Thread: [RESOLVED] SQL Query SELECT data with multiple fields and only get the maximum for one value.

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] SQL Query SELECT data with multiple fields and only get the maximum for one value.

Hello:

I am writing a query to get specific info from a table.
    Code:
    SELECT VariableID, RevisionNo, ValueText + ', ' AS 'data()'
      FROM [MultipleApproval].[dbo].[VariableValue]
      WHERE VariableID = 56 OR VariableID=63 OR VariableID=68
    The code above produces the following table.
    Name:  2017-06-12_16-32-22.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  16.5 KB

Everything is going as expected. However, I would like to not have #1 show up, since I am only interest in the latest RevisionNo for the VariableID. The system does not like to do MAX unless only one field is selected, so I need another way to return this.

Note, there is only one table, so I cannot use JOIN logic.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Re: SQL Query SELECT data with multiple fields and only get the maximum for one value

First, you select the max RevisionNo for each VariableID:
    Code:
    Select VariableID, MAX(RevisionNo) As MaxRev 
    from VariableValue
    Group by VariableID
    Now you use that as part of an inner select and join back to the table to get what you want:

Code:
    Select V.VariableID, V.RevisionNo, V.[Data()]
    from VariableValue V
    inner join (Select VariableID, MAX(RevisionNo) As MaxRev 
                    from VariableValue
                    Group by VariableID)RV 
         on V.VariableID = RV.VariableID and V.RevisionNo = RV.MaxRev
    -tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Fanatic Member

Re: SQL Query SELECT data with multiple fields and only get the maximum for one value

Hello:

First off, thank you for your replies to this post.

It is my understanding that I can add INNER JOINS to INNER JOINS. I am struggling a little with this because I am unsure where the parenthesis go. Some examples show them right before FROM, with multiple left parenthesis to cover each INNER JOIN. The problem is, I do not seem to be able to get this to work.

Below is a query I have written, just to see what it does. The second to last right parenthesis is erroring out. Can you tell me what I am missing?

Code:
    SELECT DISTINCT F.[Filename]
      FROM MultipleApproval.dbo.Documents F
      INNER JOIN (SELECT DocumentID
                  FROM MultipleApproval.dbo.VariableValue) V
                  ON V.DocumentID = F.DocumentID
                  INNER JOIN (SELECT V2.ValueText + ', ' AS 'data()'
                              FROM [MultipleApproval].[dbo].[VariableValue] V2
                              INNER JOIN (SELECT VariableID, MAX(RevisionNo) As MaxRev 
                                          GROUP BY VariableID) RV 
                                          ON V2.VariableID = RV.VariableID AND V2.RevisionNo = RV.MaxRev
                                          WHERE V2.VariableID=56 OR V2.VariableID=63 OR V2.VariableID=68
                                         )
                             )
    	     )			  
                  --FOR XML PATH('')
    Thanks again, for any syntactical things I might come to understand from this.

You're missing two things... 1) an alias for the sub query and what to join on... it would help if you re-adjusted your indents so that things that go together are indented similar...
    But you're missing the ON clause between one of the joins... it's hard to tell because the indents don't fit my COD tendencies... (ODC, but in alpha-order as it should be).

Give me a few and I'll see if I can straighten it out.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

OK... as far as I can tell you had TWO extra parens on the end... no alias for the one sub query and no join condition for it either...
    here it is re-formatted based on how you wrote it (it may still not be right)... and I've marked the missing alias and join condition.
    Code:
                            GROUP BY VariableID) RV 
                ) [ADD ALIAS] on [ADD YOUR JOIN CONDITION HERE]
    -tg

Fanatic Member

I removed all three parenthesis, as they are redundant. There is still a syntax error after the 68 on line 12.

Code:
                                          GROUP BY VariableID) RV 
                              WHERE V2.VariableID=56 OR V2.VariableID=63 OR V2.VariableID=68 (errors here now)
                  --FOR XML PATH('')

Fanatic Member

Just curious, what other join conditions do I need?

OI... I said you had TWO extra parens, so you deleted three? I showed what you needed... you need to make the final select query a sub query by encasing it in parens ... that means one ( at the front (you have that) and onr ) at the end (which you had, but deleted) ... and then you need to alias it... give it a name ... and then you need to give it the condition on which to join to the other tables...
    You did it successfully with the join between F and V, so I'm not sure what the problem here is...

-tg

Fanatic Member

I think I got it, so thanks for now!! I guess I need to add something I don't really need.

