Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hoist

Re: Hoist

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    I feel the counterweight is not needed.

When I look at the drawing in post #16 I see that you are now lifting a "square" of wood.

The most important thing is to keep this "square" in that shape.

The standard way to do this is to put a "Z" like brace from the lower right corner to the upper left corner.

Code:
    oxxxxxxxxxxx
    |   x      x
    |   xx     x
    |   x  x   x
    %   x    x x
        x     xx
        xxxxxxxx
    Yea I suggested that in #15 as I think an "X" would be the most structurally safe. Perhaps if the wood in the lift area that is susceptible to friction is painted and greased up then the friction can be dramatically reduced
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I did not read most of the posts - sorry

I also thought an "X" might be better - K (or V) bracing will work also and not have the intersection problem of X bracing...

Might be better to use 2x2 oak for this "box" and the "extended" arm as well.

For friction you can purchase Teflon runners that are used for drawers...
    Last edited by szlamany; Jun 18th, 2017 at 02:52 PM.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I did not read most of the posts - sorry

I also thought an "X" might be better - K (or V) bracing will work also and not have the intersection problem of X bracing...

Might be better to use 2x2 oak for this "box" and the "extended" arm as well.

For friction you can purchase Teflon runners that are used for drawers...
    Teflon is a great idea and cleaner than grease
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Fanatic Member

Did any of you read where I said that I am only going to lift the load for 6 to 8 inches? I can even reduce that to 3 to 4 inches for all that's concerned. I don't think that an X or any bracing of that sort is needed as I have 6 horizontal cross pieces for additional support so that alone prevents the four vertical uprights from moving not to mention that the vertical uprights are supported between four 4 x 4's at the bottom. As far as reducing friction I have given thought to 1)staining the wood with a polyurethane product, like MinWax PolyShades stain which leaves a hard very slick and smooth surface 2) gluing thin strips of stainless steel in the sliding area which I already have on hand. I don't think the hoist is going to tilt either as it has a 40" x 80" base and the hoist itself is very very heavy

Note: If reinforcing the extended arm becomes necessary I have given thought to placing a 3/4" galvanized pipe on the top and/or bottom of the arm
    Last edited by Code Dummy; Jun 18th, 2017 at 05:14 PM.

The base of the hoist is going to keep it from tilting. I agree with your there.

From my view the whole point of the counter weight is to stop the "lift square" from racking - twisting under the weight of the lift arm.

That same problem can be addressed with either bracing (Z, X, K or V) or cabling the corners to each other. Transferring of the force from the lift arm to the lower right corner of the square.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Fanatic Member

From my view the whole point of the counter weight is to stop the "lift square" from racking - twisting under the weight of the lift arm.
    No, the counter weight is to balance the lift load so that the arm does not start to lean in a downward direction

Quote Originally Posted by Code Dummy View Post
    No, the counter weight is to balance the lift load so that the arm does not start to lean in a downward direction
    How in the world does putting weight on something stop the weight on the other side from wanting to bring something down?

The whole unit is not going to tilt due to the long extended base - right?

If you are looking to spread the "weight" of the load I believe adding the one Z brace I indicated will do exactly that.

It's how yard gates and barn doors stay square.

I'm still trying hard to understand how that counter weight would do the same thing...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Fanatic Member

I believe this should give you an idea
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Code Dummy; Jun 19th, 2017 at 10:32 AM.

Frenzied Member

I still don't see what you have against a pulley, winch, comealong, etc that several of us have suggested. Given your side view above, the CG would be within the wheelbase. Your current lifting arm could also act as the top brace piece you show. Pulley or whatever out on the end of the arm. No need for any counterweights, springs, jacks, slides, etc. KISS

Fanatic Member

Why don't you draw a picture no matter how terrible it is and show me what you are talking about. I can't have any over hanging devices (like a winch mounted on the ceiling)

The point of the counter weight was to keep the center of gravity inside the square formed by the wheels based on the pictures shown in the original post. In that picture, the weight was outside the square formed by the wheels. In the picture in post #48, the weight is inside the square formed by the wheels, so no counter weight is needed.

There's no need to worry about the shift shown in picture #48, because it's impossible. After all, just to draw the picture, you are showing two lengths of wood that are the same length extending between the load arm and the bar where the jack is located. In the second picture, those two lengths of wood are no longer the same length. For that to even be possible, one of those beams would have to stretch (that won't happen), or one of the beams would have to compress (that would result in total, explosive, failure of the beam).

My comments were based on the original picture. If you build the picture in #48, then a counterweight doesn't do anything except change the forces on various attachment points and members. You mentioned that you were using 2x4s and that the weight was 150 lbs (roughly). The load arm may have to be heavier than that, but probably not, unless it's really long. If the white circles in the pictures are bolts rather than screws, I doubt the forces on the system will be an issue. Some of those bolts will see a strain greater than 150 lbs, but that's the worst of it.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I'm going to make my point again.

I like your "lift-a-square-with-beam-on-top" drawing in post #16.

Here is your square with beam - with no weight on it. This is what you are lifting in the FRAME and STAND you have built.

Code:
    oxxxxxxxxxxx
    |   x      x
    |   x      x
    |   x      x
        x      x
        x      x
        xxxxxxxx
    When you apply weight to it it's going to want to distort like this:

Code:
    oxxxxxxxxxxx
    |   x      x
    |    x      x
    |     x      x
    %      x      x
            x      x
             xxxxxxxx
    Since this square is being lifted in a "frame" it's going to get tighter and not want to slide.

The typical way to reduce some on this force is to brace the "square" into staying a square - forcing it to stay in shape.

Code:
    oxxxxxxxxxxx
    |   x      x
    |   xx     x
    |   x  x   x
    %   x    x x
        x     xx
        xxxxxxxx
    Here I showed just the Z bracing. X bracing would be more complete.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

Why don't you draw a picture no matter how terrible it is and show me what you are talking about. I can't have any over hanging devices (like a winch mounted on the ceiling)
    Here's a hack on your drawing. I added a crossbrace though I think a sharper angle (e.g., 45) would be even better. A plywood sheet screwed to the entire side would be best. No way that would shift under load. Frankly, I don't think you need any reduction for just lifting 130 lbs max a few inches unless you don't weigh much so I just showed 2 simple pulleys for no reduction but you could design in other pulleys to make it easier. Just tie off rope somewhere on the vertical support (e.g., like a flagpole).

Name:  Hoist.png
Views: 231
Size:  27.2 KB

With topshot's picture you WOULD add a counter weight IF you decided to shorten the "bottom beam".

I would take that cross brace and cut it in half and put a horizontal member at the mid point of the large vertical space - so that you had TWO cross braces

Code:
    xxxxxxxxx
    x      xx
    x    x  x
    x  x    x
    xx      x
    xxxxxxxxx
    x      xx
    x    x  x
    x  x    x
    xx      x
    xxxxxxxXX

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

With topshot's picture you WOULD add a counter weight IF you decided to shorten the "bottom beam".
    Correct. If the hanging weight is outside the wheelbase (like the original pictures posted in #1), you need a counterweight to be safe. Technically your fulcrum point would then be the left wheels so you'd still be OK for a little while since the wood to the right of them weighs a fair bit, but why flirt with trouble. What if you tried to do 150 instead of 130? Or you knocked the thing so it swung even further out?

I'd be inclined to at least add a couple more pulleys. 150 lbs is not so easy to lift straight up. If you weight more than that, then you could tie a loop in the one end and stand on it to lift the weight. You'd then have to remain standing on it while you tied it off. A simple cleat would be good for the tie off, but there would be so much weight on it that it would be hard to let the weight down. It wouldn't be so easy to tie off, either, with a cleat. Another option would be a hook. You could stand in the loop to push it down to the hook, hook the loop, then get off. To lower the weight, you'd have to stand in the loop again, and it wouldn't be so easy at 150 lbs. A few more pulleys would cut that to a much more manageable weight.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Frenzied Member

A potential issue with my design would be you definitely want to chock at least a couple wheels since the hoist would tend to want to move as you were pulling the rope unless you were pulling straight down perhaps.

Fanatic Member

Not shown in picture but all four casters are locking type.

Using your design means I have to pull on rope and basically lift 130 lbs. How do you arrange pulleys to eliminate that.

Not shown in picture but all four casters are locking type.

Using your design means I have to pull on rope and basically lift 130 lbs. How do you arrange pulleys to eliminate that.
    Each time you add a pulley and loop the rope you double the travel and halve the effort.

You can still use your jack - it's just got to move a rope somehow...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

Google is your friend. This should get you started. There are tons of ways you could set it up.

I was going to suggest taking out the security guard, but I misread the title.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    I was going to suggest taking out the security guard, but I misread the title.
    So now we've had HOLST and HEIST.
    Seems like we've got some eye infections .. and it isn't even winter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12