dcsimg

Thread: Permission Denied on iNet control after Windows 10 Update

Permission Denied on iNet control after Windows 10 Update

Not sure this belongs here. Apologies if not. Hoping someone will have an easy answer...

I installed the new Windows 10 update (creative something or other) today, May 24th, 2017). Afterwards, when I opened my VB 6 program that was having no problems yesterday, I received following in a log file:

Line 14: Class InetCtlsObjects.Inet of control Inet was not a loaded control class.

When I tried to re-add the component (Project, Components, check 'Microsoft Internet Transfer Control 6.0'), I get permission denied. The path is to a new windows sub-directory SysWow64\MSINET.OCX. I tried running as admininstrator, tried running 'Take onwership' on the directory, no go. Also, tried adding the control by doing a Browse and going directly to the System32 directory and selecting it here, but it seems to hang.

Any assistance is appreciated,
    nick

PowerPoster

Re: Permission Denied on iNet control after Windows 10 Update

Might be another unrelated issue.

But...

Don't install our buggy Windows 10 Creators Update, begs Microsoft

That's almost a month old but caution may still be indicated.

Microsoft's enterprise customers won't be getting the update for months, thankfully. Instead, it is consumers and small businesses who are being used as livestock to clear the minefield. Moo
    I hate to suggest that you roll it back. Right now we have no way to know whether that caused your problem or not. Are any other controls impacted in such a manner? Are you sure this was the only thing that changed?

Yup! Only change. It's nice that they tell people not to install it, but then continue to push it. Damn! That's irresponsible.

thanx for response. Rollback it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Might be another unrelated issue.

But...

Don't install our buggy Windows 10 Creators Update, begs Microsoft

That's almost a month old but caution may still be indicated.

I hate to suggest that you roll it back. Right now we have no way to know whether that caused your problem or not. Are any other controls impacted in such a manner? Are you sure this was the only thing that changed?

Any assistance is appreciated
    Only thing I can suggest, try to run Sysinternals Process Monitor.
    Use filters:
    1. Process name vb6.exe (if no effect, try without it).
    2. Operation is not SUCCESS.

Run VB project with elevated Admin.
    Find ACCESS_DENIED errors in log.

Maybe, it try to access some registry entries that has more protected (by LOCAL SYSTEM ACLs) in Creators update.
    BTW, use can reset such keys by my HiJackThis (in signature) => Tools => Regitry key unlocker.

Good luck,
    Alex.

Was confident that that was the cause since there was nothing else done. I do the rollback and all is back to what it was.

thanx again,
    nick

Quote Originally Posted by dgflory View Post
    Yup! Only change. It's nice that they tell people not to install it, but then continue to push it. Damn! That's irresponsible.

PowerPoster

Seems odd that only the one OCX would be singled out.

But these days it isn't needed unless you use it for FTP, something they seem to be trying to eradicate from Windows (UrlMon). For HTTP we have things like WinHttpRequest and XmlHttpRequest.

Quote Originally Posted by dgflory View Post

In all fairness they said don't install it unless it is offered by Windows Update i.e. don't download it and upgrade your system yourself. It seems the update process is deliberately not offering it to systems that are likely to have problems (specific hardware etc.)

One last comment, re: "In all fairness they said don't install it unless it is offered by Windows Update i.e. don't download it and upgrade your system yourself. It seems the update process is deliberately not offering it to systems that are likely to have problems (specific hardware etc.)"

I didn't download it myself. I had the offer to install it pop up about 4 or so times recently, finally bit. Ouch!

PowerPoster

Yeah I'm pretty sure they have begun "offering" it. For a while I wanted to get a test machine switched to it for testing. Now I don't have a lot of testing time so I don't want to deal with it and hope it stays away for a while longer.