Thread: [RESOLVED] Where do the string.username and string.password save to?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Where do the string.username and string.password save to?

So I need to know, where do all the string.username and string.password save to. I need like a lil database where i can check all the usernames and all the passwords.
    The strings: https://gyazo.com/3b651ea429d098f64dd744edd218de7a

The code:
    Option Strict On
    Option Explicit On

Public Class Form1
    Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    If My.Settings.UserName Is Nothing Then
    My.Settings.UserName = New Specialized.StringCollection
    End If
    If My.Settings.Password Is Nothing Then
    My.Settings.Password = New Specialized.StringCollection
    End If
    End Sub

' Register
    Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
    If My.Settings.UserName.Contains(TextBox1.Text) Then
    MessageBox.Show(Me, "Username taken", My.Application.Info.Title, MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information)
    Else
    My.Settings.UserName.Add(TextBox1.Text)
    My.Settings.Password.Add(TextBox2.Text)
    My.Settings.Save()
    MessageBox.Show(Me, "Succesfully Registered!", My.Application.Info.Title, MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information)
    End If
    End Sub

' Log in
    Private Sub Button2_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
    Dim blnOK As Boolean

For j = 0 To My.Settings.UserName.Count - 1
    If TextBox1.Text = My.Settings.UserName(j) AndAlso TextBox2.Text = My.Settings.Password(j) Then
    blnOK = True
    Exit For
    End If
    Next

If blnOK Then
    MessageBox.Show(Me, "Succesfully loged in!", My.Application.Info.Title, MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information)
    Else
    MessageBox.Show(Me, "Username or Password is incorrect!", My.Application.Info.Title, MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information)
    End If

End Sub
    End Class

Re: Where do the string.username and string.password save to?

Settings are stored in the config file. Settings with Application scope are read only and stored in the main config file, which you'll see in the Solution Explorer as App.config or Web.config, depending on the type of application. After building, the App.config file will be named after your program's EXE file and be stored in the same folder. Settings with User scope are read/write and have their default values stored in the main config file. Their current values will be stored on a per-user basis under each user's personal folder. "User" in this content means Windows user.

If you're going to use a database, which you generally would for something like this, then you can choose from a myriad of options. If you have Access installed, you could use an MDB or ACCDB file created in Access. You might also install SQL Server Express or just its LocalDB component and use a SQL Serve MDF data file. That will require all users of the app to have SQL Server Express installed. The other main alternative for a small-scale application is SQLite, which is a third-party product but what Microsoft recommend for file-based databases these days.

Regardless of which database you choose, the data access part will be basically the same. The types you use will come from different assemblies and/or namespaces, e.g. SqlClient for SQL Server or OleDb for Access, but the way you use them will be exactly the same. As a result, any ADO.NET information is relevant, even if it's for a different database.