Thread: Procedure to connect to a database of an other computer in my work network.

Procedure to connect to a database of an other computer in my work network.

Hi all

I am using VB2013 and SQL Server 2012
    I have develop an application in vb 2013. That application use an sql database for store and procedure
    the data.

Now i want to run the application in another computer of the network, but use the same database in the remote computer

I connect to the sql server in the remote computer (where the base is) with windows authentication
    (user name : synergeio-PC\synergeio).

In the client computer and at the application i use this connection string :
    Data source=10.96.17.83,1433; Network Library=DBMSSOCN; Initial Catalog=Vehicle_Db;Integrated Security=True

When i try to run my application i get this error message :

Login Failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with windows authentication.

I search the google and i find that i have change the Integrated Security in the connection string with username and password

I don know how to do this, or if this is the solution in my connection problem.

Can any one help me how to configure the server and/or the client and what is the correct connection string
    for establish a valid connection to the remote database?

Thanks in advance

Re: Procedure to connect to a database of an other computer in my work network.

If both computers are on a domain and you have logged into the PC running the application with a domain account then you can use integrated security, because that account will also be recognised on the machine running the database. Without a domain, the account you're logged into your PC with is not recognised on the server, so integrated security is not an option. You need to create a login in SQL Server and then you can specify those credentials in your connection string on any machine.

In SQL Server Management Studio, you can create a login under the Security node for the instance. Once the login exists, you can use the Security node under your database to map it to a user for that database. See www.connectionstrings.com for the details of the connection string.

gibra

Re: Procedure to connect to a database of an other computer in my work network.

You can also create a linked server to connect the remote database.