Thread: [RESOLVED] Unable to open project Visual Community 2015

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Unable to open project Visual Community 2015

I was working on a project for several weeks with no problems.
    I started a second project again with no problems.
    I went back to the first project and got the following errors:
    The second project still works fine.

[Failure] Could not find file 'I:\VISUAL_BASIC_2015\WindowsApplication10\My Project\Resources.Designer.vb'.
    [Failure] Could not find file 'I:\VISUAL_BASIC_2015\WindowsApplication10\My Project\Application.Designer.vb'.
    [Failure] Could not find file 'I:\VISUAL_BASIC_2015\WindowsApplication10\My Project\AssemblyInfo.vb'.
    [Failure] Could not find file 'I:\VISUAL_BASIC_2015\WindowsApplication10\My Project\Settings.Designer.vb'.

The My Project folder for this project is completely empty.
    If I look in another My Project folder there are 7 files.
    I did not delete anything on my pc since I started working on these projects.
    Is there any way to get these files back ( I HOPE), or some type of work around, so that I do not have to start over again ?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Re: Unable to open project Visual Community 2015

You might be able to copy them from another project and have things compile okay, other than that you could remove any references to them from your vbproj file and see if that helps.

To prevent this kind of thing in future I would really recommend looking at some form of source code control though - as well as preventing this kind of issue it makes versioning and change management so much easier.

Lively Member

I tried coping the missing files from another project.
    I had to modify the settings.designer.vb and the application.designer.vb files.

When I compile it I get the following error:
    Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error BC30456 'Deal' is not a member of 'WindowsApplication10'. WindowsApplication10 I:\VISUAL_BASIC_2015\WindowsApplication10\My Project\Application.Designer.vb 35 Active

In the Application.designer.vb file it shows the following error:
    <Global.System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThroughAttribute()> _
    Protected Overrides Sub OnCreateMainForm()
    Me.MainForm = WindowsApplication10.Deal
    End Sub
    End Class
    Deal is not a member of windows.application10 but it is my project name.
    The APPLICATION.DESIGNER.VB is the only file that opens when I click on it in the Recent projects in the start menu.

How can I remove any references to them from my vbproj file (it does not get loaded).
    Last edited by wideminnow6970; Jul 20th, 2017 at 02:25 PM.

Sinecure devotee

Perhaps you didn't intentionally delete them. Did you check the recycle bin.
    Sometimes when moving the mouse quickly over my desktop and it happens to be over Explorer my finger can inadvertently spasm and drag and drop a random file from a random directory to another. If I realized I might have done that and don't know what file was moved where I hit Ctrl-Z to undo the last action or right click on Windows Explorer to see if the latest action to undo was a Move and do it.

But if files are missing, usually the first check would be to check the recycle bin.
    Last edited by passel; Jul 20th, 2017 at 02:53 PM.

You should be able to use something like notepad to open the vbproj file, I would strongly recommend making a backup first though as it is pretty easy to break things when using a simple text editor to edit this file.

Frenzied Member

Another suggestion is to just create a new project with the desired references and then copy the files (but not folders) from I:\VISUAL_BASIC_2015\WindowsApplication10\WindowsApplication10\ into whatever the new equivalent is (i.e., I:\VISUAL_BASIC_2015\WindowsApplication??\WindowsApplication??\). Then in Solution Explorer, right-click and Add... Existing Item.

Lively Member

I created the new project and copied the files to the new project.
    Works fine.

Thanks for the help...