Thread: CommonDialog vb6/sp6 (continuation of earlier post)

CommonDialog vb6/sp6 (continuation of earlier post)

LaVolpe and SamOscarBrown were correct. I did not have a CommonDialog icon on my form. Now I do have. But I also am still having problems. SamOscarBrown's response said "if you have the Properties section open in your IDE..." What is the IDE?
    when I right click on any other control, then select Properties, I see the Propertiies listing, starting with Name, Appearance, etc. When I right click on the CommonDialog then select Properties, I get Properties Page that looks entirely different. What am I doing wrong?

Can we go about this another way? Is there anyone on the forum that I could grant on-line access to my computer to examine my code (with my guidance, and for a fee) and help me out?

Hal W
    Houston, Tx

Re: CommonDialog vb6/sp6 (continuation of earlier post)

Hal

When I do that, the first few Properties are

(About)
    (Custom)
    (Name) .. CommonDialog1
    CancelError .. False
    Color
    Copies .. 1

Look familiar?

Spoo

Quote Originally Posted by Spooman View Post
    Hal

When I do that, the first few Properties are

(About)
    (Custom)
    (Name) .. CommonDialog1
    CancelError .. False
    Color
    Copies .. 1

Look familiar?

Spoo

Nope! I see a bot with the caption "Property Pages". At the top are five tabs:
    Open/Save As Color font Print Help

At the bottom are four buttons:
    OK Cancel Apply(initially greyed out) Help

The default tab initially selected is the Open/Save As tab.
    Underneath are four rows, two columns of entry fields:

Dialog File: (empty) Flags: 0
    File Name: (empty) DefaultExt: (empty)
    InitDir: (empty) Max File Size: 250
    Filter: (empty) FilterIndex: 0

Under these entry fields, there is an (unchecked) Check Box CancelError

I could continue with what is under the other four tabs, but this is probably enough for you to recognize the box.

Thanks,

Hal W

Hal

Now that I look more closely, I see that I get both ..

The "normal" Properties box

Name:  cd1.png
Views: 262
Size:  14.6 KB

.. and the box you reference

Name:  cd2.png
Views: 294
Size:  5.4 KB

Do you not see the "normal" box?

Spoo

PowerPoster

Sounds like you are looking at the custom section of the properties.
    Name:  Image2.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  39.7 KB

The designer is the IDE
    The window on the right where you see custom highlighted is the properties window
    The window popped up on screen is the custom properties window

If you don't see the window on the right (in DM's post above), then under the Main Menu, select View, Property Pages. Also, if you right click on the form or another control and right-click, you can get the property pages as well...once that is open LEFT click on the CommonDialog icon on your form and the property pages (on the right) will show the common properties of the dialog.

Now...I forgot what you are trying to do in the first place (some other thread). What do you need help on now?

@Sam. His other thread mentioned "method not found" error for the common dialog. I assumed failed project load where VB changed the common dialog to a picturebox control. If I recall, he also said he needed help ASAP because his customer was waiting on some update.

But it does sound like this OP is not a programmer, or at the very least, not the original owner of the code/program. I just cannot fathom a VBer not knowing terms like IDE and property sheet, etc, especially one that is selling VB apps.

Since this appears to be program for sale, based on his previous thread, I'm bowing out on hand-holding thru this debug/patching process. Nothing personal, I don't mind pointing out potential problems but do not help fix specific code that others generate money from directly -- just a personal rule. That's what 'rent-a-coder' sites are for IMO.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Jul 22nd, 2017 at 09:20 AM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Hey LaVolpe,

Just an FYI. "Property Sheet" is pretty obvious, but when I joined these forums, I also had no idea what "IDE" meant. I also remember being puzzled by "OP". Actually, as I was sorting all this out, that's when the clip from Good Morning Vietnam came to mind, and hence the YouTube clip in my signature line.

halwvtpoman, I'm not sure it's been totally made clear yet. IDE just means "Integrated Development Environment". It just means the VB6 development program as a whole. And OP means original poster (or original post) which just means you in this case (or the opening post of the thread).

Good Luck with getting things sorted,
    Elroy

EDIT1: In fact, a bit later on, I remember having a discussion with Bonnie about the distinction between "Property Sheet" and "Property Window". We finally agreed that the "Property Window" is the one that comes up when you hit F4, and that "Property Sheet" is the custom form that comes up on some controls in addition to the "Property Window" (or that you've developed yourself for your own custom controls).
    Last edited by Elroy; Jul 22nd, 2017 at 09:40 AM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    That's what 'rent-a-coder' sites are for IMO.
    never heard of that one before.

well with the Brexit coming, we will need somthing like that in Frankfurt.

regards
    Chris

... the custom form that comes up on some controls in addition to the "Property Window" (or that you've developed yourself for your own custom controls)
    Property Page. Trust me, I've created many user controls in my time. Regarding the window shown on the right side of the IDE, technically it is called the "Property Window" per VB's View menu (F4). In any case, if someone were to tell you to check the property sheet, I think most coders would have a good idea what was just said.

This project is one of multiple (based on previous thread) and anyone that's been coding for commercial sale, successfully, is likely a seasoned coder & would be aware of what I would consider common VB terms. Regardless, my statement was to support my assumption that the OP is likely not a VB programmer and has no relevance to this thread other than possibly the level of assistance needed.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:56 AM.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
    never heard of that one before
    Was, may still be, quite popular though the site I'm referring to has changed its name since. I was a somewhat regular and a preferred go-to on that site during the time I was active with it. Even made a few thousand $$ to supplement x-mas, anniversaries and birthdays

Yup....as said before (on other thread), I agree with you (LaVolpe) that something happened with/to the OCX/project causing a PB to replace the now missing CD. Hopefully OP (Original Poster, not Original Post in this case~~~~smile~~) has now fixed THAT (or someone who knows how to program, that is).

SO, OP, what IS your current problem?

@Sam. His other thread mentioned "method not found" error for the common dialog. I assumed failed project load where VB changed the common dialog to a picturebox control. If I recall, he also said he needed help ASAP because his customer was waiting on some update.

But it does sound like this OP is not a programmer, or at the very least, not the original owner of the code/program. I just cannot fathom a VBer not knowing terms like IDE and property sheet, etc, especially one that is selling VB apps.

Since this appears to be program for sale, based on his previous thread, I'm bowing out on hand-holding thru this debug/patching process. Nothing personal, I don't mind pointing out potential problems but do not help fix specific code that others generate money from directly -- just a personal rule. That's what 'rent-a-coder' sites are for IMO.
    LaVolpe,

I'm sorry I did not answer this two years ago. I am NOT a commercial deveioper. My expertise is in another field (Process Automation for Chemical Plants, Petroleum Refineries, etc.) I conduct training seminars in that field, and I needed a training app to assist me. Since there was nothing like I wanted that existed, I learned enough VB6 to do my own developement. I AM THE ORIGINAL DEVELOPER OF THIS PROGRAM.

Hal W.

LaVolpe,

I'm sorry I did not answer this two years ago. I am NOT a commercial deveioper. My expertise is in another field (Process Automation for Chemical Plants, Petroleum Refineries, etc.) I conduct training seminars in that field, and I needed a training app to assist me. Since there was nothing like I wanted that existed, I learned enough VB6 to do my own developement. I AM THE ORIGINAL DEVELOPER OF THIS PROGRAM.

Hal W.

Here it is 2019, and I am still having the same problem with CommonDialog. I have the icon on my form. When I run my app in developer mode. the following statement: cdlCommonDialog.DialogTitle = "Something" gives Run-Time Error "424" Object Required.

What is meant by "Object"?

Hal W

I just cannot fathom a VBer not knowing terms like IDE
    Interestingly, I've been programming rather constantly since about 1977, and I never used the acronym "IDE" until joining these forums in mid-2014. In fact, for a while I listed the YouTube clip where Robin Williams makes fun of his superior officer in Good Morning Vietnam for using so many acronyms, in my VBForums signature. For the interested, here it is.

And just a short vitae ... I owned, managed, and was head programmer of an accounting applications firm (selling world wide) for 14 years. And then, for the last 20+ years, I've been involved in programming for motion capture applications in hospital settings. Just saying ... we can get a great deal of excellent work done, and not necessarily participate in a community with a private esoteric language. There are many concepts I had down cold, but didn't necessarily call them by their "correct" names until I became a regular participant in these forums.

LaVolpe, I have tremendous respect for you ... but I do think we need to be careful with our assumptions.

All The Best,
    Elroy
    Last edited by Elroy; Sep 24th, 2019 at 12:01 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

in the properties section when the commondialog icon is selected, do you see the NAME of the object? Your CODE indicates the NAME is cdlCommonDialog...THAT must match what the NAME of the object is...the DEFAULT is CommonDialog1.

EDIT...I am not sure why you are trying to set the Dialog Title either.
    Last edited by SamOscarBrown; Sep 25th, 2019 at 06:35 AM.