Code:
    SELECT DISTINCT V.DocumentID, F.[Filename], V.VariableID
      INNER JOIN (SELECT DocumentID, VariableID
                  FROM MultipleApproval.dbo.VariableValue
    			 ) V
                                            GROUP BY VariableID
    									 ) RV 
                             ) X ON F.DocumentID=V.DocumentID
                  --FOR XML PATH('')

What do you mean? What did you need to add?

Wait... you have the X sub-query in there, but you never use it in the join condition?!!!??? You just rejoin F to V, which is already done from the first inner join.

Nor do you use it anywhere in the result. It's going to give you a cartesian result...
    So why do you even need that second join if you're not joining that data to anything or using its results in any fashion?
    You could probably cut it out and still get the same results.

-tg

Fanatic Member

The second join is on the same table. The goal in an attempt to only show the latest revision. I am still playing with it, but I have lost it since making the query more complete.

Current results.
    Name:  2017-06-14_14-06-31.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  175.7 KB

Original Query.
    Code:
    SELECT V.ValueText + ', ' AS 'data()'
    FROM VariableValue V
                FROM VariableValue
                GROUP BY VariableID)RV 
      ON V.VariableID = RV.VariableID AND V.RevisionNo = RV.MaxRev
    WHERE V.VariableID=56 OR V.VariableID=63 OR V.VariableID=68
      FOR XML PATH('')
    Let me know if you have any thoughts? I'm sure most people know more about this than I.

Ok... so there's more to it than originally posted... I'm intrigued enough hang in there and help you through this
    It's the end of hte day and I've got a 60+ minute commute ahead of me (yuck).
    If you can, post the tables involved VariableValue and Documents, and any others that might be needed. DO NOT POST screenshots of the data or table defs... type them out...
    If possible, something simple like this:
    Code:
    VariableValue
    -----------
    ID - int - Id of the field - autonumber
    VariableID - int - Identifies the variable value
    RevisionNo - int - revision number of the variable
    and so on... note which columns relate to fields in other columns... Once I know the table format you're dealing with, I think I'll be able to help better.

-tg

Fanatic Member

TG:

Hope your commute is ok. I have an hour as well.

Below are the two full tables. We don't care about too ma many of the fields.

The data in ValueText is what we are after. For values 64-68, we want to pull Values 52-56 respectively if the value is no, and the initial corresponding value is not NULL. There is one result for each document, and we want the latest rev only with regard to this document.

No rush. I'm evolving through this myself, one step at a time. Sorry for not pulling the full scope in.

I've also been reading books on Safari as I go though this. If you know of a really good one to reference, let me know.

Thanks,

Steve Anderson

Table 1: VariableValue
    PK VariableID int
    PK DocumentID int
    PK ProjectID int
    PK RevisionNo int
    PK ConfigurationID int
    ValueText nvarchar(MAX)
    ValueInt int
    ValueFloat float
    ValueDate datetime
    ValueCache nvarchar(64)
    IsLongText bit

Table 2: Documents
    PK DocumentID int
    Fielname nvarchar(255)
    LockProject int
    UserID int
    LockDomain nvarchar(255)
    LockPath nvarchar(255)
    Busy bit
    Flushed int
    DevValStored int
    RevGenCounter int
    LatestRevisionNo int
    CurrentStatusID int
    WorkingVersionModified bit
    ExtensionID int
    LockDate datetime
    UserDocRefsModified bit
    Deleted bit
    Shared int
    LockViewID uniqueidentifier
    Link bit
    DocTypeID int
    ObjectTypeID int
    Flags int

Fanatic Member

Hello:

Just out of curiousity, ValueText is not null! This returns nothing...

Code:
    SELECT ValueText + ', ' AS 'data()'
      FROM [MultipleApproval].[dbo].[VariableValue] S1
      WHERE ValueText IS NOT NULL

Fanatic Member

Hello again:

I am writing to report that this is causing insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I think I'm getting close, and then I am back to ground zero.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts.... I'm going to read some more books.
    Code:
    SELECT F.DocumentID, F.[Filename], V.VariableID, V.ValueText, V.RevisionNo
      INNER JOIN (SELECT DocumentID, VariableID, ValueText, RevisionNo
    			 ) V
      INNER JOIN (SELECT MAX(RevisionNo) As MaxRev 
    			 ) V2
                  ON V.RevisionNo = V2.MaxRev
    			  WHERE 1=1
    Code:
    SELECT F.DocumentID, F.[Filename]
      INNER JOIN (SELECT DocumentID, VariableID, ValueText, RevisionNo, MAX(RevisionNo) as MaxRev
    			  GROUP BY DocumentID, VariableID
    			 ) V
    			 ON V.DocumentID = F.DocumentID AND V.RevisionNo = V.MaxRev
                 WHERE 1=1

Fanatic Member

Hello again.

