Thread: Formatting in DataGridView not working correctly?

Lively Member

Formatting in DataGridView not working correctly?

Hello! I am trying to format a specific column to work with currency. I went into the designer, changed the format setting for the column to C2(currency to second decimal place) and when I go to debug, it for some reason does not format. Here is the line of codenames correlate with where they go to column)
    Code:
            DataGridView1.Rows.Add(txtName.Text, txtCredit.Text, txtPrize.Text, txtPurchaser.Text)
    I had made a variable named credits and had it declared as a decimal and had it be credits = txtcredit.text and in that line of code above have it do: credits.ToString("c") and see if that would work. It didn't :/

Thanks in advance!( I am still learning too)

Lively Member

Re: Formatting in DataGridView not working correctly?

Hi Dragnorian,
    i believe you need this:

Code:
        Private Sub DataGridView1_CellFormatting(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellFormattingEventArgs) Handles DataGridView1.CellFormatting
            'this formats all cells in column 0 excluding the newrow
            If e.ColumnIndex = 0 AndAlso e.RowIndex <> DataGridView1.NewRowIndex Then
                e.Value = CDec(e.Value).ToString("f2")
                e.FormattingApplied = True
            End If
        End Sub
    This was taken from:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...idview-control

Hope it works!

Lively Member

It did! Thank you very much!!!

The reason that it didn't work in the first place is that numeric format strings only work on numbers and you are providing a String rather than a number. You don't actually need to do as Weeluke suggests if the grid is read-only. You just have to provide a number, e.g.
    vb.net Code:
    1. DataGridView1.Rows.Add(txtName.Text, CDec(txtCredit.Text), txtPrize.Text, txtPurchaser.Text)
    If the grid is not read-only though, I think it would still fail if and when the user typed a new value into a cell, because that new value would be interpreted as a String. I think that, in that case, you'd have to bind the grid to a data source that defined that column as being numeric, e.g. a DataTable with a DataColumn that had its DataType set to Decimal.