Thread: Conceal/mask email addresses on a website?

Question Conceal/mask email addresses on a website?

I've been trying some testing services recently to check the vulnerabilities of our website. One of those vulnerabilities is the "exposed email addresses". Those said email addresses are of the officials of the school and it is okay to make them public.

Do I really need to conceal/mask them (from spam bots)?
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Re: Conceal/mask email addresses on a website?

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    I've been trying some testing services recently to check the vulnerabilities of our website. One of those vulnerabilities is the "exposed email addresses". Those said email addresses are of the officials of the school and it is okay to make them public.

You could always post them as an image and not readable text - right?

Bot's picking up email addresses is not nice for those who hold those addresses.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

If you (and they) don't care that they're public and can be scaped, then there is no issue. For example, most universities I browse have the staff information publicly available with an unauthenticated search.

It depends on how much spam they want to wade through, and if they are able to recognize spear phishing e-mails or not. All it takes is one spam e-mail with some ransomware to be clicked on and all of your networked computers might end up encrypted and held for ransom.