Thread: I want to rate your posts

I want to rate your posts

Hi to all,
    As a newbie to vb.net, I have had some of my code worries addressed in this forum(kudos to you all out there). however some questions I asked are hardly ever responded to. I have the impression that this has to do with awarding points to the various responses I get.
    Can some one explain briefly what I may be missing.
    Cheers to all.

Re: I want to rate your posts

It has nothing to do with awarding points.
    There could be a number of reasons. Posts could be in the wrong place (like this one is)... it could be that it is about a topic that is so odd ball no one know how to respond to it. It could be the question itself. Did you provide the right info? Just because a post goes unanswered isn't necesarily a bad thing. In all the years I've been on here, I've problably asked less than a dozen questions... only about 2 or 3 actually get any replies. It's not personal, it just means that the problems I run into are often unique enough that no one here has really run into the same thing, or that the problem is specific to my domain that I'm dealing with.

I personally don't recognize your username, so I'm not sure I've come across any of your posts... why? Dunno. Name like that though, I'd think I'd remember it. I'll have to go look.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I just had a look at the threads you've started. I can see that there are three that may not have got the response you expected. One deals with buttons in a DataGridView, another with iTextSharp and another with tables in a RichTextBox. They are all subjects that I have no real experience with so, unless I'm inclined to take the time to familiarise myself with them first, I'm not likely to respond.

I'd be very surprised if anyone refrained from answering a question because they thought that they weren't going to get rep or a sufficient amount of rep. Personally, I answer questions based on subject alone. I generally don't even look to see who posted them. There are some people whom I've added to my Ignore list that I generally don't answer because I've had particularly bad experiences with them in the past but, if it's an interesting topic, I'll sometimes even answer those.

I don't think it has anything to do with points. I personally don't even look at them. If you want to hear crickets ask a question that involves VB .Net on a Citrix platform

But if you are really concerned; hedge your bets and rate posts.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Aug 22nd, 2017 at 06:02 AM.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

I would agree that it has nothing to do with rating. I'd say that most people don't rate, or rate inconsistently, so if that was a reason, then there wouldn't be very many answers. Furthermore, a rating doesn't count until you have 10 posts, so anybody new to the forum wouldn't be getting any answers if people cared about ratings, since the ratings they gave wouldn't count.

You've asked some mainstream questions that got answered pretty quickly. You've also asked some questions that I, personally, have zero knowledge about, such as the one concerning grids in RTBs. That's a good question, but a mighty obscure one. You are counting on the right people seeing the post, so when you ask a question about something obscure, you may or may not ask at the right time for the few people who have the knowledge you are looking for to be present (I'm not sure that sentence is any good). If the right people see the thread, you get a good answer...otherwise you don't. If you ask a mainstream question, that pool of "right" people is quite large. The more obscure the question, the smaller the pool of people who can give you a good answer.

I've had questions that went unanswered for several days...then suddenly got a series of answers. It's just what happens. Might be an interesting study in there, but it would be mighty hard to do effectively.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

And, when your post has gone unanswered after a day or so - reply to it with "Hey Guys - I sure could use some help on this."

Doing that will bump it back to the top.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

Great, I am now clarified.
    Sorry I was out of town.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    And, when your post has gone unanswered after a day or so - reply to it with "Hey Guys - I sure could use some help on this."

Doing that will bump it back to the top.

Actually - don't just bump a post. If it is has gone unanswered, then something about the post might not be clear. If you need to bump it, add more details or information to try to clarify what you are asking. Just bumping it will likely result in it going unanswered again, or worse, with you getting comments about bumping a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    Actually - don't just bump a post. If it is has gone unanswered, then something about the post might not be clear. If you need to bump it, add more details or information to try to clarify what you are asking. Just bumping it will likely result in it going unanswered again, or worse, with you getting comments about bumping a thread.
    Glad you posted that. I was confused by Steve saying bumping was OK.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!