Thread: [RESOLVED] Where to look to Debug a Web Application?

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Where to look to Debug a Web Application?

While half way entering the code for a sample Web project, I did something to cause the error messages below. What puzzles me is the line numbers in the errors -1, 104, 105; none of these numbered line are appear in the provided code below nor any of the ancillary files. How/Where to look for correction? TIA JP

Code:
    ' Project:          CH 9 HandsOn
    ' Programmer:       Bradley/Millspaugh 
    ' Date:             Jun 2010
    ' Description:      A Web site to calculate the extended price for books sold,
    '                   at discount, and the discounted amount. Calculates and displaysthe total discounts.
    '                   Uses validator controls for input validation.
    ' Folder            Ch09HansOn                  
    ' Exercise:         From "Programming in Visual Basic 2010" by Julia C. Bradley & Anita C. Millspaugh
    '                   On page 286 - 393.
    '
    Partial Class Default_aspx
        Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Private DiscountTotalDecimal As Decimal
        Const DISCOUNT_RATE_DECIMAL As Decimal = 0.15D

Protected Sub ClearButton_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ClearButton.Click
            ' Clear previous amounts from the page.
            QuantityTextBox.Text = ""
            TitleTextBox.Text = ""
            PriceTextBox.Text = ""
            ExtendedPriceTextBox.Text = ""
            DiscountTextBox.Text = ""
            DiscountTotalHiddenLabel.Text = ""
            DiscountTotalLabel.Text = ""
            ErrorMessageLabel.Text = ""
        End Sub

Protected Sub SummaryButton_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles SummaryButton.Click
            ' Displaythe total discount.

' DiscountTotalLabel.Text = "Total Discounts: $" & DiscountTotalHiddenField.Value
            DiscountTotalLabel.Text = "Total Discounts: $" & DiscountTotalDecimal.ToString

End Sub
    End Class
    }

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error BC30456 'Context' is not a member of 'my_project_default_aspx'. 1_My Project_Default.aspx d:\documents\visual studio 2017\Projects for the Web\Chapter 9 HandsOn\Chapter 9 HandsOn\My Project\Default.aspx 1 Active
    Error BC30456 'Context' is not a member of 'my_project_default_aspx'. 1_My Project_Default.aspx d:\documents\visual studio 2017\Projects for the Web\Chapter 9 HandsOn\Chapter 9 HandsOn\My Project\Default.aspx 1 Active
    Warning Another object on this page already uses ID 'errormessagelabel'. Chapter 9 HandsOn d:\documents\visual studio 2017\Projects for the Web\Chapter 9 HandsOn\Chapter 9 HandsOn\My Project\Default.aspx 104
    Warning Another object on this page already uses ID 'ErrorMessageLabel'. Chapter 9 HandsOn d:\documents\visual studio 2017\Projects for the Web\Chapter 9 HandsOn\Chapter 9 HandsOn\My Project\Default.aspx 105

Re: Where to look to Debug a Web Application?

The error is occuring in another section of your code.

Code:
    Error	BC30456	'Context' is not a member of 'my_project_default_aspx'.
    Context isn't being declared whatever it may be. When you run does it highlight this error or does this error occur in studio without running?

The warnings are like errors, but I don't have the rest of the code so I can't give you any more details on the warnings in your exception details.

I would try to post more code specifically if there is anything where it says "Context" as that is where the error is occuring.
    Disclaimer: When code is given for example - it is merely a example.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

Normally this error usually indicates that the partial class is not named correctly.

Check the Inherits attribute in your .aspx file if the value matches with your .aspx.vb class name.
    Code:
    <%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Default.aspx.vb" Inherits="_Default" %>
    Then your class name should also be _Default.
    Code:
    Partial Class _Default
          Inherits System.Web.UI.Page	  
    End Class
    CodeBank: VB.NET & C#.NET | ASP.NET
    Programming: C# | VB.NET
    Blogs: Personal | Programming
    Projects: GitHub | jsFiddle
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Rating someone's post is a way of saying Thanks...

Thread moved to ASP.NET.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

You don't want to know.

The reason you get line numbers that don't seem to exist in the file is a side-effect of the magic of how ASP works, I got familiar with this because WPF does similar things.

When the app is compiled, the .aspx file, any code in the HTML, and a lot of auto-generated stuff gets generated by the toolchain. That final file with all the generated/combined code is what ACTUALLY gets built. That means the line numbers you get back only make sense in the context of that file, which may or may not exist in one of the /obj directories. It's usually futile to try and track it down though, because getting an error like this one usually indicates something like what's been posted: VS is saying, "Not all of the files are connected like they should be."
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Lively Member

Thanks to all who responded! The code listed above was my first attempt to build a Web Page, albeit a line for line entry of a working example. The error made all variables in the project undeclared, preventing any meaningful debug/run exercise. "Context" is currently a mystery for me to research! Checking the Inherits attribute in my .aspx file if the value matches with your .aspx.vb class name will also be a new adventure! Thanks again for the guidance. JP