Thread: [RESOLVED] Slow VS 2017 startup

Resolved [RESOLVED] Slow VS 2017 startup

NEW to .Net world....spent years in VB6.
    What can I do to speed up the start of a solution using VS2017?
    I notice the disk usage jumps rapidly to 100% while it is starting. Can take up to 2 minutes some times to load a simple solution.
    Using HP 15 Notebook, 6G ram, Windows 10 Home (1703), 1.70 GHz CPU, 64-Bit. (Memory usage basically stays around 50% all the time unless doing something additional.)

Re: Slow VS 2017 startup

I don't know about 2 minutes, but my VS 2017 can take quite a lot longer to open the solution to an existing application than I was used to in previous VS. A new application can also take much longer than I've been used to.

This machine: i7 processor, 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM, 2Tb HDD

If VS has been in use very recently, restarting it will be much faster, especially if it's the same application.

Not sure this is any help, but adds weight to your thread.

Poppa.
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.

You don't want to know.

It's hard to say if 2 minutes is "unacceptable" on a given machine. VS performance is all over the place. My experience is VS 2017 is faster than *most* versions of Visual Studio I've used. I just got a new machine, that's made VS 2017 a lot faster. My typical project load time is 10-15 seconds. But on my last machine:

• VS 2010 took 2-3 minutes to *start up*, and then at least 1 more to load my project.
    • VS 2013 took 1-2 minutes to start up, and loaded projects in 30 seconds.

That was a relatively new i7 with 16 GB of RAM.

But then on my home machine, with 8 GB of RAM and an old Intel Core Duo, I found both to be snappier. The difference? My home machine has an SSD rather than a spinny drive.

Was your laptop expensive, or was it reasonable? The more on the 'reasonable' side it is, the more likely it's using a slow-as-heck 5200 RPM hard drive. VS has to open and manipulate thousands of files when dealing with moderately complex projects. Slow hard drives brought my i7 rig to it knees, and my underpowered Mac Mini runs circles around it.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

An SSD will make loads of difference. "Spinny" (LOL) drives are cheaper and usually are included in many prebuilt / configured systems. This weekend I hope to have my new system up and running so I can say what start up times Im getting on 2017.

If you had a previous version of VS on the same system that would be the control to compare against
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I built a new system just to get an SSD. That had nothing to do with VS, though, but the load time of a different program....or ALL programs, I suppose.

My performance for 2017 on an MSD (Moving State Drive) is kind of all over the board, too. This may have to do with caching, but my own startup time isn't very consistent in the mornings, either, so I don't necessarily notice a slow load from VS2017. The desktop comes up pretty quickly, but I KNOW that isn't the end of it, so the first few programs I launch I don't expect much. I feel like I do get VS2017 to launch in no more than 30 seconds once all that morning nonsense is out of the way, though I've never paid any particular attention to it, and certainly haven't timed it. I've seen two minute load times, as well.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Thank you all....1---yeah, 'reasonable' is a good way to describe this HP laptop (Think it was around $750 USD). 2-The more I have been playing with it, the more I see 'all over the place' start-up times. 3- As I am really only practicing (following an online set of tutorials to familiarize myself with the language), none of my 'projects' are large (very miniscule, AAMOF)---just wondering if it will fluctuate 'worse' as I develop larger projects, multi-form, databases, etc. Probably not. 4-Am 'glad' to see that others experience similar long start-up times (from VS start to starting a new/current project)---just so I know there is nothing really 'wrong' with my installation, and if I needed to do something to fix it.
    5-I'll mark it as Resolved. Again, thanks for the input...back to my tutorial....

Sammi

Re: [RESOLVED] Slow VS 2017 startup

As far as I can tell, the startup has nothing to do with the solution itself. Up to roughly framework 4.0 (VS2010) there were substantial additions to the language with each version. Version 2 added generics, 3.5 added LINQ and Lambdas, 4 added Tasks...and the versions past that added things useful mainly in tiny niche areas. Those later additions were something, but they were something that most people wouldn't need every day and new users wouldn't see at all.

Still, there has to be some reason to upgrade, and that has been the IDE itself. LOADS of stuff were added with each version. This had nothing to do with any particular language, it had to do with how the IDE operated and how you were able to work with the code. When you look at VS2017, note that there are three rails in the slide bar, each of which can show more than one thing. There are also other lines and icons sprinkled around. All of this is graphics intensive. Therefore, VS is beginning to resemble a game in that there is a whole bunch of setup going on ahead of time to smooth the flow of the graphics once things do get going.

Another point is that MS knows that VS is a bit slow. Therefore, you'll see banner notices every now and then when you start up. The banner notice is along the lines of, "We've noticed that a tool window X is slowing Visual Studio."

That seems really useful...at first. After all, it means that they are measuring performance, and alerting you to anything that is slowing things down. Unfortunately, everything that has been noted on my installation, thus far, has been fundamentally useful items that I'd be nuts to turn off. Today it is the "Error List". Even if I turned that off, I'd certainly want to see it again, and would get it automatically under certain conditions. So, who cares whether it is slowing things down??

I suppose that, if you turned off everything that they detect as slowing things down, it would just find the next slowest thing to report until it finally comes up with "VS" as the thing that is slowing down the load.

You don't want to know.

My personal favorite was commonplace in VS 2010. It was a *modal* dialog that informed me, "Visual Studio is waiting for a background task to complete."
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

The madness have I read in this thread!!! How on God's green Earth does VS take 2 minutes to start ? Typically, VS starts within 7 seconds for me and that includes opening solutions.

However, I do notice that VS takes longer to start the more recent it is but I have never seen it take 2 minutes to start. I think there might be serious problems on PCs where it takes that long to start up.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

It would be really great if there was some actual benchmarking done by someone or website. Different VS versions on the same machine, probably on separate virtual machines to create a control. Then evaluate the startup times and resources used starting up to its completion etc I would be highly interested to see that. Im thinking of staying at VS2015 for now
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

An SSD makes a HUGE difference with these things, too.

I have an SSD in mine (for the OS drive only but the data drive is a spinney 10K rpm drive lol) and its not terrible for VS 2010 but when I finish my new system today or tomorrow and get it loaded I can test what 2017 loads like with a 1/2 TB SSD

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Guess I need to jump back in....yes, I have (and still do) experience(d) a 2 minute wait time...BUT, NORMALLY, now that I am using it repeatedly during a given day, the wait times for starting a New, or opening an Old, project is varying between about 20 to 35 seconds. When I restart my computer (MS MAKES me do that a lot!!!!!), and try to start a project (when my Disk is running 95-100%), that is when I see that 2-minute deal. So, realizing not to have a whole bunch of other stuff going on when I start VS, I really don't have an issue with the 'small' wait time.

I'd be concerned if you have to restart your computer repeatedly, though there may be nothing you can do about that.

I guess I'm derailing the thread, so I'll recuse myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    Guess I need to jump back in....yes, I have (and still do) experience(d) a 2 minute wait time...BUT, NORMALLY, now that I am using it repeatedly during a given day, the wait times for starting a New, or opening an Old, project is varying between about 20 to 35 seconds. When I restart my computer (MS MAKES me do that a lot!!!!!), and try to start a project (when my Disk is running 95-100%), that is when I see that 2-minute deal. So, realizing not to have a whole bunch of other stuff going on when I start VS, I really don't have an issue with the 'small' wait time.
    Could it be that starting up VS after a reboot and windows is still loading things behind the scenes is where the delay comes from?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I just tried again, it's 00.45, the Lappy's been running for hours.
    VS2017 took about 45 seconds to open ready to select a project, and the simple one I opened took almost 29 seconds... A vast improvement on the last time I timed it, however...

As a result of another thread a couple of days ago I had cause to remember to take a look at how many other applications were opening in standby when my machine starts up and was dismayed at how many had snuck-in unnoticed, maybe as many as twenty! and that'd be in about two months because I'd forgotten to check. Actually my favourite app. for doing that stopped working after a MS 'upgrade' about February!

Anyway... I noticed a vast improvement in start-up times for most app's thereafter... (I've added a check to my 'once-a-week' ToDo list.)

Poppa.
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.