Thread: Improve the search efficiency and accuracy of the vbforums

PowerPoster

Improve the search efficiency and accuracy of the vbforums

I often ask questions in the vbforums. I worry that it will affect others if I ask too many questions. So I prefer to search for answers in vbForums. But I found that vbForums' advanced search tool is very very inconvenient.

When I search for an answer in the branch "Visual Basic 6 and Earlier", it always shows me other branch content, such as C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET, and so on. In fact, I just want to search for information in the branch "Visual Basic 6 and Earlier" and branch "CodeBank - Visual Basic 6 and Earlier".

Could vbForums improve search efficiency and accuracy (for example, add more search options -- branch option )? Thanks very much.

Edit: Google is banned in our country, I heard that Google has some options where other websites can use their tools to do searches. If vbForums could integrate these search tools, then many people could benefit from it.
    Last edited by dreammanor; May 26th, 2017 at 05:52 AM.

Re: Improve the search efficiency and accuracy of the vbforums

Click the Advanced Search link-> Click the "SINGLE" search tab.

It has an option called-> Search in Forum(s): which allows you to search a specific "branch" aka section of the site.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

Steve

Name:  Feedback.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  29.4 KB

Who knew ??
    Brilliant !!

Spoo
    Last edited by Spooman; May 26th, 2017 at 08:03 AM.

PowerPoster

I'm so stupid, I actually did not notice that search Tab. Thanks Steve R Jones, thanks Spoo.

I have a few suggestions:
    (1) The default search tab is "Search Single ContentType"
    (2) The default search range of keyword(s) is "Search Title Only"
    (3) When users enter the Advanced-Search page from the "Visual Basic 6 and Earlier" sub-forum, "Search in Forum (s)" should default to "Visual Basic 6 and Earlier "
    (4) "Search by Prefix" should default to "no prefix"
    (5) When users input multiple search keywords, such as: searchterm1 searchterm2, the search results should be searchterm1 and searchterm2, rather than searchterm1 or searchterm2

A few people have suggested that Google will search VBF more effectively than the built-in tools. I have no opinion on that. I've used both extensively, and both seem to have advantages at times. Still, it is an option.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing