Thread: Debug Big Solution

Debug Big Solution

Hello

Need some help/tips how to debug a big project.

I have a solution with more that 180 projects inside, with several dependencies between them, so every time i change something in one of the projects and i try to debug, i face two problems:
    1 - If i didn't build the project and try to Debug i get the "no symbols loaded" for the page where i changed the code
    2 - If i try to build the project, if it's a project with several dependencies it will take too much time to build (several minutes), and all of them have several dependencies

In the first case, i though that i can attach a process, but after trying to attach several processes w3,ie, the debugger doesnt stop in the breakpoints, don't know if this works this way, or if i'm attaching the wrong processes...
    In the second case, i don't have another option, just wait...

So what should i do to speed up my work? Or what are the common practices to handle this kind of situations/projects?
    It doesn't make sense that i have to build the project every time that i need to test some changes in the code...

Thanks

Rate People That Helped You
    Mark Thread Resolved When Resolved

Re: Debug Big Solution

Solution: Smaller solution. Seriously. Just create a new solution that has just the projects you need. That's what I do when I get solutions with more than 50 or so projects in it. I'll create a new Solution with just the 4 or 5 that I really need. That way I'm not having to rebuild the entire Empire State Building when I remodel an office. Also, if you use the Build option (Ctlr+Shift+B) it should only be building projects that actually changed, and skip over any that didn't.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Re: Debug Big Solution

@techgnome
    Thanks for the reply

But that isn't an option, at least at this moment, I just entered the "project", and it's all new to me...

And sorry, i wrote build, but build doesn't do the trick, like you said, if it didn't changed nothing happens, I need to rebuild, so everything this attached get built... And it takes forever...

Is this the only way to get my break points back?

It's weird, if i build (yes it's correct), the project where i made the changes, if i look into the bin folder i can see the new DLL and the related PDB file with the same date and time, so the files are updated correctly, why they don't work when debugging?

Thanks
    Last edited by mickey_pt; Aug 30th, 2017 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Extra chars

Rate People That Helped You
    Mark Thread Resolved When Resolved