Thread: Application That Doesn't Open a Form on Load

Application That Doesn't Open a Form on Load

Looking for a way to have the application run code when opened but not show any interface or program on the task bar (but still create a process for the app). Thanks!

Re: Application That Doesn't Open a Form on Load

You mean like a Console application?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    You mean like a Console application?

-tg
    I'm really new to vb.net, so I guess? How would I go about setting that up? My apologies

What do you want your app to actually do? A console application will display a console window but there will be no interaction with the user unless you write to or read from the console. It's possible to display no feedback to the user at all but that's usually considered a bit dodgy. Would it perhaps be appropriate to display an icon in the system tray while your app is running? Note that, while you may be new to creating software in VB.NET, you're not necessarily new to using software so you should be able to describe the app from a user's perspective at least.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    What do you want your app to actually do? A console application will display a console window but there will be no interaction with the user unless you write to or read from the console. It's possible to display no feedback to the user at all but that's usually considered a bit dodgy. Would it perhaps be appropriate to display an icon in the system tray while your app is running? Note that, while you may be new to creating software in VB.NET, you're not necessarily new to using software so you should be able to describe the app from a user's perspective at least.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, it may seem dodgy, but this is for personal use only. Using a console project still opens up a console. My goal is to have it open up nothing.

You can create a Windows Forms application, disable the Application Framework in the project settings, create your own Main method in a module and make that the startup object, then just do everything you want there without creating a form.

You can create a Windows Forms application, disable the Application Framework in the project settings, create your own Main method in a module and make that the startup object, then just do everything you want there without creating a form.
    Would you mind explaining to me how to use methods/modules and where code would go in those respective areas? Appreciate the help!
    Last edited by avengedev; May 29th, 2017 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by avengedev View Post
    Would you mind explaining to me how to use methods/modules
    I would actually. I'm more than happy to help with the difficult stuff but we can't really go over the basics for everyone individually. If you need a grounding in the basics then I suggest that you follow the beginners tutorial link in my signature below. It's quite useful. Once you've got a grasp of the fundamentals, try again and we can help if you come up against specific issues.

I would actually. I'm more than happy to help with the difficult stuff but we can't really go over the basics for everyone individually. If you need a grounding in the basics then I suggest that you follow the beginners tutorial link in my signature below. It's quite useful. Once you've got a grasp of the fundamentals, try again and we can help if you come up against specific issues.
    Will do. Thanks for the help!

If you are looking for a good tutorial/reference site, many people around here point to http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/NET/vbNet.html
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    If you are looking for a good tutorial/reference site, many people around here point to http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/NET/vbNet.html
    As does that link in my signature.

The links in your signature are good browsing in general. I feel that you've done the best job on drag-and-drop that I've ever read.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I feel that you've done the best job on drag-and-drop that I've ever read.
    You're going to make me .