Thread: Bumfodder Bar growing?

PowerPoster

Bumfodder Bar growing?

Is it false perception or has the right-pane "click me again you fool I am here to make you miserable" advertising bar grown in width by 80 pixels or so in the past month?

As somebody who actually uses my computer I don't run browsers full-screen. Why the assumption of "passive content consumer" mode?

Microsoft is even worse at this lately and has been for a year or so. Lots of pages at MSDN and their other doc pages can't even be read anymore without truncation unless you full-screen them.

Web "developers" need a brick upside the head. Their excesses border on the criminal.

Funny thing about Web advertising. The more offensive the ad is to making use of a page's content... the more likely I am to shun the advertiser and boycott their products. At least we don't have popups, flyins, and floatovers here yet.

The Web has become quite the Blade Runner dystopia.
    Last edited by dilettante; Jun 15th, 2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: amusing typo corrected

Re: Bumfodder Bar growing?

Ummm..... I have done the One Question Polls at the same width since the beginning. As such, the width of the right side hasn't changed....

There are a few pop-ups and fly-ins around here.... There are what we call "welcome ads" every now and then that greet you when you arrive the first time in a given day in a browser.

Being transparent -
    There is another ad coming very soon that will slide in at the bottom. I was just looking at it on one of our other sites and the ads were for hard alcohol, chicken, and fancy cars. As such, the targeting seemed to fit the average developer...... (You can click this ad away and it should be cookied so that you don't get it over and over.)
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

PowerPoster

I understand the revenue model and that without ads we'd either have nothing or membership fees (and we know that won't work).

I just wish the thing wasn't so big so I could just leave it there instead of playing the "humpty jumpty" game every page-load.

There are sites doing far worse things.
    Last edited by dilettante; Jun 15th, 2017 at 04:56 PM. Reason: i can't type for crap today

When I drag by browser window wider, the ads on the right remain the same size.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

PowerPoster

Well thanks for looking at it. It sure seems to have crept a bit wider but maybe there is just a loose screw behind my keyboard.