dcsimg

Thread: Save a system drawing?

Save a system drawing?

So, for my programming 1 class, we're doing our final project right now. I want to create a game that will allow you to create a character by drawing him kind of like how https://make8bitart.com/ and have it in a picturebox or something, I haven't done too much research on system drawings. So I want to be able to create that drawing and reference it later in other forms as the "character". How would I do that/is it possible?

Re: Save a system drawing?

I'd have to say that seems a bit ambitious. A drawing program alone, seems like a pretty good undertaking for a programming class. Having that as a single part of a larger game might be going a bit far. However, maybe not. If you could say that any character would be some fixed size, such as 32x32, then you could create a simple array of UInt and set a color into each grid cell as the painting. You could have a picturebox at some zoomed in size (some multiple of the number of pixels, such as 256x256, such that each 'pixel' in the image was an 8x8 area of the Picturebox), and do the drawing directly into the PictureBox using nothing more than GDI. As long as you didn't go overboard with effects, and just set colors, removed colors, and so forth, it would probably be doable as part of a larger project. Though, aren't you awfully close to the end of the school year?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'd have to say that seems a bit ambitious. A drawing program alone, seems like a pretty good undertaking for a programming class. Having that as a single part of a larger game might be going a bit far. However, maybe not. If you could say that any character would be some fixed size, such as 32x32, then you could create a simple array of UInt and set a color into each grid cell as the painting. You could have a picturebox at some zoomed in size (some multiple of the number of pixels, such as 256x256, such that each 'pixel' in the image was an 8x8 area of the Picturebox), and do the drawing directly into the PictureBox using nothing more than GDI. As long as you didn't go overboard with effects, and just set colors, removed colors, and so forth, it would probably be doable as part of a larger project. Though, aren't you awfully close to the end of the school year?

We have this weekend and then the next week to do it. I'm being a little ambitious right now and haven't completely decided what to do for it but this was my goal. So what you're saying I could do is create like a fixed "character" that every character would be and the customization would be limited by the colors and such?

That would be easier than creating a drawing program in a week. If you've got an idea for a game, I wouldn't bother with doing anything fancy with the characters to start with. That can be added later. You're likely to have your hands full with the rest of the work.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing