Thread: Visual Studio Issues

Visual Studio Issues

This isn't a c# question but I wasn't sure where else to put it.

I am having constant issues with Visual Studio that are slowing down my productivity.
    1. F2/rename says Unexpected Null.
    2. I can't set breakpoints easily. F9 doesn't give me a red dot on the line. So then I go through the menu options. Enable is not there but disable is, as if it set it but didn't give me the visual. So I disable then enable, then I have it.
    3. I just got this error message: A type or generic instantiation needed to evaluate this expression does not exist in the process being debugged. I got it when I tried to examine "e" in the debugger. My procedure signature is: private void gvParts_CellValueChanged(object sender, CellValueChangedEventArgs e). So why wouldn't e be unavailable to look at? sender is ok.
    4. When I modify lines of code as I am debugging, it chokes and stops my program from running though VS is still ok (I use the term loosely). It's as if I hit stop.
    5. There is probably more I am not remembering.

I keep Visual Studio running when I leave at the end of the day. I don't know if it gets tired. Should I just exit out and start fresh every day? Should I reinstall? I recently got a new laptop and IT restored all my software, but it is probably the same copy I used to have and not a reinstallation.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MMock; Apr 24th, 2017 at 12:00 PM.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Re: Visual Studio Issues

I notice your still on Update 2, have you thought about upgrading to update 3?

Thats what i have installed and i have very few problem with VS, and it does represent itself as a performance and stability release -

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vis...5-update-3-rc/
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I took your advice and did that. Thank you.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

An issue still remains; have you encountered this? While I am running, my code should be editable but it alternates between being and editable and not. I have to execute another instruction in order to have it become editable again. It is not in the "middle" of anything that needs to complete. It just locks. That is one of the problems I was hoping to fix.

Can you give us some more context?

If your inside a method and you hit a break point in that method can you edit inside it?

If you hit a line which is calling another method does that stop you editing e.t.c ???
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Ok, next time I am debugging I will try to capture more info.

In the meantime, here is something else, and I don't think it's ever happened until today. I was looking at a windows form in the designer. I double clicked a button because i wanted to add code to its click event handler. VS opened up the cs file, but brought me to the top, not to the event. I did this again and then on another form, same thing. I closed the solution and reopened and tried it again, and finally it brought me to the event handler. So it seems these stupid little glitches start happening, I have to close it, then it's better again.
    Last edited by MMock; Apr 25th, 2017 at 06:01 AM.

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Does this happen with one project only or other projects also?

I spend about 95% of my time in one project so the answer is "one project" but maybe that's because I'm not in the others much.

Quote Originally Posted by MMock View Post
    Ok, next time I am debugging I will try to capture more info.

In the meantime, here is something else, and I don't think it's ever happened until today. I was looking at a windows form in the designer. I double clicked a button because i wanted to add code to its click event handler. VS opened up the cs file, but brought me to the top, not to the event. I did this again and then on another form, same thing. I closed the solution and reopened and tried it again, and finally it brought me to the event handler. So it seems these stupid little glitches start happening, I have to close it, then it's better again.
    I have had that happen to me but very in often. Normally it has been when i have third party controls on the form. I seem to remember in some other thread, do you use DevExpress controls by any chance?

The only time i have had this happen to me was with a project with Telerik controls, and the solution was to upgrade my controls to the latest versions, and then everything was working again. I think somehow the set of controls in my Toolbox where out of sync with the ones on my actual form.

Yes, I use DX controls. Thanks for that tip about upgrading. I know I am behind on the latest version. Again, it's just an annoyance but in addition to all the other annoyances they add up!