Thread: Do not work Focus changing

Do not work Focus changing

Please answer me such question. I have two textboxes on a form and ten buttons with digits (as a simple calculator buttons). When i click on any digits it must appears in one textbox. When I set focus on another textbox and click the same button this digit must appears in the next text box. I have such code:

Private Sub Button4_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button4.Click
    If TextBox1.Focus = True Then
    TextBox1.Text &= "1"
    TextBox2.Select()
    Else
    end sub
    But when the program is working digit is appearing just in the first textbox or in both textboxes at the same time.
    Thanks for Your help if you can.

Re: Do not work Focus changing

When you click on a button, which control will then have focus?

Put a breakpoint on the first line inside the If statement, and see if it is EVER reached. I think you will find that it is not, which is the point behind my question. Showing what is in the Else part of that sub might further explain the behavior.

I believe that you're going to have to use something other than Focus to indicate which textbox should be written to. Focus can shift around to other controls, or even no control, so having a variable at form scope to indicate which control should be the target will ultimately be a more reliable solution.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Declare a module level variable mActiveTextBox, when a TextBox got focus set mActiveTextBox to that TextBox, something like this
    vb Code:
    1. Option Strict On
    2. Option Explicit On
    4. Public Class Form1
    5.     Private mActiveTextBox As TextBox
    7.     Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
    8.         mActiveTextBox = TextBox1
    9.     End Sub
    11.     Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click, Button2.Click
    12.         mActiveTextBox.Text &= "1"
    13.     End Sub
    15.     Private Sub TextBox1_GotFocus(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles TextBox1.GotFocus
    16.         mActiveTextBox = TextBox1
    17.     End Sub
    19.     Private Sub TextBox2_GotFocus(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles TextBox2.GotFocus
    20.         mActiveTextBox = TextBox2
    21.     End Sub
    23. End Class

Thank you.
    Well, my question wasn't so correct.
    I need the next: when cursor is in the textbox1 and I click the button the digit is appearing in the textbox1, and when cursor is in the textbox2 and I click the button the digit is appearing in the textbox2. But now I have a such situation: I press the button and digits appears in both textboxes (or triple, when I add textbox3). The code is like this:
    Private Sub Button4_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button4.Click
    If TextBox1.Focus Then
    TextBox1.Text &= "1"
    End If
    If TextBox2.Focus = True Then
    TextBox2.Text &= "1"
    End If
    End Sub

Quote Originally Posted by 4x2y View Post
    Declare a module level variable mActiveTextBox, when a TextBox got focus set mActiveTextBox to that TextBox, something like this
    vb Code:
    1. Option Strict On
    2. Option Explicit On
    4. Public Class Form1
    9.     End Sub
    11.     Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click, Button2.Click
    13.     End Sub
    15.     Private Sub TextBox1_GotFocus(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles TextBox1.GotFocus
    17.     End Sub
    19.     Private Sub TextBox2_GotFocus(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles TextBox2.GotFocus
    21.     End Sub
    23. End Class
    Very-very thanks a lot Your method is working absolutely correctly. You're an Angel for me tonight. My problem is solved. Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x2y View Post
    vb Code:
    1. Option Strict On
    2. Option Explicit On
    4. Public Class Form1
    9.     End Sub
    13.     End Sub
    17.     End Sub
    21.     End Sub
    23. End Class
    As the documentation states, application developers should use the Enter and Leave events rather than the GotFocus and LostFocus events. Likewise, use the Select method rather than the Focus method.

I've never trusted the LostFocus event. Back in VB5/6, I found that it wasn't reliably raised. For that reason, I stopped using it and have never used it since. I'm not surprised that MS discourages use of those events.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing