Thread: Database for vb. Net 2013 and 2015

Hyperactive Member

Database for vb. Net 2013 and 2015

Hi.
    I've many applications developed on Vb. Net 2010.
    In those apps, only for run in desktop and in one computer per instalation, I have allways used SQL server compact.

Now, in 2013 or 2015 i cant use sql server compact neither sqllite

(At the moment, I cant use 2017 because of crystal reports. )

Sqlcompact gives me erros, and I try a lot of solutions.
    With sqllite, i cant use data Soure wizard, and its crucial for my apps.
    So, i only can use ms access? Wich other solutions can i use?

Local db i cant, because i need a password in my database.
    Mysql isnt solution because the client instalation must be user friendly with one only simple setup.

What databases do you think i can use?

Thanks
    Last edited by helderjsd; May 1st, 2017 at 01:40 PM.

Re: Database for vb. Net 2013 and 2015

Is MS SQL Express too much of a product for you to use? It is free.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    Is MS SQL Express too much of a product for you to use? It is free.
    Hi
    In my opinion have two problems in this case.
    First, a Huge amount of data need tô be transfered and installed
    Second, its not possible protect the database file with a password
    It helps? So Rate it

Quote Originally Posted by helderjsd View Post
    Hi
    In my opinion have two problems in this case.
    First, a Huge amount of data need tô be transfered and installed
    Second, its not possible protect the database file with a password
    So what? It can handle large data. I believe the limit 2 Terabytes... something like that. It's more space than most need at any rate.

As for the password, you're right... sort of. But not really. SQL Express isn't file based. SQL CE is. You don't protect the database file, you protect the database itself with a password. It doesn't take much to load up SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), connect to the SQL Express instance, open the database, create a new admin account, grant it access, remove the sa account... BAM! your database is now password protected. In fact that's the preferred way to go. I never use or even active the sa account when installing SQL Server. I can add/remove users and grant/revoke access as needed.

As for the datasource wizard... it's your only option if it's the only way you know how to connect to the database. Personally I don't use it, I prefer to have a bit more control over the data. So, no Access, isn't your only choice, but when it comes to the wizard, only some database providers are supported. But if you're willing to lay some code yourself and learn a few things, that won't stop you.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but you dont unserstand what I need
    I'm a member of the staff of one Portuguese association (NGO) and want distribute two apps (freeware) for our associates.
    The apps will be available for download in our website, on the reserved area, and its for our assicates install on their computers.
    Most of them have small knowledge of computers, so, the instalation must be the must silent and user friendly possible.

The databases will bo no more than 5.000 records in all tables
    What i want it's a embeded database, wich no need install of other software, and run only one setup, everithing its done

I could use MS access, but have bad experiences in teh past.
    I love sql compact and sqllite but it doesnt work now

So, I'm aking for embeded alternatives for small databases

Thanks
    It helps? So Rate it

SQL CE certainly did have it's place. And the "password" encrypted database was a great option.

LocalDB is supposed to take the place of that - I believe. Is your only problem with LocalDB related to the password encryption?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    SQL CE certainly did have it's place. And the "password" encrypted database was a great option.

LocalDB is supposed to take the place of that - I believe. Is your only problem with LocalDB related to the password encryption?
    Yes.
    Password for this case, in crucial.
    If localdb had password, my problem are solved
    It helps? So Rate it

You can encrypt your own data before placing it in the database though - right?

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Hyperactive Member

In this point is not possible.
    The app allready made in Vb. Net 2005.
    Now i need tô convert them tô 2015.
    Make that, its not possible using my old code
    It helps? So Rate it

MS realized they were giving away the horses and the barn and stopped allowing encryption.

You must roll your own...

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...rum=sqlexpress

5 year old post - maybe something new has happened...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

You can encrypt SQLite. Some free, some cost, some easier to crack. A variety of options are given here.