Thread: vb6 to delphi forum

Hyperactive Member

vb6 to delphi forum

Hello,

I am starting the excruciating task of learning Delphi,

Has anyone found a forum that will answers delhi questions in reference to vb6..

kind of like in vb6 I do this:

so in delphi do this?

Thanks

Re: vb6 to delphi forum

I certainly don't have any direct answer to your question. However, many moons ago, I did do a touch of Pascal programming. And I still do a bit of C programming.

When switching from C to VB6 (and vice-versa), the one thing I have to remember is that C passes arguments ByVal by default and VB6 is ByRef by default. Also, C uses a semicolon as a line terminator for the code, whereas VB6 uses a true vbCrLf as a line terminator for the code. Sure, there are MANY other differences, like all the use of curli-braces, but those sort of take care of themselves.

In some sense, Delphi may be sort of in the middle between VB6 and C. Not nearly so many curli-braces, but still much of the look-and-feel of C.

Once you get over the initial hump of staring at Delphi code, I bet it comes easier to you than you think.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

This isn't a cheap product, the stripper version being around $1400 USD:

https://www.embarcadero.com/app-deve...s-store/delphi

There have also been radical changes over the product lifetime, fairly recently some pretty non-trivial breaking changes:

https://www.embarcadero.com/rad-in-a...upgrade-center

The community has always been small compared to VB, and gets smaller by the day. Of course the VB6 community isn't exactly a thriving and vibrant bright spot in that regard either. It mostly gains a few converts from Office VBA now and then but not a lot more.

But at least Delphi is a living and growing product. That can be a blessing or a curse due to the high rate of churn.

PowerPoster

When dealing with pointers and memory - It's a built in part of the language.
    Seems great! But it's so verbose, that it actually ends up being way more confusing than the equivalent VB or C/C++...
    /endrant

that's my only real gripe with the Delphi.

Hyperactive Member

DEXWERX,

that is exactly right. the verbosity is the hard part...

I simply want to paint on a picture box and I have to go 3 objects deep... and in firemonkey (their cross platform framework its worse, have not figured it out yet)

You all know I wish vb6 could persist, but I need cross platform capability today.

PowerPoster

I suppose there may be some Delphi forum out there where they want to convert VB users to Delphi but in all the years I've been on forums I have rarely heard Delphi mentioned at all and the majority of those posts were by the same user.

I've barely looked at Delphi myself back when it was new and some thought it may be the way to go but I quickly lost interest in it and moved on.