Thread: Inno Setup for VB System Files

Inno Setup for VB System Files

Hi there,
    In following the advice from this venerable topic, from here the first number is ignored as Inno Setup no longer supports Windows 95/98/Me. So if the app can be run on Win NT or 2000 we can put:
    Code:
    OnlyBelowVersion: 0,4
    Now the problem is with OLEAUT32 and OLEPRO32 in the 2004 SP6 files linked above.

Code:
    OLEPRO32 (this machine): ver 5.0 4522.0
    OLEPRO32 (2004 SP6): ver 5.0 4275.1
    Thinking it's alright to pack my version.
    But with the OLEAUT32 there appears to be different versions of that all the way up to w10. Should I bother with it at all?
    The other files in the link will replace the ones currently used in the package. Are the flags Inno Setup suggest still valid?
    Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by lmstearn; Jun 7th, 2017 at 08:43 AM.

PowerPoster

Re: Inno Setup for VB System Files

Stop using No-No Setup. It's a great way to break users' machines. Find a respectable installation technology, one with fewer knives mounted on the dashboard pointing at the driver.

As far as VB6 runtime libraries go they are preinstalled from Windows 2000 SP3 forward, protected and serviced by Windows Update as part of the OS. Even a Windows 95 machine that ever had IE 4.1 or later installed already has them. They do not need to be deployed at all.

Is that a $respectable installation tech? Still waiting for any suggestions.
    Edit: Thanks, have forwarded the installers issue onto the correct forum.
    Last edited by lmstearn; Jun 8th, 2017 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante
    Stop using No-No Setup.
    Is there something wrong with Inno Setup on XP+ ?
    I used it one time, but not checked if it breaks any system files.
    Malware analyst, VirusNet developer, HiJackThis+ author || my CodeBank works

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Dragokas View Post
    Is there something wrong with Inno Setup on XP+ ?
    I used it one time, but not checked if it breaks any system files.
    The issue with Inno is that it by default it includes all dependencies, including ones that are built-in.
    It seems to have no intelligence to not to include dependencies that are part of the OS.

Accepted.
    It's pity, I like its simple scripting syntax.
    Need to break a bit Inno intelligence somehow

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

Thread Moved to Application Deployment
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

gibra

Quote Originally Posted by DEXWERX View Post
    The issue with Inno is that it by default it includes all dependencies, including ones that are built-in.
    No. By default InnoSetup install nothing.
    InnoSetup install only the files that you include in the script.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by gibra View Post
    No. By default InnoSetup install nothing.
    InnoSetup install only the files that you include in the script.
    You're totally right!
    By default inno is a blank script! - then a user can use the Script Wizard, and check off all the dependencies used in their project, to create a new script.

Think what Dilettante is saying do not place them on Vista or later systems.
    Code:
    Source: "vbfiles\stdole2.tlb"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: restartreplace uninsneveruninstall sharedfile regtypelib; OnlyBelowVersion: 0,6.0.6000
    Source: "vbfiles\msvbvm60.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: restartreplace uninsneveruninstall sharedfile regserver; OnlyBelowVersion: 0,6.0.6000
    Source: "vbfiles\oleaut32.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: restartreplace uninsneveruninstall sharedfile regserver; OnlyBelowVersion: 0,6.0.6000
    Source: "vbfiles\olepro32.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: restartreplace uninsneveruninstall sharedfile regserver; OnlyBelowVersion: 0,6.0.6000
    Source: "vbfiles\asycfilt.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: restartreplace uninsneveruninstall sharedfile; OnlyBelowVersion: 0,6.0.6000
    Source: "vbfiles\comcat.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: restartreplace uninsneveruninstall sharedfile regserver; OnlyBelowVersion: 0,6.0.6000
    In the above version the OnlyBelowVersion comes after the Flags condition. Wonder if the code in the 10 year old article broke something and wants an edit?
    Last edited by lmstearn; Jun 10th, 2017 at 06:37 AM.

PowerPoster

Where is user32.dll and kernel32.dll ?

(I'm being facetious)

That article is far too old, even though the info is 10 years old - it's for even older operating systems.
    What you could do is check a good image of the earliest OS you want to support, and check what dll's are already there and updated.

things like stdole2.tlb / oleaut32 / olepro32! shouldn't be included in modern NT versions of Windows.

PowerPoster

The problem is that it does whatever you put in the script, little more and no less.

What happens a lot is that people grab "recipe" scripts off the Interwebs and use them. Most of these are horribly flawed.

All too often they try to deploy copies of things they shouldn't, or deploy to wacky folders and never check first to see if the component is already present and registered. Then somebody uninstalls this No-No Setup-ped crapapp, and it proceeds to delete any number of files yet leaves them registered.

Then every other application using the same libraries is broken and repairing them becomes difficult.

No-No Setup is the main reason registry cleaners exist.

Do not use this thing. At all. Period.

Can it be used safely? Why sure. If you know what you are doing and are always hypervigilent.

But it is like using a lawn mower with no deck cover, bare blades spinning in the breeze. And then you charge a playground full of kids with it.
    Last edited by dilettante; Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:13 PM.

dilettante, what installer do you suggest instead?

Posted on Inno's newsgroup. They came back with the Microsoft link. Very useful! The article is for XP and older. Getting the installer to wrok a little now, but for sensible outcomes it sure takes a few tries to test.
    My advice with Inno Setup is: Setting up installations cannot be done in 5 minutes!

InnoSetupDel.txt
    An uninstall deletion script is attached. In particular it checks for any extra shortcuts or directories in the MyApp folder created by MyApp after the install. But customisable at the DeleteUserFiles routine.
    It's sparsely commented and message box driven, so looks a bit cack handed.

Edit: Hmmm, Inno already had a write-up on the OP here.
    Can anyone confirm that for XP and older the 2004 SP6 files are appropriate to bundle with the install?
    Edit: I think we can safely direct anyone to the 2012 SP6 Cumulative Update if there are issues with VB6 system files.
    Last edited by lmstearn; Jun 27th, 2017 at 08:13 AM.