Thread: [RESOLVED] How to get the size of the RTF content from the clipboard ?

PowerPoster

Resolved [RESOLVED] How to get the size of the RTF content from the clipboard ?

How to get the size of the RTF content from the clipboard ?
    See below:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: How to get the size of the RTF content from the clipboard ?

APIs. GetClipboardData will get you a handle to the clipboard item. Then you can use GlobalSize API to determine is size (estimated). With text, there can be garbage appended and that's where lstrlenW/lstrlen APIs can help
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

Hi Lavolpe, I found the following code from your AlphaImage, but did not get the size of the RTF, I don't know which parameter is wrong.

Code:
    Option Explicit

' User32 APIs
    Private Declare Function OpenClipboard Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal hWnd As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function CloseClipboard Lib "user32.dll" () As Long
    Private Declare Function GetClipboardData Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal wFormat As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function GlobalAlloc Lib "kernel32.dll" (ByVal uFlags As Long, ByVal dwBytes As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function GlobalFree Lib "kernel32.dll" (ByVal hMem As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function GlobalLock Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hMem As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function GlobalSize Lib "kernel32.dll" (ByVal hMem As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function GlobalUnlock Lib "kernel32.dll" (ByVal hMem As Long) As Long

Private Sub Command1_Click()
        Dim hHandle As Long, lSize As Long

If Clipboard.GetFormat(vbCFRTF) Then
            If OpenClipboard(0&) Then
                hHandle = GetClipboardData(vbCFEMetafile And &HFFFF&)
                If hHandle Then
                    lSize = GlobalSize(hHandle)
                    'If lSize > 0& Then
                        'ReDim inArray(0 To lSize - 1&)
                        'lSize = GlobalLock(hHandle)
                        'CopyMemory inArray(0), ByVal lSize, UBound(inArray) + 1&
                    'End If
                    'GlobalUnlock hHandle
                End If
                CloseClipboard
            End If
        End If

End Sub

Well, for starters this is wrong: vbCFEMetafile
    Also, you gotta release the handle if it returned non-zero. However, vbCFRTF And &HFFFF& is returning a zero handle, looking at it now.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Ok, vbCFRTF is not a valid clipboard format on my Win10 machine. When I copied RTF from WordPad to the clipboard, I enumerated all the formats placed on the clipboard and guess which isn't there? vbCFRTF. That may be an internal constant for vb and when it is used, VB retrieves the correct format handle. These types of clipboard formats are not guaranteed to be the same value day in and day out.
    Code:
    ' API
    Private Declare Function RegisterClipboardFormat Lib "user32.dll" Alias "RegisterClipboardFormatA" (ByVal lpString As String) As Long

Dim realCFRTF As Integer, lValue As Long
    lValue = RegisterClipboardFormat("Rich Text Format")
    ' convert long to integer
    If lvalue > &H7FFF Then 
        realCFRTF = (lValue And &H7FFF) Or &H8000
    Else
        realCFRTF = lValue
    End If
    now you can use realCFRTF with VB's Clipboard.GetFormat and convert to Long for APIs via: realCFRTF And &HFFFF&

That should do the trick. RTF is just one such clipboard format that is retrieved like shown above. When WordPad placed stuff on the clipboard, it placed 10 such formats along with 6 standard formats (none was vb's CFRTF)

PowerPoster

According to your advice, now the problem has been solved. Thank you very much, LaVolpe.