Thread: MS C++ learning edition guidance

MS C++ learning edition guidance

Hello

A newbie here ; I'd like to know how to use C++ 5 learning edition to make a *.res file. For some reason and it's a long painful story but I can't make those files in VB6

When my C++ starts I see I can make quite a few files (active server page ; binary file ; bitmap file ; header files and a few others) - but what type of file would be a *.res file?

I would be using strings in my *.res file (VB6 project)

Re: MS C++ learning edition guidance

Why are you using a very old version of c++/Visual Studio? The current free version is Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition. See https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/

A .res file in Visual c++ is a compiled resource script - an intermediate file used by Visual Studio. The resource script has extension .rc. So with VS c++ you wouldn't make a .res file, you would make a .rc file.

You also mention VB6 (Visual Basic 6). Sorry, I can't help with VB as I'm c/c++ only.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Thanks for the reply

I've tried to dabble around in Visual Studio and it's like learning to drive again

I'm light years behind in my programming software (VB6 learning edition and MS C++ 5)

My question was; is it possible to make to make a res compatible file for VB6 in MS C++5

I can open those past generated files but if I needed to make another - Can I do it? And if so ; which type of file would I use?
    Last edited by habenero; Apr 27th, 2017 at 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Sorry, but I can't help you re VB as I only use c++.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

I understand

It's just that with C++ 5 I am able to open and edit VB6 res files and I thought I could generate the same kind of file in C++ for VB6

(I know I sound like I'm on drugs - just very desperate to make *.res files for a VB project)

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by habenero View Post
    ... just very desperate to make *.res files for a VB project
    Perhaps ask that specific question on the VB6 forums then?

Edit: NVM, I see you started there a while back.
    Last edited by topshot; Apr 28th, 2017 at 12:29 PM.

maybe so about posting this in a VB forum someplace (and I've had this kind of topic on the burner over in that section/forum for awhile) but I don't think any VB6 programmer could help me there..

I understand that a res file for C++ and a res file for VB6 are like a rhino and a fieldmouse (two way different animals)

Make I should make this one closed and continue to look for a solution

I really do appreciate the replies and help tho

Jeff

Sinecure devotee

Would the resourse editor at www.resedit.net be of any use? It says it supports rc and res files.

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    Would the resourse editor at www.resedit.net be of any use? It says it supports rc and res files.
    Just a note. That site is blocked by my anti-virus.