Thread: Windows 10 Creators Update

Hybrid View

Windows 10 Creators Update

I've seen the Creators Update and it seems like its a bunch of bloatware. Being on Windows 10 we are now forced updates. So I'm looking to see if anyone has a way to disable the update and not just postpone it like all the google links start out saying disable but upon reading its just postponing it with group policy setting or changing to a metered wifi connection etc.

I am running the upgraded version of Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Ultimate and my current system is taxed enough running 10 so looking to maintain performance by avoiding the update

Thanks
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

PowerPoster

Re: Windows 10 Creators Update

I am gritting my teeth waiting for the other shoe to drop. The other day a "review your security settings before we send you the update" thing popped up. So most likely it is trickling the update out to me in the background as I type.

I worry far less about the things everyone else seems to be donning tinfoil hats over. I worry about what it might break forever.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I am gritting my teeth waiting for the other shoe to drop. The other day a "review your security settings before we send you the update" thing popped up. So most likely it is trickling the update out to me in the background as I type.

I worry far less about the things everyone else seems to be donning tinfoil hats over. I worry about what it might break forever.
    I read that MS is rolling out the CU to Win 10 Home users first. Guess they figure to a wide test that wont break Pro versions which would be more in the workplace.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

The group policy setting can disable automatic updates and require them all to be installed manually. However, like RobDog888, I know of no way of disabling individual updates like you could in Windows 7. This is one of the primary reasons why we haven't and are not going to, update from Windows 7 to Windows 10. We use Windows 10 only for testing purposes. Others we have spoken to about this are also taking this same line - a couple have reverted from Windows 10 to Windows 7!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    The group policy setting can disable automatic updates and require them all to be installed manually. However, like RobDog888, I know of no way of disabling individual updates like you could in Windows 7. This is one of the primary reasons why we haven't and are not going to, update from Windows 7 to Windows 10. We use Windows 10 only for testing purposes. Others we have spoken to about this are also taking this same line - a couple have reverted from Windows 10 to Windows 7!
    I may revert my install back to Win 7 Ultimate on my current system and on my new system, should be up and running in another day or two, I'll run 10 Pro so no matter what happens I will have a system to fall back on and a good way to test my apps on both.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

PowerPoster

From what I read after 1703 is installed you have even less ability to block updates. I heard there is a 7-day delay you can choose but that's it.

Supposedly the problem was that a lot of people had blocked 1607 and even 1511 and there is chaos out there now. Many security patches can't be rolled out to anything before 1607 right now.

So this doesn't surprise me. A big piece of the motivation behind "Windows 10 Forever" was to prevent the obstinate from digging in their heels on Windows 95, then Windows XP, and now Windows 7. Businesses are the worst about this, box jockeys would rather avoid the need to learn anything new since most of those low-skilled hacks can barely cope as it is.

Windows 7 was declared "unsecurable" and while many took that as a marketing ploy there is probably a some truth in it. Many Win7 issues that impact development were never fixed on Win7 and never will be. In many ways Win7 is a far bigger mess than Vista ever was.

I see it similar as a way to make windows more secure and respectable in the market. If you force updates then the system will be more secure. Those systems that dont get the updates for whatever reason are the ones that will be hacked etc and that makes MS and Windows look bad. So I can see where they are coming from but there has to be some timeframe on our part to do our due diligence in preparing for xx change(s). If they want to force feed us updates on a tight timeframe like 7 days then damn I'll go back to DOS 6.22 LOL.

There has to be some way to foll the windows update into thinking that update xx has already been updated. Then that would buy the time needed to test and prepare for its changes

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

If Microsoft limited forced updates to just security issues that would be fine - even to be encouraged. The issue is that they don't. Non-security updates need to be optional - not mandatory - like they are in Windows 7. Then we'd have another look at upgrading. Security patches need to work and to be able to be installed irrespective of what non-security software has or hasn't been installed.

Supposedly the problem was that a lot of people had blocked 1607 and even 1511 and there is chaos out there now
    This 'chaos' is an issue entirely of Microsoft's own making. The solution is in their own hands by only mandating security patches and no others
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Mandating security patches is a no brainer and wish ms did that but forcing a service pack with lots of new features and bloatware we most likely dont want is absurd

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Ok so looks like my Windows 10 Pro has received the first inkling that the CU is on its way for non-home users

Name:  Win10CU.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  22.2 KB

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

PowerPoster

If you think these are "security plus features" patches you are sadly mistaken.

In reality they as big as any Service Pack, and in some cases equivalent to a new Windows version (in the old days). Some things are not being addressed by patching, but by wholesale replacement of PE files, registry trees, etc.

Windows 10 1607 is really "Windows 12" or so. 1703 will be lucky "Windows 13"

PowerPoster

I got that dialog several weeks ago. Now I see "Good news! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way. Want to be one of the first to get it?" but I'm in no hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I got that dialog several weeks ago. Now I see "Good news! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way. Want to be one of the first to get it?" but I'm in no hurry.
    Are you running Home or Pro? Its been released to the Home users first and havent seen anything on the Pro version yet until this. I wish we could just get the update and opt to install the bloatware new features that most of us will never use

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Speaking of Windows 10, I was very lucky that I have a free copy from my university. Or else I have to spend much more on it since I bought a mac.

PowerPoster

Two desktops with Pro, one tablet with Home.

Unwanted bloatware such as Cortana, .Net, and Metro/WinRT also just mean more bloat in the monthly security patch burden. I wouldn't miss any of that but we don't get a choice.

Is it true you can no longer turn off Cortana?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    Is it true you can no longer turn off Cortana?
    I don't think so, maybe in a group policy, but even before the creator's update I didn't see anything about shutting off.

One thing I am beginning to miss in the Add or remove programs Search box I do know that.
    Disclaimer: When code is given for example - it is merely a example.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

I have a trick for this (unfortunately you can't avoid security patches) however, you can use the "low bandwidth" or Data cap restriction, so you will only get updates once a year or so. That is all that you can do as far as disabling updates.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc20181 View Post
    I have a trick for this (unfortunately you can't avoid security patches) however, you can use the "low bandwidth" or Data cap restriction, so you will only get updates once a year or so. That is all that you can do as far as disabling updates.
    I had only found this, posted 3 days ago. Its the Pro version option only and says only postpones for about 4 months

http://winaero.com/blog/delay-upgrade-windows-10-1709/

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    I had only found this, posted 3 days ago. Its the Pro version option only and says only postpones for about 4 months

http://winaero.com/blog/delay-upgrade-windows-10-1709/
    How is a pro version only feature? Are they gonna pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for overage charges? I used to live in the country we had Satilite internet, terrible, 20GB cap they claimed we could still use it after that but it would be slowed down, nope, stuff would barely load if you was lucky you could get the html low bandwidth version gmail to load, otherwise you had to wait until the next month.

With that said, Windows forcing such updates or forcing you to have a pro version just to prevent it from updating and using your data cap up is plain stupidity, and I expect in the next few years to see a few law suits over this.

How is a pro version only feature? Are they gonna pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for overage charges? I used to live in the country we had Satilite internet, terrible, 20GB cap they claimed we could still use it after that but it would be slowed down, nope, stuff would barely load if you was lucky you could get the html low bandwidth version gmail to load, otherwise you had to wait until the next month.

With that said, Windows forcing such updates or forcing you to have a pro version just to prevent it from updating and using your data cap up is plain stupidity, and I expect in the next few years to see a few law suits over this.
    Maybe that's why MS is launching that initiative to increase internet to the sticks?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I think it isn't so much a feature of the Pro version more that they are trusting people running the Pro version to be able to make an intelligent decision about installing and deferring updates. The assumption is that people running the Home edition are not tech savvy and can't always be trusted to decide on these things, if updates are constantly avoided it will result in bug fixes not being applied and security updates being missed - things a home user will likely suffer from. A "Pro" user is much more likely to be aware of issues and possibly already have other AV products, firewalls etc.

My guess is one deferral per month as this quote states up to 5 times

Users who are currently not interested in updating to the latest OS can defer the installation five times with the fifth prompt asking users to confirm the settings. The company has also clarified to users that the Latest update will not be installed forcibly after the confirmation of the privacy settings.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Got the prompt to restart in order to finish installing CU Advanced setting to defer is on!

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

PowerPoster

I'm not sure they can do much except allow users to uninstall some of the code blobs that require large updates because they are such gigantic attack surfaces. For example the myriad .Net Frameworks come to mind, usually the bulk of each month's update burden.

Got forced to review my privacy settings as it completely locked me out from anything at all! Still no update as hopes the defer option is whats holding it off.

I have to do a fresh install soon and wondering if I can prevent the CU update again somehow.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

PowerPoster

Well it has finally arrived here.

A few annoying bumps but so far I've been able to fix the few things it broke that I have found. I'll keep an eye open but so far... not too bad.

What did you find that broke?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

PowerPoster

Two minor things.

First it complained about an old application and prevented it from running. I ran a repair install and it came back to life, but the complaints went on through numerous logons, then finally stopped.

Second it broke runs of an old MSDN Library documentation set from shortcuts, even though programs using it for context-sensitive Help still worked. A repair install fixed that as well, though I had to delete and recreate the shortcuts.

Sure looks like you can keep Cortana turned off, but I have yet to see the full update. I'm only running Pro, though, which may be the only one that can turn Cortana off via group policy.

By the way, who cares about size anymore? It's running processes that matter, many of which can be turned off. Memory is cheap and plentiful.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

This is the only relevant update I had when forced to review the privacy settings in prep for CU. Nothing else yet

Windows 10 Creators Update Privacy Settings for x64-based Systems (KB4013214)

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

So finally got forced to upgrade even though defer updates was selected. Unfortunate though that the rare occurring emerge from hibernate lockup caused me to reboot and thus it failed to install previously downloaded updates, including CU. So it prepped to update again and downloaded again and then installed which I could not stop. I went to bed as was wasting over an hour of my time. This morning it was shutdown so when I get home we shall see if it is messed up or not.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011