vbCrLf)
                Next
             Next
             .Row = .FixedRows
             .Col = .FixedCols
             .Redraw = True
          End With
          ReadFromFile = True
          On Error GoTo 0
          Exit Function
    Fehler:
          FehlerAnzeige Err.Number, Err.Description, "ReadFromFile"
          On Error GoTo 0
    End Function

Public Sub FehlerAnzeige(ErrNumber As Long, ErrDescription As String, _
                             Optional Titel As String = "")

Dim Msg As String
          Msg = "Fehler " & ErrNumber & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                ErrDescription
          If Len(Titel) > 0 Then
             MsgBox Msg, vbCritical, Titel
          Else
             MsgBox Msg, vbCritical
          End If
    End Sub
    regards
    Chris

Frenzied Member

Hi
    hope you don' mind, I added a few things.
    you'r welcome

Hello friends,

My project is moving fast. I am thankful to all who have posted useful suggestions & guided me.

In the ticket booking page I need to filter data from access table named Movie_Time. I want to filter unique records which have Mov_Name (Data Field) equal to cboMovie.Text and txtDate.Value (Date Picker Value) between Week_StDate (Data Field) and Week_EnDate (Data Field)

I am running following code.

Code:
    Private Sub cboMovie_LostFocus()
    Dim Mov As New ADODB.Recordset
    Set Mov = New ADODB.Recordset
    Mov.Open "select * from Movie_Time where Mov_Name = " & cboMovie.Text & " and #" & Format(txtDate.Value, "MM/DD/YY") & "# between Week_StDate and Week_EnDate ", CN, adOpenDynamic, adLockPessimistic
    Mov.MoveFirst
    While Mov.EOF = False
        cboTime.AddItem (Mov.Fields("Mov_Time"))
        Mov.MoveNext
    Wend
    Mov.MoveFirst
    cboScreen.AddItem (Mov.Fields("Screen"))
    cboScreen.Text = Mov.Fields("Screen")
    Mov.Close

End Sub
    I am getting following error message

Name:  Error Message.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  32.5 KB

Help me.

Thanks,

Dharmesh Joshi

Hi,

it is probably the Date(s)

here a sample how to pass Dates with Between

Code:
    Dim d As Date, d1 As Date
       Dim s As String, s1 As String
       Dim sSQL As String

d = CDate("01.09.2017")
          d1 = CDate("11.09.2017")

s = Format(d, "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#")
          s1 = Format(d1, "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#")

sSQL = "Select * From Table1 Where myDate Between " & s & " And " & s1 & ";"
          Debug.Print sSQL

Edit:
    I just see you are using the Data Picker
    change to this
    Code:
     s = Format(DTPicker1.Value, "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#")
          s1 = Format(DTPicker2.Value, "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#")
    regards
    Chris
    Last edited by ChrisE; Sep 11th, 2017 at 07:26 AM.

I'm going to go with the Movie Name:
    Code:
     "select * from Movie_Time where Mov_Name = " & cboMovie.Text & " and #" & Format(txtDate.Value, "MM/DD/YY") & "# between Week_StDate and Week_EnDate ", CN, adOpenDynamic, adLockPessimistic
    You can't just throw text in the middle of a SQL statement... let's say you're looking for a movie called The Young Ones....
    your SQL would look like this:
    Code:
    select * from Movie_Time where Mov_Name = The Young Ones and #09/11/2017# between Week_StDate and Week_EnDate
    Problem is that it would see "the" as a field name and Young Ones as a possible parameter, or at least as something it doesn't recognize.
    Just like the Dates you need to mark it as text with single quote marks:
    Code:
     "select * from Movie_Time where Mov_Name = '" & cboMovie.Text & "' and #" & Format(txtDate.Value, "MM/DD/YY") & "# between Week_StDate and Week_EnDate ", CN, adOpenDynamic, adLockPessimistic
    Code:
    select * from Movie_Time where Mov_Name = 'The Young Ones' and #09/11/2017# between Week_StDate and Week_EnDate
    Even better would be to use parameters but I'm too tired at the moment and I haven't had my coffee yet.

-tg

Hi tg

had a good laugh
    Code:
    Even better would be to use parameters but I'm too tired at the moment and I haven't had my coffee yet.

-tg
    what Time is it ? in Germany it's just about 3 in the afternoon

regards
    Chris

It was about 8:30 am when I wrote that... I'm not a morning person... we've got a new puppy, and dealing with what's left of hurricane Irma (which really isn't much). Kids were asleep in the living room, so I was trying to be quiet which meant not making noise in the kitchen. If I had my druthers, I'd go back to bed. Office is closed, but since we're able to work from home... as long as there's power... well... we're expected to bill.... sigh...

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    It was about 8:30 am when I wrote that... I'm not a morning person... we've got a new puppy, and dealing with what's left of hurricane Irma (which really isn't much). Kids were asleep in the living room, so I was trying to be quiet which meant not making noise in the kitchen. If I had my druthers, I'd go back to bed. Office is closed, but since we're able to work from home... as long as there's power... well... we're expected to bill.... sigh...

-tg
    hope Irma didn't cause to much damage and everbody is well. I lived as a child 4-5 Year's in Hutchinson Kansas and I can
    remember the Tornados well. They can be devastating.

regards
    Chris

hope Irma didn't cause to much damage and everbody is well. I lived as a child 4-5 Year's in Hutchinson Kansas and I can
    remember the Tornados well. They can be devastating.

regards
    Chris
    I'm in Charleston, SC... originally we were supposed to be hit head-on... fortunately for us, it delayed that turn to to the north and hit Florida instead. we had three evacuation plans depending on how bad things got. Instead we're riding it out. Luckily we're high enough elevation flooding shouldn't be an issue. We survived the 1,000 year flood two years ago and Mathew last year, so we'll be OK after Irma too. I'm hoping the power goes out. I just want an excuse to use my new generator.
    Prior to this, I lived 13 years just outside Omaha, Nebraska... I've seen the tornadoes first hand. After experiencing those and hurricanes... I can without doubt say I'm not emotionally or mentally capable of handling them well. I'd rather deal with the earthquakes I grew up with. At least when they happen, they are over and done in matter of seconds, often before you realize what's happening. And if your house does fall, your stuff is still there in a pile, not strewn into the next county.

-tg

I've seen the tornadoes first hand. After experiencing those and hurricanes... I can without doubt say I'm not emotionally or mentally capable of handling them well
    yes, same here.

they neighbours thought it was funny(crazy German the said) that my Dad(typical German) built a stone House, within the basement was a stormshelter with TV,fridge etc... for 5-8 people.
    Well it was always full of neighbours when a BIG Tornado was coming.

Frenzied Member

back on topic:
    probably it is just me, but:
    i simply can not see what the code put here by joshidharmesh101
    has to do with reserving (or selling), a specific seat for a specific screen for a specific timeperiod

the best i can make of it, is an attempt to assign a specific movie to a specific screen for a specific timeperiod
    and even so i am rather confused by some fields such as:
    Fields("Cls") ? , a field to clear the screen ?
    Fields("Price") , is the price dependent on the movie ? or the screen ? or the combination movie_screen ? or the combination movie_screen_time ? or what ?
    Fields("Week_StDate") ?
    Fields("Week_EnDate") ?
    is the combination movie_screen always fixed for an entire week ?

@joshidharmesh101 , maybe put your database here (could maybe make things a bit clearer)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast