Thread: Windows 10 PC Sleep Mode issue

Lively Member

Windows 10 PC Sleep Mode issue

So I have been having an issue lately. Where when my PC goes to sleep, it sometimes will not wake up properly. What happens is, when I go to click on the mouse, you can hear the hardware components kick in (Fan(s), Hard Drive etc.) but the Video display does not update. It's as if there is no signal? It stays like that until you manually power off the computer by holding down the power button. At that point, the PC will boot up into Windows with a video display as normal, but there are Hard Drive issues that need repairing. BIOS sometimes will automatically scan and repair the drive on start-up usually before booting into the OS. Sometimes BIOS will not initiate the repair, but Windows will after booting the OS.

Now there has not been any catastrophic errors; and this does not happen all the time, but it happens occasionally, and I am afraid of what it will do to my Hard Drive over time. I tried disabling sleep mode. However, eventually Windows will put sleep mode back on by itself and the problem happens again when I get home from work!

Has anybody had this issue?

Specs:

Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit
    Intel core i7 3770
    12 GB Ram
    1.5 TB HD (SATA ) (don't remember speed....)
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1080

PowerPoster

Re: Windows 10 PC Sleep Mode issue

These problems used to pop up every time there was a new Windows OS. It seems it takes some time for the manufacturers and MS to iron out the driver issues. I thought once you could choose between ACPI or APM depending on whether windows was more compatible with either api in the BIOS.

With windows 10 - you can now enjoy the driver issues more frequently.

Also - you should be able to just press your Power button once (don't hold it in) And if windows is feeling good about it - it will do a normal shutdown.
    But that might only work when windows and the BIOS are happy talking.

I would complain to either the Motherboard or Video Card Manufacturer.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by DEXWERX View Post
    Also - you should be able to just press your Power button once (don't hold it in) And if windows is feeling good about it - it will do a normal shutdown.
    But that might only work when windows and the BIOS are happy talking.
    Yea, I did try that first before resorting to holding the power button. However after a minute of waiting there did not seem to be a response. I suppose it might be a motherboard issue? With no video you would think the issue is the card, but with no response to a normal shut down request maybe it is the board. I'm not sure though. In any case a new driver update came out for the card that I have yet to install. Perhaps that might make a difference. I will try that first.

My current system doesnt wake up from sleep some times but no signs of any interaction with the system when I use my mouse or keyboard. I have to do a hard reset and lose my work etc. Its been this way since Windows 7 and now Im on windows 10 and it hasnt happened. Although it not going to sleep is another related issue which is still happening on windows 10. Same hardware and have been updating drivers and windows updates for years to no avail. I wonder if its some hardware conflict that just isnt going to be solved by a driver update.

Im building a new system and almost done this week it looks. Loading windows 10 and will post up if the new hardware solved the problem
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Sinecure devotee

I thought it was only a laptop issue with Win10. I've had the same thing happen a number of times and is quite frustrating.
    Especially if I may have been working on something, and the Soft shutdown with the momentary press of the power button won't work because whatever task I may have been in the middle of has probably shown a dialog announcing I'm going to loose work if I don't save it and prevents the computer from shutting down (gracefully), but I can't respond since I can't see the dialog.
    I think if I have an HDMI monitor that I can unplug and plug in, and open the lid and close it so that the display configuration changes I can get the display to come back.
    But, I also think I've finally got it configured to not go into sleep mode as long as I have it plugged in so haven't had to deal with it for a while.

Sleep is overrated and does nothing but cause problems
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Well I used to have the same problem with my desktop. But later on I just turned it off whenever I did not use it. Now im using mac and its a lot better imo.

Lively Member

I guess I'm not the only one with the problem. In my particular case I think the issue is probably the HD. I don't think it is responding when the computer wakes up. Hence no display. I mean, if the PC is in sleep state, then it would likely resume in the OS where it left off. Which means that it would need to access the drive. Im going to download seatools to analyze the drive for issues. Anybody else who has this issue may want to do the same.

By the way passel, how did you manage to get Windows 10 to stop sleeping? Every time I disable it in settings it turns itself back on!

Sinecure devotee

I'm not 100% sure. It seems like it took quite a while to get it to stop. Of course I have a laptop and it sounds like you're talking about a desktop machine so I don't know if the settings differ. Also it seems like there is overlap of the settings on different dialog, and if you change one it changes the other, but it would still go to sleep. I right clicked on the desktop and selected Personalize and then Lock Screen, then Screen timeout settings, which got me to the Power & Sleep dialog, which is also accessible through the Display Settings dialog I think. I then went to "Additonal power settings" under Related settings and selected Edit Plan Settings and under the Plugged in column selected to Never Turn off the display and Never put the computer to sleep.
    On that same dialog there is the "Change advanced power settings", which include the two just changed, but a lot of additional hardware related settings. I don't think I had to change anything there, but perhaps I did.

I did discover last night that I'm starting to get the same behavior on another laptop, but I think it is Firefox that is causing the problem. I must have turned off the automatic advance of video play in the browser, so rather than automatically advancing to the next video in a list, the browser just sits at the end of whatever video it was showing. I'm thinking that the browser is blanking the screen if the video playback is paused for a long length of time, and when that happens, I can't get the display to come back. Plugging and unplugging a HDMI monitor or opening or closing the lid doesn't seem to work. I haven't found a way to recover from that situation other than forcing the power down. Momentarily pressing the power button to do a soft shutdown doesn't work in that state either.

Just my luck, wouldnt wake up from sleep mode yesterday. Turned monitors off and on and just got the no input signal but the computer was working hard doing "stuff". Had to force a reboot and lost my work. Its getting farther and farther inbetween but still happening

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Now its happening more frequent again. Twice this week.

What I noticed is that if I am real patient and just wait for something to happen, it eventually does a reboot on its own. There has to be some error thats being thrown. No hard drive activity either, maybe thats the error. It cant revive the hard drive session image

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Frenzied Member

If you held a gun to my head, I still would not use Sleep or Hibernation.
    Keep it Simple = Less things can go wrong

I've used Hibernation for years on Win7 with a normal HDD.
    On my new Win10 laptop with a SSD the start/shutdown times are so fast that I don't use Sleep or Hibernation anymore.