So I think I've finally made some progress. I need to add a column to the mix for the user.

ValueText 64 corresponds to ValueText 52
    ValueText 65 corresponds to ValueText 53
    ValueText 66 corresponds to ValueText 54
    ValueText 67 corresponds to ValueText 55
    ValueText 68 corresponds to ValueText 56

You can see in the query below, that these values are hardcoded...

Code:
    SELECT DISTINCT F.[Filename], F.LatestRevisionNo, 'Not Approved' AS Approved
    			 ) V
      INNER JOIN (SELECT RevisionNo
    			 ) V2
                  ON V.RevisionNo = F.LatestRevisionNo
    			  WHERE (V.VariableID=52 AND V.ValueText <> 'Yes') OR V.VariableID <> 52
    			  OR (V.VariableID=53 AND V.ValueText <> 'Yes') OR V.VariableID <> 53
    			  OR (V.VariableID=54 AND V.ValueText <> 'Yes') OR V.VariableID <> 54
    			  OR (V.VariableID=55 AND V.ValueText <> 'Yes') OR V.VariableID <> 55
    			  OR (V.VariableID=56 AND V.ValueText <> 'Yes') OR V.VariableID <> 56
    And produce this information.
    Name:  2017-06-16_8-28-47.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  19.8 KB

I need to add the fourth column to show the ValueText values for 64 through 68. I will thus need to have multiple columns show up for each filename. Right now, using SELECT DISTINCT reduces the number of rows from 297 to 2. I do not want to show 297 rows. However, I will need to show in this case, two rows for one of two parts based on values existing for 67 and 68 on DocumentID 3.

A pic of the data table is below.
    Name:  2017-06-16_8-30-00.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  53.2 KB
    Last edited by ssabc; Jun 16th, 2017 at 08:31 AM.

Fanatic Member

Please let me know if I've provided enough information on this. Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

I thought I had it... then you added more info... then I lost it.... O.o

It looks like for each VariableID/DocumentID/ProjectID, you need the Max Revision ID, use that to get the Value text, then possibly pivot it to get it all into a row, rather than cols...

-tg

It also sounds like you have some cases where some variables might be dependant on the values of others.

-tg

Fanatic Member

TJ:

My apology if it appears this thing keeps changing. The problem is, I only asked specific information in the beginning, thinking that if I understood that, I would understand the rest. Also, there has been a little evolution involved as well.

I am looking to output the following:

Document.Filename, Document.LatestRevisionNo, VariableValue.ValueText (64 thru 68) for Approver and Variable.Value (52 thru 56) for Approved. I only want to see the data when VariableValue (64 thru 68) IN NOT NULL or blank (length=0), and Variable.Value (52 thru 56) = No.

64 has a value and 52 = No
    65 has a value and 53 = No
    66 has a value and 54 = No
    67 has a value and 55 = No
    68 has a value and 56 = No

The other trouble is that this data which lives in rows, needs to be outputted in Columns. Some people have suggested creating a temporary table to read from, but it is my understanding that this is not a good practice, and can't SQL queries accomplish this?

Thank you for all your help, and let me know what you think.

Hello,

I hope tg. doesn't mind me logging in to this problem.

I do this in quit a few situations I like to call then 'DummyTables'....
    Some people have suggested creating a temporary table to read from
    as you can use Dispose of the Table when you dont need it an more.

If the Sql-Query in Post#2 is correct then place this in a new Table and work from there
    in the new 'DummyTable' if you need Columns for further Information then add them so
    that you could place values with a 'insert into'

I know this approach may for some people sound stupid but
    to execute multiple Sql-Statements to get the answer you want isn't new

well that is my advice

regards
    Chris

Fanatic Member

Hello:

I think the solution is this simple!

Code:
    SELECT DISTINCT F.DocumentID, F.[Filename], F.LatestRevisionNo, V.ValueText, 'Not Approved' AS Approved
    			 ) V
      INNER JOIN (SELECT RevisionNo
    			 ) V2
                  ON V.RevisionNo = F.LatestRevisionNo
    			  WHERE (V.VariableID = 52 AND V.ValueText <> 'Yes') OR (V.VariableID = 64)
    			  OR (V.VariableID = 53 AND V.ValueText <> 'Yes') OR (V.VariableID = 65)
    			  OR (V.VariableID = 54 AND V.ValueText <> 'Yes') OR (V.VariableID = 66)
    			  OR (V.VariableID = 55 AND V.ValueText <> 'Yes') OR (V.VariableID = 67)
    			  OR (V.VariableID = 56 AND V.ValueText <> 'Yes') OR (V.VariableID = 68)
    Thanks for all your help, everyone!