Thread: ASP.NET 4.5.1 Creating Website

Addicted Member

ASP.NET 4.5.1 Creating Website

Hi,

I bought this book "Beginning ASP.NET 4.5.1 in C# and VB" by Imar Spaanjaars. The book is based on Visual Studio 2013 for Web and I have Visual Studio 2017 in my computer.

When I try to create a simple website by creating a new "ASP.NET Empty Web Site" I don't get all the expected files in my project including the file Default.aspx. I only get the files packages.config and web.config.

What am I missing here? Is there any installation program that I am missing? I installed "ASP.NET and Web Development Package" with VS.

Thanks,

Robert

Re: ASP.NET 4.5.1 Creating Website

I think that what you want is the ASP.NET Web Forms Site template rather than ASP.NET Empty Web Site.

King of sapila

You can add any files you want afterwards.
    ASP.NET site template is adding some default files that you may not need at all and, if you are just beginning, may confuse you.
    I would suggest adding a blank web page yourself from the solution explorer and read the examples that the book (probably) has.
    If you add a default web site and you want to use the examples then you may be forced to start deleting code and markup from your page, to start the example on an empty page.
    That's what most of the beginners books show (if i remember correctly). Build something piece by piece on an empty editor.
    But it's your choice anyhow.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I think that what you want is the ASP.NET Web Forms Site template rather than ASP.NET Empty Web Site.
    Thank you guys for your help. Creating a new ASP.NET Web Form resolved my problem. Thank you.