Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] Regular expressions: VBScript.Regexp alternatives (PCRE)

PowerPoster

Re: Regular expressions: VBScript.Regexp alternatives (PCRE)

@Dragokas - I've made modifications to VBPCRE2 to include GlobalSearch, IgnoreCase, and Pattern properties in the main class.

Also found this post by Dilettante re: use reserved keywords via a TLB: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...s-Member-Names

Not sure I have the stomach to try it out now, but it might help with the Global property. It would be nice to match VBScript Regex object member names exactly so that we have a drop-in replacement for it.

jpbro, I add zip-file with dll-maker, tlb and ready project,
    just to show you (demo, not in production) that it is possible, based on manual posted by dilletante.

However, I don't think this is a good idea (for current stady of development, at least):

1) Any modifications in prototype of methods/properties or adding a new one will require editing the ODL and re-compilation of TLB (you can't just add them to class). Maybe, it is acceptable to convert project to TLB version when you completely finish it.

2) I still unable to prepare correctly this part of ODL:
    Code:
        interface _CPcreMatches : IDispatch {
            [id(0x68030000), propget]
            HRESULT Count([out, retval] long* );
            [id(00000000), propget]
            HRESULT Item(
                            [in] long p_ZeroBasedIndex, 
                            [out, retval] _CPcreMatch** );
    		/*				
            [id(0xfffffffc), hidden]
            HRESULT Enumerator([out, retval] IUnknown** );
    		*/
            [id(0x60030001)]
            HRESULT Add(
                            [in] BSTR p_TextToSearch, 
                            [in] long p_OvectorPointer, 
                            [in] long p_MatchCount);
        };
    After compilation and adding TLB to project, IDE said: "Bad interface for implements: method uses type that is not supported by Visual Basic"
    on this line:
    Code:
    Implements PCRE.IPcreMatches
    So, currently no support for your enumerator in the demo:
    Code:
    'Public Function IPcreMatches_Enumerator() As IUnknown
    '   Set IPcreMatches_Enumerator = mo_Matches.[_NewEnum]
    'End Function
    Again, repeat that I don't think addaing this feature now is a good idea, as since it greatly complicates the further coding.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dragokas; May 29th, 2017 at 05:52 AM.
    Malware analyst, VirusNet developer, HiJackThis+ author || my CodeBank works

PowerPoster

That's really great Dragokas, thanks for putting it together! I agree that we should wait until everything is more or less complete before pursuing this further since it will require unnecessary extra work if we have to keep editing the ODL file.

As for the problem with the enumerator, I'm out of my depth here, but we can tackle it later. Thanks again

@Dragokas,

you have to derive your IUknown from stdole. Randy Birch quotet an old VB6-KB Article 194913 PRB: Visual Basic and Visual Basic for Applications Do Not Understand IUnknown** Data Type in MIDL Type Library in which the problem is explained in more detail.

Unfortunately, the forum does not allow me to send a link to Google Groups. But the message title you're looking for is Variable uses a type not supported in Visual Basic (Error 458).

Norbert

jpbro, I did it just for interest. I think it's possible to create a something like auto-convertor: from actual project to TLB variant.

oumba, thank you. I'll try find it.
    Last edited by Dragokas; May 29th, 2017 at 04:12 AM.

oumba, nice. Made it works.

When IUknown derived from stdole, it requires mktyplib.exe to be properly compiled, not MIDL. Mktyplib produces other compilation problems.
    So, I successfully used another recommendation together with MIDL:
    Code:
    HRESULT Enumerator([out, retval] IEnumVARIANT** );
    and
    Code:
    Public Function IPcreMatches_Enumerator() As IEnumVARIANT 'IUnknown
       Set IPcreMatches_Enumerator = mo_Matches.[_NewEnum]
    End Function
    Previous attachment is updated.

PowerPoster

There are a few caveats when using MIDL to create vb6 typelibs.

You either have to import stdole2.tlb into your typelib (for the typical iunknown definition used by vb6)
    or you have to edit the "base" idl files such as Unknwn.idl to properly change them without getting redefinition errors.

Modifying these files directly is the only way to get around the compilation issues.
    Also you can keep the modified files in the same directory as your typelib - and MIDL will use those over the ones in your DDK/SDK folders. That way they only apply to the current typelib, and you can keep the DDK ones pristine / unmodified.

NOTE:
    These issues were originally worked out by McKinney (Hardcore VB) the creator of Win and WinU.tlb.
    Win/WinU.tlb was the first huge Win32 API Typelib for VB6 built using MIDL.

@dragokas just adding to the discussion, you've actually fixed the issue the more correct way.
    Just trying to spread the knowledge.
    Last edited by DEXWERX; May 30th, 2017 at 07:04 AM. Reason: corrected import file name.

PowerPoster

Just updated the code over at GitHub with preliminary support for a Replace method that wraps the pcre2_subsitute method.

@Dragokas & @DEXWERX & @oumba - thanks for you work on the TLB and autoconverter...I haven't had a chance to look at it in depth yet, but once I firm up the project's object model I'll give it a spin. Much obliged!

Hi, @jpbro !

Since we decided to follow a pure Pcre2 naming model with just a little additions (like, SubMatches),
    I decided to make a proxy-dll, that fully imitate VBS.Regexp object model.
    Benefits of such dll: it can be added to any project that already use a LOT of lines with VBS.Regexp calls (with predominantly late binding) without needs to change anything in source code to move to Pcre. Just need to do replacings like 'set oRegexp = CreateObject... => to 'set oRegexp = new cRegexp'.

Need some help. Break my mind and don't undestand why your CPcreMatches returns _NewEnum and my cRegExpMatchCollection doesn't (the code is almost same) ?
    Can you look, please => sub 'TestRegex3' - var. 'lo_Matches'. 'For each' failed.
    The same in your sub 'TestRegex2' - var. 'lo_Matches2' works well.

@DEXWERX, thanks for information.
    Attached Files Attached Files

PowerPoster

@Dragokas - thanks for the work and feedback at GitHub - I've had to work on other things this week, but I will get back to VBPCRE2 ASAP.

For your enumerator to work, you need to set the procedure ID to -4 for the Enumerator function. To do this:

1. Click the Tools menu, then click Procedure Attributes.
    2. In the Name box, select Enumerator
    3. Click the Advanced button.
    4. In the Procedure ID box, type -4
    5. Select the Hide this member option
    6. Click OK and then save the project. The enumerator should now work.

Name:  Procedure Attribtues for Enum.png
Views: 949
Size:  21.7 KB

I finished portable proxy wrapper.
    Benefits:
    - opportunity to switch beetween VScript.Regexp and PCRE2
    - automatically switch to PCRE2 if creating instance of VScript.Regexp is failed (damaged vbscript.dll file or registration info).
    - simple to integrate to a big project that is already use VBScript.Regexp, just replace a declaration and "= new" keywords.
    - fully imitate VBScript.Regexp object model
    - portable (1 class + 1 tlb + 1 dll) or (1 class + 1 tlb + resource-file for pcre2-16.dll, that is mean single exe)

Sources and details: https://github.com/dragokas/VbPcre2
    It's early alpha version.

Time for hard testing.

I opened several issues in jpbro's repository. Feel free to make hints.

Also, I noticed that PCRE2 doesn't support \u sequence that is a big problem for me: http://www.regextester.com/pregsyntax.html
    So, what is mean UTF-16 when we compiled pcre dll ?

I need to use such patterns like: \u5378\u8F7D

PowerPoster

FYI you can similarly set the procedure id of the default enumerator in a typelib.

Code:
    	 	[id(-4)] LONG _NewEnum([out] IUnknown** ppunk);
    edit:
    actually you already have the equivelent...

Code:
    [id(0xfffffffc), hidden]
            HRESULT Enumerator([out, retval] IEnumVARIANT** );
    Last edited by DEXWERX; Jun 19th, 2017 at 03:21 PM.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragokas View Post
    Also, I noticed that PCRE2 doesn't support \u sequence that is a big problem for me: http://www.regextester.com/pregsyntax.html
    So, what is mean UTF-16 when we compiled pcre dll ?

