Thread: Need help with updating a vb.net app

Need help with updating a vb.net app

Good afternoon,

I have a client who is using what appears to be a vb.net app that is bound to an access database. The vb app provides a user interface for users as well as it is used to print invoices. The original developer hard coded the payment remittance address. My client would like to update this because the remittance address as changed.

Here's where I am stuck, I don't know how to determine which version of vb.net that was used to developed the form initially. I am sure all that is needed is for the vb.code files to be recompiled after the address has been changed.

Any and all suggestions we be appreciated!!

Thanks

PowerPoster

Re: Need help with updating a vb.net app

If it is VB.Net then you will have a .sln file

Open that with notepad and have a look

Here is an example of the first two lines in that file from one of my projects
    Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 10.00
    # Visual Studio 2008
    If you do not have a .sln file then look for a .vbp or .mak file and if present open it with notepad and have a look at the first few lines of text
    If none of these are present then either the code is incomplete or it is not vb

Post Re: Need help with updating a vb.net app

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    If it is VB.Net then you will have a .sln file

Open that with notepad and have a look

Here is an example of the first two lines in that file from one of my projects

If you do not have a .sln file then look for a .vbp or .mak file and if present open it with notepad and have a look at the first few lines of text
    If none of these are present then either the code is incomplete or it is not vb
    OK, what should I do then if it is complete or a vb?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by stevenplee View Post
    Not sure what you are asking there?
    I assume you want to open it with the proper version of VB, make the required change and rebuild

If it is not VB then you will not be able to do it with VB

If it is incomplete then you will need to rest of the code files.

So you are saying, The version information will be present in one of the files you referenced? The client doesn't know what version was used initially.

Do you have the source files? IF so... open it in Visual Studio. The version really won't matter. Starting with VS2010, the IDE became backwards compatible with the different version formats. So VS2015 can read a project/solution from VS2010 w/o any issue. If it's from a version prior to VS2010, it'll go through a one-time upgrade, which really affects the sln or vbprj and not the code files.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by stevenplee View Post
    When you say a "vb" .. do you mean VB6 (as opposed to VB.NET)?

Spoo

Thanks Techgnome.

I was going try that. Although, I am concern that I may break the connection to the underlying database.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I want to be very cautious with updating anything to do with this application. The client relies on this to do invoicing.

PowerPoster

Well. First thing you should do is make a backup copy of the code and the exe along with any other working files.

You should also make a copy of the code for editing. You then should look for those files I mentioned and see what is there.
    That should tell you or at least give you a pretty good idea as to what tool and version was used to build it.

Again make sure to backup the code, the exe and any other required files before you make any changes.

If it is just a hard coded address that needs to change then it should be simple to do.