Thread: Can't find any single video on how to create databases and register/login please help

Can't find any single video on how to create databases and register/login please help

Hey guys. I still cant make the program, i have tried endless times. Do you have any codes/videos to give me to how to create a database and register and login that actually works?! Please HELP, I NEED IT!!!!

Re: Can't find any single video on how to create databases and register/login please

First what database kind you want to use?

Access
    SQL
    MySQL
    Other?

Once you chouse one of the above, Create a table to store the users, and stablish a connectio from your app to the database.

Re: Can't find any single video on how to create databases and register/login please

Those who works on others computers. AKA they save to other peoples computers.

Example: PC1 types username: Kakarino, PC2 cant register with that one. And so it doesnt show any errrors, i have used acess, but probably the code was wrong and thats why it failed. Any, i will be happy to try any THAT Works! So i can see information, if something goes out and leaks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Storm View Post
    If this works, ill be so happy THANKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DagsPlayz View Post
    Those who works on others computers. AKA they save to other peoples computers.

Example: PC1 types username: Kakarino, PC2 cant register with that one. And so it doesnt show any errrors, i have used acess, but probably the code was wrong and thats why it failed. Any, i will be happy to try any THAT Works! So i can see information, if something goes out and leaks
    How do you make it, so the database connects to your register system???

You don't want to know.

Hmm. I hate to be a grouchy old man, but if this is your first project you're jumping in pretty deep, and not getting very thorough answers.

If you want EVERY instance of your program to have a concept of registered users, you need to have a database on some server instance that EVERYONE can see. Current popular hosting options for that include Amazon's cloud offerings or Azure, though if you already have some hosting that allows you to run applications you could use that. But you're not going to get very far just running a random instance of some SQL server on your machine.

That said, if you can't get this working for just one machine with a local text file, it's not just "diving into the deep end" but more like "jumping into the ocean with cement shoes". Managing and configuring an instance of a database on public hosting is a major undertaking, so it's best to make sure you can tackle your client end of the problem before doing it.

If you're at the, "I'm watching YouTube videos because someone out there has code I can copy/paste to do this" phase of your journey, I'd wager you're about 2-3 months from completing this project. That will remain true if you buy some books or follow a good tutorial series. If you laugh, point to YouTube, and keep going, then 6-8 months.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

As "Sitten Spynne" said you in for a ride... i have no ideia what your goal is, what kind of application you intend to do, what final function will have...

But any way, is not you database that connecs to you app, its your app that needs to connect to you database.
    i dont know why you would need to have a application that alows a user to register unless is something based on web, insted of having a admin creating the login for the user.

Unless you can explain a litle better what you intend to do, i boubt if you will get a better help.
    As for the coding, from the experience i have had here, anyone will be more then happy to help you solve any problem you may encounter, but you actualy need to do the codding...
    Build a application based on copy paste code from the net.... wont be easy....
    Last edited by Mike Storm; Aug 18th, 2017 at 01:57 PM.

As the others have mentioned, it's a bigger issue than it first seems.
    First in order for you to see all of the registered users, the database has to be in ONE CENTRAL location where EVERYONE can see it, including you. This usually means it needs to be visible on a network, now whether that is a small internal LAN network, or a big network like the WWW....that's up to you. If it's the WWW, then it comes with a bigger set of issue. Mostly security. because if you app can access it directly, that means ANYONE can do so. Most decent hosts will want it behind a firewall, which means it can't be accessed directly, and that involves an additional layer of some sort that acts as a go-between (usually referred to as a web api or a web service). OF course you'll want to restrict access to those as well, which means another layer of security as well.
    But then again. we don't know what your needs are specifically, what you can / can't do, what do/don't know or what your app is supposed to do.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I suppose that you could have a web service set up to expose the login/registration verification functionality to a bunch of different computers, but this means a web host and that database host that Sitten mentioned.

If this is for a web application, then a single login system makes sense. Technically, you wouldn't even need a database, but every other solution will become terrible if the number of users gets far above 100. If you expect a larger number of users, then a database is pretty much the only way to go. If you aren't talking about a web app, then the only way you can have unique users across several computers is if the computers are all part of the same LAN, in which case you can have a single instance of SQL Server Express (cheaper than the full thing, and it will do) running on one of the computers on the LAN. Of course, the web service validation I mentioned earlier would work for computers not on the same LAN, but it would require a web host just like a web app, so it's really just BOTH a web app and a non-web app kind of solution.

We'd need to know more about how this is intended to be used.

EDIT: Bummer, TG slipped in there and said pretty much everything I said. So, all I am is a second opinion....or a second fiddle....or a second opinionated fiddler.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Storm View Post
    As "Sitten Spynne" said you in for a ride... i have no ideia what your goal is, what kind of application you intend to do, what final function will have...

But any way, is not you database that connecs to you app, its your app that needs to connect to you database.
    i dont know why you would need to have a application that alows a user to register unless is something based on web, insted of having a admin creating the login for the user.

Unless you can explain a litle better what you intend to do, i boubt if you will get a better help.
    As for the coding, from the experience i have had here, anyone will be more then happy to help you solve any problem you may encounter, but you actualy need to do the codding...
    Build a application based on copy paste code from the net.... wont be easy....
    I want to build an anti virus program. I know coding kind of, like im average at it. But i just dont understand like the database connections and stuff. I need it used for premium plans, and beta programs and stuff.

One person doesn't write an anti virus program, these days. It's not worth it. Malware is mutating at such a frantic rate that, if you don't have a team constantly studying new viruses as they emerge, all you will end up with is worse than nothing at all. It is worse simply because it might give the impression of doing something, but it will be out of date almost immediately, at which point it becomes fake security.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    One person doesn't write an anti virus program, these days. It's not worth it. Malware is mutating at such a frantic rate that, if you don't have a team constantly studying new viruses as they emerge, all you will end up with is worse than nothing at all. It is worse simply because it might give the impression of doing something, but it will be out of date almost immediately, at which point it becomes fake security.
    So, basically these days there are no way to make an antivirus program. And there are NO ways to create a login thingy? Because i would pay to get a program that login and register and it sends to database. I need to make some money. Have you have any other ideas how you can do so thru a program?

I want to build an anti virus program. I know coding kind of, like im average at it. But i just dont understand like the database connections and stuff. I need it used for premium plans, and beta programs and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Well, that aside... then you need to learn to walk before you can run... but the bottom line is that you'll need a database on a server somewhere that people registering their app can connect to so their info can be stored. And that goes back to what I was talking about when having something visible on the web... you don't want it wide open... you want it hiding behind a firewall somewhere... and that means then to access it, you'll need to build a WebAPI or a Web Service of some kind. Odds are you'll be using SQL Server or MySQL or Oracle, certainly not Access though.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

A Anti-Virus?

You would need not only to know how to connect to a database, that is the least of your problems, but also to have a very good and i mean GOOD knowlege of OS's, some pretty complicated stuff...

You don't want to know.

You have high aspirations, that's admirable! But this is not a very good starter project.

It's like saying, "I'm interested in aviation, I want to build a space shuttle!" It would be stupid of me to say, "You'll never build one." But it is appropriate to say, "That is a very complex undertaking, I don't know if it's a good idea for an early project."

We talk about programming in terms of "man-hours" sometimes. If 1 person works for 1 hours, that's a "man-hour". If 2 people work for 1 hour, that's "2 man-hours". It is generally true that it takes the same amount of man-hours to produce software for different-sized teams, with a lot of error in that estimate.

Most antivirus software was written by dozens of security experts over the course of many months. They had a lot of expertise before they even started. So for one person to try and keep up, it's reasonable to expect you'll spend at least a couple of years before you have anything nearing their level of sophistication. But that assumes you START with all the knowlede they had. You probably don't have that expertise, so it'll take longer!

What you said is true: you can probably find some component that helps you with user registration or setup. But that's a silly thing to start on. First, you should write something people want to pay for. What good is a login/subscription system if you don't have anything to sell?

If you're hosting a login/registration/payment system, you're paying for it every month. My hosting plan is $8.50 monthly. If you do that part first, you'll be losing money every month while you try to write the product. It's smarter to write the product, then do the registration part, so you spend the least time losing money.

Here's my specific advice.

Especially if you have a smartphone, you should consider learning to write mobile applications instead. It doesn't matter if you pick iOS or Android, just use whatever you have. Smartphone apps tend to be small-scale and low-risk. The app stores for each vendor already have subscription/payment systems built in. You'll have a very, very wide audience.

When it comes to Windows applications, there is an app store, but it only supports Windows 10 applications. You can learn that if you want, and those do run on Windows 10 mobile devices. But there's scant few of those and people are more apt to avoid Windows when shopping for tablets.

If you go with Windows Forms, you have to either write licensing/login/subscription yourself or pay someone else to do it for you. The market for desktop apps is dwindling outside of enterprises, and if you're writing for an enterprise you already have a paycheck so you aren't worried about subscriptions!
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Hi Dagz,

here a sample (very simple!!)
    it creates an Access Database , and then a Table.

as I said very simple here the code...

Code:
    Imports System.Data.OleDb

Public Class Form1

'you need to add a reference to
        'Verweise ' <---sory don't the englisch name
        '----Com
        '------ Microsoft ADO Ext.2.8 for DDL and Security
        Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

End Sub

Public Function CreateDatabase(ByVal MDBName As String, _
                                          Optional ByVal Password As String = Nothing, _
                                          Optional ByVal EngineType As Int32 = 5, _
                                          Optional ByVal ErrMessage As String = Nothing) As Boolean

Dim Sw As New System.IO.StringWriter

Sw.Write("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;")
            Sw.Write("Jet OLEDB:Engine Type = {0};", EngineType.ToString)
            Sw.WriteLine("Data Source={0}", MDBName)
            If Not Password = Nothing Then
                Sw.Write(";Jet OLEDB:Database Password={0}", Password)
            End If

Try
                Dim Cat As New ADOX.Catalog
                Cat.Create(Sw.ToString)
                Dim Msg As String = "Fehler bei Freigabe ADOX.Cat"
                If Not ReleaseComObject(Cat.ActiveConnection) Then
                    ErrMessage = Msg
                    Return False
                ElseIf Not ReleaseComObject(Cat) Then
                    ErrMessage = Msg
                    Return False
                End If
                Return True

Catch ex As Exception
                ErrMessage = ex.Message
                Return False
            End Try

Return True
        End Function

Private Function ReleaseComObject(ByVal objCom As Object) As Boolean
            Dim Result As Integer = 0
            For i As Integer = 0 To 9
                Result = Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.FinalReleaseComObject(objCom)
                If Result = 0 Then
                    Return True
                End If
                System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(0)
                Application.DoEvents()
            Next
            Return False
        End Function

Public Function ExecuteSQL(ByVal Con As OleDb.OleDbConnection, _
                                         ByVal sSQL As String, _
                                         Optional ByRef ErrMessage As String = Nothing, _
                                         Optional ByVal TransAction As  _
                                         OleDb.OleDbTransaction = Nothing) As Integer
            ErrMessage = Nothing
            Try
                Dim Result As Integer = 0
                Using Cmd As New OleDb.OleDbCommand(sSQL, Con, TransAction)
                    Result = Cmd.ExecuteNonQuery
                End Using
                Return Result
            Catch ex As Exception
                ErrMessage = ex.Message
                Return 0
            End Try
        End Function

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            'like the name says create you Database
            CreateDatabase("C:\MyfirstDB.mdb", , 5, )
        End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            Dim sSQL As String
            Dim con As OleDbConnection = New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;data source=C:\MyfirstDB.mdb")
            'here you create you Table in the Database
            sSQL = sSQL & "  Create Table MyFirstTable"
            sSQL = sSQL & "( [LD_ID] Integer Identity"
            sSQL = sSQL & ", [LD_LfdNummer] Integer"
            sSQL = sSQL & ", [LD_LS_ID] Integer"
            sSQL = sSQL & ", [LD_PositionsDate] DateTime"
            sSQL = sSQL & ", [LD_Colli] Integer"
            sSQL = sSQL & ", [LD_Verpackung] varChar(20) Null"
            sSQL = sSQL & ", [LD_Kg] Double"
            sSQL = sSQL & ", [LD_Cbm] Double"
            sSQL = sSQL & ", [LD_Ldm] Double"
            sSQL = sSQL & ", [LD_Lang] Integer"