Thread: "Edit and Continue" while Debugging and Running application in VS 2008

"Edit and Continue" while Debugging and Running application in VS 2008

Hello All !! I want "edit and continue" option to work in my visual studio 2008 , so that i could able to modify or edit application while running and debugging them. Because this process eat lots of time while working on application , and for every single change , i have to close the debugging or running process to make changes. I have done a hell lot of research on this topic on internet but nothing seems quite working. .Please Help me to tackle this problem if you have any "Upright" solution .

Thanks

Addicted Member

Re: "Edit and Continue" while Debugging and Running application in VS 2008

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpete View Post
    Yes it is enabled already under the "Tools" - Options- Debugging- Edit/Continue Option.. but its not working

Addicted Member

Have a read of this, it might help.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-been-attached

Have a read of this, it might help.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-been-attached
    Already checked that link Dear ..Not working !! please post a valid answer instead of referring links , if you have one !!
    Last edited by sunilchand; Aug 10th, 2017 at 06:28 AM.

Addicted Member

I am not a mind reader or your personel search monkey. Perhaps consider updating to later version, why are you still using an out of date product?

I am not a mind reader or your personel search monkey. Perhaps consider updating to later version, why are you still using an out of date product?
    Ahh ok.. Not allowed in a firm where i am working !! May be licence issue !! so have to find a way though ! Lets see
    Last edited by sunilchand; Aug 10th, 2017 at 07:13 AM.

You don't want to know.

You're not working on an AnyCPU or x64 application, are you? It took Microsoft something like 5 years to implement Edit and Continue for x64 code. The default in 2008 was AnyCPU, and if you're on a computer newer than 12 years old it's probably x64. Later MS changed the default to x86 because they figure if they ignore it, it will go away.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitten Spynne View Post
    You're not working on an AnyCPU or x64 application, are you? It took Microsoft something like 5 years to implement Edit and Continue for x64 code. The default in 2008 was AnyCPU, and if you're on a computer newer than 12 years old it's probably x64. Later MS changed the default to x86 because they figure if they ignore it, it will go away.
    Not clearly understanding what you are saying, but it shows following messages "Changes to 64-bit applications are not allowed"(when break point is inserted in the code) and "Cannot currently modify this text in the editor.It is read only"(when break point isn't inserted) , while running application. I have already mentioned that i have already enabled "Edit and continue" option by navigating through Tools-Options-Debugging-Edit and continue. but that doesn't work and it show aforementioned errors while doing so !

Addicted Member

If this was true
    I have done a hell lot of research on this topic on internet but nothing seems quite working
    you would have seen the reasoning behind 'Sitten Spynne' reply.

You don't want to know.

It doesn't matter if the option is turned on. "Changes to 64-bit applications are not allowed" means you cannot use the feature. It's like trying to start a car when there's no gas in the tank. It doesn't work.

Look in your project properties. The target platform is probably 'x64' or 'AnyCPU'. You can probably use Edit and Continue if you change it to 'x86'.

Personally I've always found Edit and Continue leads to strange and spectacular bugs that can only happen when bad state from 5 or 6 intermediate efforts accumulate. It's better to have a good suite of unit tests.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.