Thread: "Change Hue" fails on many colors

PowerPoster

"Change Hue" fails on many colors

As only a casual plinker when it comes to graphics programming many things elude me. Color spaces are something I don't have my head around.

I was toying with some code to re-color bitmaps to be used as parts of user interfaces, basically small icons. I thought that simply changing "hue" would be 95% of the job. Sadly though I had an easy success with my first attempt I quickly realized I am off in the weeds somewhere.

In this sample Project I can change the target bitmap hue from original RED... to BLUE or to GREEN or back to RED, or even to CYAN... but the other colors all give me a RED result:

Name:  sshot.png
Views: 1279
Size:  1.8 KB

There may just be a glaring coding error that I can't see, or I may have a complete misunderstanding of color spaces.

The program works by (1.) converting a new color from RGB to HSV components, then (2.) changing every pixel from RGB to HSV, then back to RGB swapping in the new hue value.

Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Frenzied Member

Re: "Change Hue" fails on many colors

What happens when you use the API functions?: ColorRGBToHLS and ColorHLSToRGB

And why not use those, anyway?
    If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there...

My VB6 love-children: Vee-Hive and Vee-Launcher

Frenzied Member

Also - and i haven't scrutinised your code - be aware that if you've cobbled this together from a variety of sources, some implementations will wrap around the 'colour circle' at 360*, whilst others may do so at another angle, e.g. Red would typically be at 360* but I've seen code where it is elsewhere. Daresay Tanner will be able to tell you the why's and the wherefore's...

Frenzied Member

If anybody is interested, I wrote a ColourPicker recently. It uses vbRichClient but I guess it could be adapted to not have that dependency if anybody is so-inclined. Shout here and I'll put it in the Codebank...
    Name:  ColourPicker.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  56.3 KB

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by ColinE66 View Post
    If anybody is interested, I wrote a ColourPicker recently. It uses vbRichClient but I guess it could be adapted to not have that dependency if anybody is so-inclined. Shout here and I'll put it in the Codebank...
    I like it, and it's always good to have vbRichClient alternatives in the codebank. Please do
    Carlos

PowerPoster

I did that and got even weirder results. For example white turned black for no obvious reason.

Here's a hacked version that tries to fix that oddity, but it still doesn't work right because GRAY gives me BLUE.

Code:
            GetDIBits .hDC, .Image.Handle, 0, HeightPx, Triples(0), bmi, DIB_RGB_COLORS
            For Line = 0 To (HeightPx - 1) * Stride Step Stride
                For Pixel = Line To Line + (WidthPx - 1) * 3 Step 3
                    clrRGB = CLng(Triples(Pixel + 2)) _
                          Or CLng(Triples(Pixel + 1)) * &H100& _
                          Or CLng(Triples(Pixel)) * &H10000
                    ColorRGBToHLS clrRGB, Hue, Luminance, Saturation
                    clrRGB = ColorHLSToRGB(NewHue, Luminance, Saturation)
                    'Hack... Correct erroneous black to white:
                    If clrRGB = 0 And Luminance = 240 And Saturation = 0 Then clrRGB = &HFFFFFF
                    Triples(Pixel + 2) = CByte(clrRGB And &HFF&)
                    Triples(Pixel + 1) = CByte((clrRGB And &HFF00&) \ &H100&)
                    Triples(Pixel) = CByte((clrRGB And &HFF0000) \ &H10000)
                Next
            Next
            SetDIBits .hDC, .Image.Handle, 0, HeightPx, Triples(0), bmi, DIB_RGB_COLORS

Shout here and I'll put it in the Codebank...
    I'll second-shout that .. as long as you spell ColorPicker properly ,,

Spoo

Frenzied Member

Gray does not exist on the colour circle. All grays exhibit the absence of a hue; rather, they are degrees of saturation of white, I believe (dredging this up from recent memory but that aint so good, these days!)

Anyway, I believe it shows blue because the ColorHLSToRGB algo attempts to find the nearest match in terms of RGB (there are more RGB combinations than there are HLS, incidentally, so there are other conversions that end up being a little 'off'), and defaults to blue in that one single case. I experienced the same thing in my ColourPicker, too. Anyway, I ended up handling the grays as exceptions and just made sure that the RGB values were equal, IIRC.

I'll post my ColourPicker into the Codebank and you can take a look at it - obviously ignoring the vbRichClient5 reference, which I'm pretty sure you won't have

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spooman View Post
    I'll second-shout that .. as long as you spell ColorPicker properly ,,

Spoo

Fanatic Member

@dilettante: I believe there is a typo in your Rgb2Hsv function. Line 73 says:

Code:
    Hue = ((G - B) * HUE_DEGREE) \ Delta
    Change it to this and it should work:

Code:
    Hue = ((G - B) * 60& * HUE_DEGREE) \ Delta
    As Colin says, gray still won't work with this method as "gray" has an undefined hue. (When saturation = 0, there is no way to calculate a corresponding hue.)

You could work around it by specially detecting the "If (originalSaturation = 0)" case and manually enforcing a new saturation of 0 in the new pixels - not particularly elegant, but that's the only real workaround in an HSV space...
    Check out PhotoDemon, a pro-grade photo editor written completely in VB6. (Full source available at GitHub.)

PowerPoster

Yes you are right of course.

1. A typo slipped through when I translated from C to VB6. I tried to proofread it several times and never did see that flaw.

2. Expecting to select a non-saturated "color" by changing hue alone is patently absurd. I wasn't thinking at all on that one. This isn't "color change" but merely "hue change."

Thanks, I was going in circles. Still not sure why white gets turned black without the hack when using the SHLWAPI.DLL calls though.
    Last edited by dilettante; Jul 28th, 2017 at 05:44 PM.

Frenzied Member

Gray does not exist on the colour circle. All grays exhibit the absence of a hue; rather, they are degrees of saturation of white, I believe
    Correcting myself in light of Tanner memory-jogging me.

Gray does not exist on the colour circle. All grays exhibit the absence of a hue; rather, they are degrees of luminance of white, I believe

PowerPoster

Well by "copying" over the new saturation as well as hue the grey colors work fine.

This was a degenerate situation where all colors in the target image are meant to vary only in their luminance ("brightness") anyway. Most of the time a hue change for more generalized images would probably "move" the hue of each pixel "around the circle" by a common value rather than simply replacing the hue of each pixel by a fixed hue value.

PowerPoster

Here is a version that ought to be a little quicker though it uses more RAM.

Even though the GetDIBits/SetDIBits docs don't say you can do it, requesting 32bpp works fine and reduces the array indexing operations by a factor of 3 by working on Long pixels.

They still have the OS/2 bitmap bits format so the bytes must be swapped to/from COLORREF format. Raymond Chen also said this is why most bitmaps are bottom-up - a legacy of OS/2.

PowerPoster

Thanks Chris, some good ideas for fast conversions there.

PowerPoster

For those who use the RichClient already, such a re-colorizing (from a given resource-image)
    can be done this way:

Code:
    Function GetReColorizedSurface(Src As cCairoSurface, ByVal NewColor As Long) As cCairoSurface
      Set GetReColorizedSurface = Src.CreateSimilar(, , , True) 'make a copy of the Src into the target-surface
      With GetReColorizedSurface.CreateContext
          .Operator = CAIRO_OPERATOR_HSL_HUE 'influence only the HUE-ColorTone of the target
          .SetSourceColor NewColor 'set the new Source-Color 
          .MaskSurface Src 'restrict the recolorizing-op only to Pixels which have Alpha>0
      End With
    End Function
    The above takes a Resource-Surface and returns a HUE-wise re-colorized copy of it.
    (useful for dynamic overlays on MouseOver on e.g. a ToolBar or something).

What it does respect as well (which is currently not covered by the Pixel-Loop in dils example),
    is the Alpha-Channel of the Resource-Image, which becomes important, when the target-background is not a solid color.

Here's what I mean (using the same GIF-Resource-image which was included in dils example, placing it in "C:\temp\").

Into a Form (project needs a reference to vbRichClient5):
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private ResSrf As cCairoSurface

Private Sub Form_Load() 'load the resource-surface and (since it's a GIF) blur it a bit for nicer downscaling
      Set ResSrf = Cairo.ImageList.AddImage("Test", "C:\temp\Test.gif").GaussianBlur(0.8)
    End Sub

Function GetReColorizedSurface(Src As cCairoSurface, ByVal NewColor As Long) As cCairoSurface
      Set GetReColorizedSurface = Src.CreateSimilar(, , , True) 'make a copy of the Src into the target-surface
      With GetReColorizedSurface.CreateContext
          .Operator = CAIRO_OPERATOR_HSL_HUE 'influence only the HUE-ColorTone of the target
          .SetSourceColor NewColor 'set the new Source-Color
          .MaskSurface Src 'restrict the recolorizing-op only to Pixels which have Alpha>0
      End With
    End Function

Private Sub Form_Click()
      Dim CC As cCairoContext, TB As cCairoPattern, i As Long, NewColor As Long
      Set CC = Cairo.CreateSurface(1024, 64).CreateContext

Set TB = Cairo.CreateLinearPattern(0, 0, 0, CC.Surface.Height)
          TB.AddGaussianStops_TwoColors vbWhite, &HCCCCCC
      CC.Paint 1, TB 'render the ToolBar-Pattern

CC.TranslateDrawings 6, 6 'define the TopLeft-Shift where the Icon-Rendering starts
      For i = 1 To 7
        NewColor = Choose(i, vbBlue, vbRed, vbGreen, vbCyan, vbMagenta, vbYellow, vbWhite)
        CC.RenderSurfaceContent GetReColorizedSurface(ResSrf, NewColor), 0, 0, 52, 52
        CC.TranslateDrawings 60, 0 'shift 60 Pixels to the right for the next Icon
      Next
      Set Picture = CC.Surface.Picture
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Terminate()
      New_c.CleanupRichClientDll
    End Sub
    Here's what it puts out, rendering the re-colorized Icons onto a simple ToolBar-Gradient-BackGround.

