Thread: Alternative JET ?

Addicted Member

Alternative JET ?

Does anyone know of an alternative JET driver? I'm aware of VistaDB so alternative(s) do exist.

Anyone know of any apart from VistaDB? .Net Managed. ie 'AnyCPU' capable able to read/write MDB file.

Cost isn't the problem so not (necessarily) looking for a freebie.

Thanks
    Ian
    Last edited by Axcontrols; Jul 17th, 2017 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Highlight word "AnyCPU"

Re: Alternative JET ?

You want to use MDB files, but you don't want to use ADO?
    Any specific reason for this?

Addicted Member

I guess you didn't see my mention of "AnyCPU"? (ie able to run 64bit)

.Net's build in driver is ONLY 32bit so applications developed to use that must be built to target x86.

Sorry I think I don't understand your request.

Do you want a specific 64 bit driver or do you want your application to run on both 32bit and 64bit WinOS?

https://www.altova.com/Access-Databa...bit-64bit.html

Addicted Member

Sorry if I did not give enough information. I thought the word "AnyCPU" would be enough for any .net developer to understand my original question.

The link to Altova is their page explaining how to install a 64bit version of ACE. But (unless I missed it) it did not explain what happens if the user already has a 32bit version of ACE installed. Instead it says:-

There is currently an unfortunate limitation of the 64-bit ACE driver – it cannot co-exist with 32-bit versions of Microsoft Office.

I have no control over what version of office the user may have installed or wish to install in future. So, in my mind, ACE is not the solution.

But I thought if you used ADO.Net on an MDB file then this would be independent of the used MS-Office version.

Maybe we'll need to wait for the real .Net / DB developers to jump in.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    But I thought if you used ADO.Net on an MDB file then this would be independent of the used MS-Office version.

Maybe we'll need to wait for the real .Net / DB developers to jump in.
    Yes. Using the Ado/OleDB/Jet driver that is built into the .Net framework is fully independent of any version of MSOffice installed on the machine.

But ADO/OleDB/Jet drive is ONLY in the 32bit framework. It does not exist in the 64bit framework so any attempt to call it while running in 64bit mode will crash.

Your other suggestion, ACE won't work either. ACE is not part of the .net framework. ACE is the access driver installed by MS Office. .Net applications can use ACE but problems will occur if the .net application is not the same 'bit-ness' as the version of office installed on the machine. Currently default install of office is 32bit so, in most cases, 32bit office will be installed which means a .net application that relies on ACE can not run in 64bit mode.

I suspect a few of the .Net developers won;t even read this thread now that there's a lot of answers on it.

Addicted Member

So. to clarify once again

Apart from VistaDB does anyone know of a replacement for the .Net OleDB/Jet driver. One that is .Net Managed. ie 'AnyCPU'.

I repeat. Target "AnyCPU"

Please don't suggest ACE

And you can't just create a 32bit application? These work on both 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows.

Sorry for ruining your thread.

Addicted Member

I'm very sorrty Arnoutdv.

I know I can build x86. I do understand WOW64. But that does not answer the question. I do not want to build x86. As I mentioned at the top.

I already have an x86 application. After amny years I am now looking to move away from x86 so I am now looking for an alternative to the oledb/jet driver that is NOT x86.
    Last edited by Axcontrols; Jul 17th, 2017 at 09:01 AM.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    And you can't just create a 32bit application? These work on both 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows.

Sorry for ruining your thread.
    Don't applogize for ruining the thread. You didn't ruin the thread at all. I suspect there is no alternative jet driver. So I have enjoyed our debate.

and I hope the information I gave you about 32bit OleDB/Jet and 32bit-vs-64bit ACE is of some use to you in future.
    Last edited by Axcontrols; Jul 17th, 2017 at 09:07 AM.

JET is not part of the .Net framework, it is part of Windows.

While ACE used to only allow 32-bit or 64-bit, it now apparently allows both on the same computer. I haven't had a need for several years, so I don't have any useful info to set it up - it should be easy to find tho.

Also note that there are several alternatives to .mdb files, depending on your circumstances. These include SQL Server Express, and SQLite (which is the current recommendation for local single-user databases from many people, apparently including Microsoft).

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    While ACE used to only allow 32-bit or 64-bit, it now apparently allows both on the same computer. I haven't had a need for several years, so I don't have any useful info to set it up - it should be easy to find tho.
    Really? That's awesome news. MS initially screwed that up so badly, It was comical.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by DEXWERX View Post
    Really? That's awesome news. MS initially screwed that up so badly, It was comical.
    I think it's still screwed. Any solution I've seen to get both 32 and 64 bit ACE drivers involved poking about in the registry to hack it in there so probably not supported by MS and therefore something I wouldn't do to my users.

But if there is an official method it would be great if somebody linked to it. Thanks. Ian

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    ..... and SQLite (which is the current recommendation for local single-user databases from many people, apparently including Microsoft).
    Yes. MS are recommending SQLite. I will add that SQLite is fast. Very fast. Faster than Jet I would say. At the moment, that's what I'm developing on. But I'm still interested in the MDB file format.

But, to get the thread back to the original question - Ignoring alternatives to MDB files. I'm curious to know if there is there any way for an "AnyCPU" .Net application to read/write MDB files.
    Last edited by Axcontrols; Jul 17th, 2017 at 10:03 AM.

gibra

Quote Originally Posted by Axcontrols View Post
    But, to get the thread back to the original question - Ignoring alternatives to MDB files. I'm curious to know if there is there any way for an "AnyCPU" .Net application to read/write MDB files.
    No, there is no alternative because MDB files can only be managed usign JET, and Microsoft has never published a 64bit diver.
    And I doubt he'll do it in the future.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by gibra View Post
    No, there is no alternative because MDB files can only be managed usign JET, and Microsoft has never published a 64bit diver.
    And I doubt he'll do it in the future.
    I did not ask for a Microsoft alternative.

There IS at least one non-Microsoft alternative that can access MDB files without using JET. (32bit and 64bit)

So. If there is one. Then I was just asking if there are any others.

Frenzied Member

ability office database uses the .mdb format
    if both on 64 and 32, i have no idea
    ages ago it came as a freebie with one of those cumputer magazines
    dont remember wich one
    do not put off till tomorrow what you can put off forever

Quote Originally Posted by Axcontrols View Post
    I did not ask for a Microsoft alternative.

There IS at least one non-Microsoft alternative that can access MDB files without using JET. (32bit and 64bit)

So. If there is one. Then I was just asking if there are any others.
    Hello, what is the one non-Microsoft alternative you mentioned here?
    So, in my opinion, converting mdb to accdb is always not a good idea? Because Dao and Jet have been abandoned by Microsoft for a long time, and morover an ACE engine 2010 is required to install on the client side.

I would like to know how did you solve this problem in the end? Convert to sqlite? If you can share the experience, I will be very grateful.

Hi, guys. I don't know if this is of any help at all, but I have had a similar problem.
    My cure, and I'm not saying this would be your desired path, was to use the 'Modern' Access-format Db, .accdb.
    I installed OleDb ACE 12.0 64-bit, and this co-exists very nicely with Office 365, 64-bit.
    Best regards, Pete