I need to use such patterns like: \u5378\u8F7D
    PCRE2 *does* support \u, but by default, it assumes Perl itself handles preprocessing. If you want PCRE2 to manually handle \u, you need to set the PCRE2_ALT_BSUX options bits when compiling the regex (via pcre2_compile). See details here:

http://pcre.org/current/doc/html/pcre2syntax.html#SEC3
    Check out PhotoDemon, a pro-grade photo editor written completely in VB6. (Full source available at GitHub.)

PowerPoster

Thanks for that clarification Tanner.

@dragokas - when using my VBPCRE2 wrapper, can you try me.Options.Compile.AlternateBsuxHandling = True and see if that works? I'll happily handle any errors over at GitHub.

PS: Please pull the latest version from GitHub because I made some fixes to the Options classes earlier.

PowerPoster

I finished portable proxy wrapper.
    Thanks for your work on this! I probably won't get a chance to take a look at it until tomorrow, but it sounds great

@Dragokas: Can you upload all required/output .dlls under a VbPcre2 project release please.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Tanner_H, that's nice news. Thank you.
    jpbro, AlternateBsuxHandling works well. Now, with \U, \u \x support. Yes

wqweto, please look now. I updated both release and .\using directory. However, "release" have only redistributable files (no demo).

1.1 Beta
    Added unicode support for RichTextBox
    Added missing RICHTX32.OCX and reg-free manifest
    pcre2-16.dll added to resources with ID 501.

1.0 Beta
    Added GUI
    Added all using examples in frm-file.
    Applyed all PCRE2 wrapper fixes by jpbro.
    Added .PCRE2 property => for accessing directly to PCRE2 wrapper object model.
    Added missing .FirstIndex property
    Added Wrapper's object model tree in comments of frm-file.
    Cleaned garbage in TLB and maker, hided private methods and some fixes.
    Flag "Alternate Bsux Handling" (ability to use \u, \U, \x in pattern sequences) set to TRUE by default now.

Name:  money.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  33.4 KB

jpbro, I can double the same GUI for committing to your original wrapper if you liked it.

I must said, currently ProxyWrapper fits all my needs in post # 1,
    and already integrated to a project with long complex regular expression patterns without errors.

So, the topic can be considered as resolved.

I noticed, that PCRE2 considers "$10" as replacing string a bit differently than VBScript.Regexp.
    He thinks that 10 is a 10-th group. In the same time VBScript.Regexp think that it is 1-st group (see example in screenshot above: I specificially set a dot - $1.000).
    How can this problem be resolved? - I want remove dot (.) here: "$1.000", but PCRE2 will think that $1000 is a 1000-th group, instead of 1-st.

Re: [RESOLVED] Regular expressions: VBScript.Regexp alternatives (PCRE)

You can use ${1}, ${2}, etc. for numbered substitution placeholders, kind of the same way named groups are referenced -- ${name}

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

For those interested, my PCRE2 wrapper (VBPCRE2) is now an ActiveX DLL. Available here: https://github.com/jpbro/VbPcre2

PowerPoster

In case anyone is using my VB PCRE2 wrapper out there, there have been a couple of small improvements/bug fixes in the last couple of days. The latest version is available on GitHub (MIT licensed source and binaries) here: https://github.com/jpbro/VbPcre2

Hi, Jason. Thanks for the update.
    Unfortunately, I currently have no time to make new face for your ActiveX.
    But I will look ASAP, as well as adding fixes to my wrapper accordingly to your recent patch.

PowerPoster

Unfortunately, I currently have no time to make new face for your ActiveX.
    But I will look ASAP, as well as adding fixes to my wrapper accordingly to your recent patch.
    No worries! I know we're all volunteering time here, so I don't have any expectations of things getting done at any particular time (or even at all!)

PowerPoster

Just wanted to let everyone know that VbPcre2 has been updated with a new build of the latest version of the PCRE2 library (version 10.31).

Get the latest version at GitHub: https://github.com/jpbro/VbPcre2/.

Special thanks to Tanner Helland for pointing out that there was a new version available, and for his invaluable assistance getting the new version of PCRE2 built!

Is shipping both pcre2-16.dll and VBPCRE2.dll separately made on purpose? For instance pcre2-16.dll to be updated separately or something?

I'll take a look if pcre2-16.dll can be staticly compiled in VBPCRE2.dll -- will be much more convenient IMO.

Edit: Cannot find lib folder w/ pcre2-16.dll sources it was compiled from and/or any build scripts. Is it the stock .dll from PCRE distribution?

Btw, binary/build artefacts is more convenient to be distributed under releases tab while repo's bin folder only contains scripts and similar (.bat files, README) to facilitate library release/debug builds.

cheers,
    </wqw>
    Last edited by wqweto; May 17th, 2018 at 01:39 AM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Is shipping both pcre2-16.dll and VBPCRE2.dll separately made on purpose? For instance pcre2-16.dll to be updated separately or something?

I'll take a look if pcre2-16.dll can be staticly compiled in VBPCRE2.dll -- will be much more convenient IMO.
    Well not necessarily on purpose, but not really by accident either. Having them separate does let me build the 2 DLLs only as needed which has some benefits if there are only changes in one of the DLLs. Since I already having to ship an external DLL with my apps (VBPCRE2.dll), having to include a second one (pcre2-16.dll) doesn't seem much more painful to me. Actually, I already ship 20+ DLLs with my main application, so what's one more

That said, if it's possible/easy to link them together in a single build with some kind of automated process then I'm not against merging them. I just don't want to add a lot of manually steps if I don't have to.

Edit: Cannot find lib folder w/ pcre2-16.dll sources it was compiled from and/or any build scripts. Is it the stock .dll from PCRE distribution?
    I've built the DLL using unmodified PCRE2 source found here, using Tanner's instructions in this GitHub issue.

That said, I may have a licensing conundrum (and it may even affect whether or not we can statically link pcre2-16.dll and VBPCRe2.dll).

First, PCRE2 is BSD licensed, which doesn't seem to require me to distribute any additional source code or files used to build the binary - but I may well be wrong about this. It does seem to require that I include the license text available here, so I will make that addition to the LICENSE file ASAP.

The tricky bit is this: VBPCRE2.dll is MIT licensed - so can we statically link a BSD licensed DLL with an MIT licensed one? If so, what else are we required to provide in terms of source/files used to build and link them? TBH I'm a bit out of my depth, here, but I think I'll open an issue at GitHub to start a discussion and make sure everything is above board.

Btw, binary/build artefacts is more convenient to be distributed under releases tab while repo's bin folder only contains scripts and similar (.bat files, README) to facilitate library release/debug builds.
    Thanks for the heads up about GitHub Releases...I'll take a look at what needs to be done to use this feature going forward.

I appreciate your feedback, cheers!
    Last edited by jpbro; May 17th, 2018 at 10:07 AM.

PowerPoster

Hyperactive Member

can any one make a wapper of deelx for vb6?
    http://www.regexlab.com/en/deelx/
    it seems very much delicious.

Hyperactive Member

i have tested Dragokas' and jpbro's vbPCRE2
    test only one expression.
    Private Sub Form_Load()
    Dim c As IRegExp

mTimer = 0
    Set c = New cRegExp
    Debug.Print mTimer

mTimer = 0
    c.Global = True
    c.Pattern = "([a-z])\1"
    Debug.Print c.Execute("aabbccddeeff").Count
    Debug.Print mTimer

Dim d As VBPCRE2.cPcre2
    mTimer = 0
    Set d = New VBPCRE2.cPcre2
    Debug.Print mTimer

mTimer = 0
    d.GlobalSearch = True
    d.Pattern = "([a-z])\1"
    Debug.Print d.Execute("aabbccddeeff").Count
    Debug.Print mTimer

End Sub
    'Dragokas'
    'jpbro's

By, default my proxy-wrapper uses VBScript.Regexp.
    I hope, you didn't forget about:
    Code:
    c.UsePcre = True
    when you initialized the class.

Complete project with examples is here: https://github.com/dragokas/VbPcre2

Hyperactive Member

i m compare efficiency between ur wrapper and jpbro's
    did i use it wrong?
    it seems ur wrapper is quicker in initialize,
    but slower in runtime

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()
        Const n As Long = 100
        Dim i As Long
        Dim lng As Long

Dim c As IRegExp

Debug.Print "Dragokas wrapper:"

mTimer = 0
        Set c = New cRegExp
        Debug.Print "Initialize:" & vbTab & mTimer

c.UsePcre = True
        c.Global = True
        mTimer = 0
        c.Pattern = "([a-z])\1"
        For i = 1 To n
            lng = c.Execute("aabbccddeeff").Count
        Next i
        Debug.Print "Execute:" & vbTab & mTimer

mTimer = 0
        For i = 1 To n
            c.Test "aabbccddeeff"
        Next i
        Debug.Print "Test:" & vbTab & vbTab & mTimer

mTimer = 0
        For i = 1 To n
            c.Replace "aabbccddeeff", "$1"
        Next i
        Debug.Print "Replace:" & vbTab & mTimer

Debug.Print "jpbro wrapper:"
        Dim d As VBPCRE2.cPcre2
        mTimer = 0
        Set d = New VBPCRE2.cPcre2
        Debug.Print "Initialize:" & vbTab & mTimer

d.GlobalSearch = True
        d.Pattern = "([a-z])\1"
        mTimer = 0
        For i = 1 To n
            lng = d.Execute("aabbccddeeff").Count
        Next i
        Debug.Print "Execute:" & vbTab & mTimer

mTimer = 0
        For i = 1 To n
            d.Test "aabbccddeeff"
        Next i
        Debug.Print "Test:" & vbTab & vbTab & mTimer

mTimer = 0
        For i = 1 To n
            d.Replace "aabbccddeeff", "$1"
        Next i
        Debug.Print "Replace:" & vbTab & mTimer
    End Sub
    Code:
    in IDE test result:
    Dragokas wrapper:
    Initialize: 0.0079
    Execute:    21.0799
    Test:       2.0151
    Replace:    1.1002
    jpbro wrapper:
    Initialize: 2.8076
    Execute:    6.8408
    Test:       1.8128
    Replace:    0.8613
    and while compiled:
    Dragokas wrapper:
    Initialize: 0.0201
    Execute:    11.515
    Test:       1.091
    Replace:    0.2866
    jpbro wrapper:
    Initialize: 3.3294
    Execute:    3.334
    Test:       1.0692
    Replace:    0.3066

Hyperactive Member

i have a problem using your wrapper in office 2010 vba x86
    all these lines expose an same error:
    Public Function IRegExp_Replace(sourceString As String, replaceVar As Variant) As String
    Public Function IRegExp_Test(sourceString As String) As Boolean
    Public Function IRegExp_Execute(sourceString As String) As IRegExpMatchCollection
    "The procedure declaration does not match the event description, or the procedure has the same name"

Now, it is used correct.
    I don't have time at the moment to add suppot for Office.

PowerPoster

use chrome v8.dll only need 2mb size,for call js Regexp method,maybe very quickly

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    use chrome v8.dll only need 2mb size,for call js Regexp method,maybe very quickly
    Excellent idea !

If Olaf could integrate V8.dll into vbRichClient5, that would be great.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Apr 6th, 2020 at 01:16 AM.

PowerPoster

The entire code is implemented in vb6 as a multi-functional component, encapsulated into com dll. It is equivalent to a top-level vb6 developer who brings together excellent algorithms and shares them for free for everyone, which is very good.
    I don't know if there is a com dll library developed with vc ++ that integrates a large number of functions, or a standard dll. That must be the fastest operating efficiency.
    It's like asking vc ++ to develop a vba8.dll (com dll), or msvbvm60_advance.dll

Hyperactive Member

i have tried to compile the latest version of 10.37
    and have tried to add more features of vbPCRE2.dll

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12