Olaf

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Still not sure why white gets turned black without the hack when using the SHLWAPI.DLL calls though.
    It's entirely possible I'm misunderstanding, but for some reason, I don't require the "hack" line of code on my local PC (Win 10 1703). The SHLWAPI functions produce correct results even without that...? (Weird??)

My personal (unwarranted!) opinion is that the SHLWAPI functions - while convenient - should probably be avoided. Besides potentially changing behavior between Windows versions, they unnecessarily restrict their output range to [0, 240], which causes additional precision loss when round-tripping from between RGB and HSL coords.

There are dozens of HSL transform functions in the wild that offer more precise results and better performance, and as an added bonus, you're guaranteed identical behavior across all Windows versions, past and present. Given that these functions typically aren't more than a few dozen lines of code, I think they're a preferable solution. My $0.02.

(Thanks to everyone for the follow-up information, too! All good stuff.)
    Check out PhotoDemon, a pro-grade photo editor written completely in VB6. (Full source available at GitHub.)

PowerPoster

I'm confused now myself, the hack doesn't seem to be needed for either version: 24 bit or 32 bit. Chalk it up to another dumb mistake somewhere that has been corrected since then. I can't reproduce the original problem.

Regarding the range... if the SHLWAPI is good enough then I see no problem. Or if you need a finer range there are options out there... as long as you don't break them like I did with typos or transcription errors.

Another example of my muddled thinking was using gray as a hue-source. Obviously for such a purpose it is the same as white which makes more sense in this role.

Hi Colin,
    I need the code if you do not mind. Even code for a Colour Picker will also help thanks.
    Thanks
    PK

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peekay View Post
    Hi Colin,
    I need the code if you do not mind. Even code for a Colour Picker will also help thanks.
    Thanks
    PK
    Check the Code Bank. It's already in there...

PowerPoster

There is a lot of code already given above so I'm not sure what you are after.

As for color pickers, you could just use the system dialog:

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Const CC_ANYCOLOR = &H100
    Private Const CC_RGBINIT = &H1
    Private Const CC_FULLOPEN = &H2

Private Type CHOOSECOLOR
        lStructSize As Long
        hwndOwner As Long
        hInstance As Long
        rgbResult As Long
        lpCustColors As Long
        Flags As Long
        lCustData As Long
        lpfnHook As Long
        lpTemplateName As String
    End Type

Private Declare Function ChooseColorAPI Lib "comdlg32" Alias "ChooseColorW" ( _
        ByRef CHOOSECOLOR As CHOOSECOLOR) As Long

Private Declare Function GetSysColor Lib "user32" (ByVal nIndex As Long) As Long

Private CHOOSECOLOR As CHOOSECOLOR
    Private CustomColors(0 To 15) As Long 'Buffer to retain user's settings.

Private Function ShowColor(ByVal CurrColor As OLE_COLOR) As Long
        'Returns -1 on Cancel or error.
        With CHOOSECOLOR
            .lStructSize = LenB(CHOOSECOLOR)
            .hwndOwner = hWnd
            .Flags = CC_ANYCOLOR Or CC_RGBINIT Or CC_FULLOPEN
            .lpCustColors = VarPtr(CustomColors(0))
            If CurrColor < 0 Then
                .rgbResult = GetSysColor(CurrColor And &HFFFF&)
            Else
                .rgbResult = CurrColor
            End If
        End With
        If ChooseColorAPI(CHOOSECOLOR) <> 0 Then
            ShowColor = CHOOSECOLOR.rgbResult
        Else
            ShowColor = -1
        End If
    End Function

Private Sub Label_Click(Index As Integer)
        Dim NewColor As Long

NewColor = ShowColor(Label(Index).BackColor)
        If NewColor >= 0 Then Label(Index).BackColor = NewColor
    End Sub
    Name:  sshot1.png
Views: 1104
Size:  11.8 KB

Here (i.e. in this demo Form) there are some Label controls you can click on to pick new background colors to apply to them.
    Last edited by dilettante; Aug 6th, 2017 at 04:19 AM.